CrazyBoards.org

I think it's time for me to come off the Zyprexa...I've stabilized and I wasn't supposed to be on it "forever" anyway.  My neuro wasn't too pleased when he heard and well...anyway, I've made the decision.  I want to quit.

So I'm assuming I need to taper? Has anyone done this before? My doc is a bit of a goof at times and will probably just want to pull it cold turkey.  My concerns are rebound insomnia and other brain heebie jeebies...depression, anxiety etc...

I'm hoping that my two other anticonvulsants will keep me levelled off but I know they won't help for sleep...not with my dosing schedule and Topamax (the nightly one) never made me sleepy to begin with.  I could get a refill of my old benzo.

Suggestions? A taper schedule that has worked well for anyone in the past?

Much obliged,

Karen

Hey Karen,

I did it quite a while ago, but seem to remember tapering 5mg every week...and that worked pretty well for me. I was on Klonopin at the time, too, so that may have helped. Good luck with it!

Janice

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Janice...that's what I was thinking of suggesting but good to know someone else has done it!

Karen

Karen,

I have missed a nightly 10mg of Zyprexa and did get a bad case of rebound insomnia. Other than that I have usually cold turkeyed off of Zyprexa without a problem in the past but this time I have been taking it long term. I have only suffered the rebound insomnoia so I would think tapering should solve this problem.

Good luck,

Erika

Karen,

I have missed a nightly 10mg of Zyprexa and did get a bad case of rebound insomnia. Other than that I have usually cold turkeyed off of Zyprexa without a problem in the past but this time I have been taking it long term. I have only suffered the rebound insomnoia so I would think tapering should solve this problem.

Good luck,

Erika

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Erika...good to know.

Karen

I was only on 5 mg so I thought I could hack it coming off cold turkey.

I was walking death.  I couldn't sleep, barely kept my eyes open during the day, felt like my arms and legs weighed a thousand pounds.  My pdoc took one took at me after a week and threw a prescription for Topamax at me that I had been asking for for months at me.  He actually said,  "My god, you look like shit."

However, I had come off it the year before and flew into a mania and then a month long depression where I couldn't get out of bed.

So....

Good luck!

;)

Went off zyprexa (5mg) cold turkey with no effect other then insomia, but I had insomnia before I started taking it, so not sure I can blame it  ;) Went back on zyprexa cause I rather enjoyed being able to sleep.

• 3 years later...

How do you taper off this Zyprexa. Have been on it for 8 months! Thanks!!!!

I went from 20mg to 10mg (2 weeks) then 5mg (2 weeks also) then 2.5mg (again, 2 weeks).

When I came off of 2.5mg, I didn't sleep for about a week, and after that, crashed into a dark depression (which other meds managed to pull me out of).

Best of luck coming off of the stuff.

• 3 years later...

I been on zyprexa for almost a year, i started at 10 mg and in 3 weeks i gained 30 pounds, it gave me high blood presure, high cholesterol, it stopped the anxiety attacks but i didnt like the side effects so i quit cold turkey, big mistake, i lost 20 pounds in 5 days cause i couldnt eat, i couldnt sleep, it was like i was half awake and half asleep, i had the shakes very bad and nonstop anxiety attacks, i thought i was going to die, nothing helped, then i went to the emergency room and they gave me a shot of adavan and it took the edge off but the symptoms was still there, i went to my doctors office and got more zyprexia, i took one 10 mg pill and in about a hour all the symptoms went away, my appetite came flying back and in a 2 week period i gained 20 pounds back, the high blood presure and high cholesterol came back as well, i wanted off this drug cause i seen what it could do to me, i went from 10 mg down to 5 mg for a week in a half or until my body ajusted then down to a 2.5 mg until my body ajusted then a half of the 2.5 mg until my body ajusted, did this for a few weeks and remembered that adavan helped me before so went to my doctor and got some, started taking that 3 times a day for 3 days then stopped the zyprexia, after 7 days i felt those symptoms coming back so i took half of 2.5mg zyprexia and they went right away, its been 13 days now and going, this is the medical part of my story, now for the spiritual part, i gave my life to the Lord Jesus Christ when i first started zyprexia, and he has kept me safe cause i believe i could have died from the enormous amount of stress quiting zyprexia put on my body and mind, God brought me through all of this and no one told me how to come off zyprexia but the wisdom of God, he allowed me to go through the pains of it all to draw me closer to him, it worked, my blood presure is normal so far, havent had my cholesterol checked yet but zyprexia makes it high so i know it will be good, this story is for all who need help with this drug, its a monster and should be banned, but all in all turn to God, he is the answer.

• 1 month later...

I am brazilian so please forgive my English mistakes.

I´ve ben put on Zyprexa for about 10 months due to Post-traumatic disorder and Psychosis. The starting doses was 10mg and in the first two months I gained 33 lbs and then complained to my doctor about weight gain, tiredness and lack of motivation. He agreed to reduce my dose to 5mg and gave me the freedom to test even if 2.5mg woudn´t feel better so after a month I was on 2.5mg and felt overall better and could control my weight again.

Two months ago I decided I was stable and that I was better before I started taking this medication so I decided to get off it by myself since I have consulted with 5 different psychiatrist and I was dissapointed with all of them for different reasons. I don´t think It was a good decision, I believe I should have asked a doctor about it.

So I did some research on Internet and based on other's experiences I decided I had to taper off very slowly. I bought a very accurate milligram scale that can measure each 0.001 G. I started to take away 0.001g every day for some time (My 2.5mg zyprexa comes on a capsule filled with a white powder which acctually weights 160mg)... I started at 2.5 mg and when i was about 1.9mg I didn´t feel very good so I decided to reduce 0.001 G every other day... Now I am at 1.05 and I am feeling OK, my sleep is not that great but I have been sleeping 9 hours a day and I do feel a little irritaded and tired but overall I am glad I am becoming my old self again.

I would recommend this site for you in addition.

http://holisticpsychiatrist.com/2010/05/06/five-easy-tips-on-how-to-withdraw-from-antipsychotics-safely/

Zyprexa is really a great med. it's too bad so many people get off of it so quickly. I think I gave it a good year before I got off of it to truly test it. Most people drop it after two weeks or so.

It worked wonders for me and wors wonders for many others as well. However the weight gain and the high cholesterol and glucose is very unhealthy. Some weight gain is ok, it really is, but the other health concerns are not ok at all.

Personally, I find seroquel a good substitute for zyprexa. I know it has the same problems as zyprexa, but some call it zyprexa light. So who knows. I guess it depends on the individual as well.

Archived