CrazyBoards.org

not sure where to post this question, sorry if this is not the right place.

i went off oral contraceptives two months ago cuz they didn't mix with the ADs and i couldn't handle the side effects. now that i'm doing well and going off the ADs (and in a relationship), i want to go back on the pill. any advice on which oral contraceptives are good for those prone to depression? obviously i'm gonna talk to the gyn about it, but i wondered it any of you had some suggestions.

thanks in advance,

haley

I take Yasmin. It is supposed to - according to my gyno-have alot fewer side effects than other pills. I have also heard of asome low-dose bc pill that is lowdos and i forget what it's called. mel

I vote for Yasmin too.  I have been on it for 2 years.  It helps the physical symptoms of PMS as well as the mood issues.  It also is pretty good at not causing weight gain.  Avoid mini pills or progestin only pills (POP's), because they are likely to cause depression.

Katie ;)

thanks ladies!

the health center started me on ortho tri cyclen low (they dont carry yasmin, but its cheaper to get the pills thru teh clinic than an outside pharmacy), so i'm gonna try this one for two months and see what happens. if it doesn't work, i'm gonna take your advice and ask for yasmin.

thanks again!

Guest Lynne

What about Modicon. You know, I have been on these now for three months and my depressions have become a lot worse. I am wondering and had wondered if this was doing it. I think I am going to ask for Yasmin again. I don't remember being so moody on that.

But did anyone ever take Modicon and have problems?

• 3 weeks later...

OK I think I'm the only male poster, but . . .

my gf found the only (not exactly oral) contraceptive that didn't give her crazy mood swings was the Nuva Ring. Has the added benefit of only having to remember it once a month.

OK, my one cent.

-K

I'm on the BC patch (Ortho Evra) and LOVE it!  So far, 6 weeks into various ACs and I haven't had a problem with it (knock on wood).  I can't tolerate BC pills (neither could my mom) even the low dose ones, so it's been a lifesaver for me.  And the patch really does stay on....I swim frequently, have been in hottubs, jet skiied in the ocean, etc....patch stayed on...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Since so many people are taking Yasmin, I was wondering if people could list their side effects. I'm on month 1 and just want to know what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Side effects:

Less PMS

Less bloating

My skin cleared up. I used to have a zit every month. Now I have none.

No bad side effects at all.

Heya,

On my Lamictal and OCP thread, people seem to like the ring.

Low-dose, supposedly.

I'm trying it.

But, I worry about sex drive, b/c on past low-dose OCP (Alesse) mine sucked even un-depressed.

Yasmin has similar s/e to any other OCP.

Just another voice here, to add another thought. Unless you have a medical reason to be on OCP (for example, painful or heavy periods, or mood stabilization) barrier methods are a good option. My favorite was the cervical cap, in my younger more active years.

I only went on OCP in my 40s for mood stabilization. In spite of its ease as a contraceptive method, I'd be using the cervical cap in a New York minute if I didn't need to be on OCP for other reasons.

Just a thought. I'd imagine many -- if not most -- women here are using OCP for reasons other than contraceptive as well.

Heya ladies,

The best birth control is (if you have one partner) vasectomy.

;) (smiley but true)

As revlow said, barrier methods have no s/e unless you're allergic to latex.  And female condoms aren't latex.

--ncc--

Archived