CrazyBoards.org

So Frustrated

I'm having another flare up of my back/leg/nerve pain. So tuesday I called the neurology clinic at the VA hospital. For some reason my neurologist was unavailable so they had another neurologist call me back. He sent me to the emergency room for an evaluation and to get an MRI ordered as I was also having weakness in my left leg. The ER doctor looked at my record and said "I don't believe you have anything wrong with your back-- but I see you have a history of mental illness so I think you have been faking this pain for the past 4 years"!!!!!!! I looked at him and said "I'm not even going to give you the satisfaction of reacting to that statement". He ordered the MRI and I left without even any pain medicine or a proper evaluation.

They still hadn't contacted me about getting in for what was supposed to be an urgent MRI. I can barely walk around my house I am in so much pain. So I called the MRI clinic today. Turns out he put the MRI order in as regular instead of urgent thus meaning it could be months before I get my MRI. So I called the Neurology Clinic and the Patient Advocate. I've just called neurology again and while they are just as frustrated as me because they wanted this order to be expedited they seem to be at a loss as to what to do about it. The whole stupid VA system is absolutely ridiculous. It makes me feel like I am chasing my own tail.

That would be the reason why I have some degree of permanent brain damage now.

I'd bitch a little more about improper evaluation of neurological symptoms in mentally ill patients, but I think my laptop doesn't want to get thrown out of my hotel window right now.

Archived