CrazyBoards.org

People who are insensitive to bipolar disorder-

hiya-

this is a personal story. i want to know if you have experiences that are similar.

i'm in the middle of this court trial thing, and the defense spies on me (i shit you not), and reads everything i write on the internet (so i write a lot ;) ), and i'm sure would take a shower with me if they could.

all of this is in an effort to say that i obviuosly don't know rhyme from reason, and therefore can't tell you for sure that this guy is a predator. i obviously can't tell because i'm obviously nuts, and nutso people obviously don't know if they're raped.

so, do you have similar stories?? stories about how people love to abuse your dx as a way of harming you somehow? an example would be like in a divorce, if your ex tried to get the kids on the basis that you're crazy, and so on...

I am pretty sure I have either not gotten jobs, or lost jobs, because I am ADD/BIpolar, which I had to disclose (the meds) for the drug tests. Nothing was said, of course--thats illegal--but the atmosphere deffinately changed.

Hang in there, Loon--I know what discrimination by the legal system is like--you can do this, just stay strong and stick to your guns (well, not literally)

love, china

Hey Loon,

I got divorced a few years ago, and that happened to me! I thought I'd lose my son in a custody battle, but they ruled in my favor. My ex husband lives across the country from me, so I have sole custody and our son will visit him during the summer and school breaks that are long enough.

I thought for sure that the legal system would discriminate against me. I was surprised that I was taken seriously in court and they didn't look at me weird.

As China said, hang in there! People suck sometimes, like I think they suck for you now. Keep strong-

DP78

• 2 weeks later...

My ex took all my journals, called my parents, my therapist, my p-doc and said I was going to kill myself. I was at work at the time. This was on the advice of of his attorney. We did not have a child together, I had 2 teens. This was over STUFF. I just about ended up being psycho. I did survive.

I had friends in AA and they suggested I pray for him every day for 30 days everything I could want for myself, peace, health, happiness, serenity, etc. It worked. I didn't have to smile through it, just do it. I felt as if I didn't I would start gunning down soldiers with my car. I was still crazy.

I hope all works out for you and this is over soon.

Peace & Serenity, Sondra

I have 2 stories about how I was treated because of my BP.

1) I got into a car accident about 5 years ago. I was injured and taken to the hospital. At the time, they thought I had just whip lash so I was sent home. But I had horrible back pain afterwards. I went to a renowned orthopedist in my area and when he asked for my medical history, I told him that I was bipolar. Afterwards, he examined me and told me that he thought that I was exaggerating the pain I was in due to the fact that I was bipolar and sent me home. I'll never forget walking out of his office and into my mom's car crying because I was so ashamed to be bipolar because that was the reason my back hurt. Ater visiting another orthopedist who took x-rays and scans of my back, it was revealed that I had 2 slip disks. I wasn't faking the pain.

2) I was in a relationship with someone for a few months and I felt comfortable enough to tell them about being bipolar. Well my then boyfriend, who is in politics, promptly dumped me because he couldn't have "someone like me" because I would be a liability. Because of that I still have trouble telling people that I am bipolar.

1) I got into a car accident about 5 years ago. I was injured and taken to the hospital. At the time, they thought I had just whip lash so I was sent home. But I had horrible back pain afterwards. I went to a renowned orthopedist in my area and when he asked for my medical history, I told him that I was bipolar. Afterwards, he examined me and told me that he thought that I was exaggerating the pain I was in due to the fact that I was bipolar and sent me home. I'll never forget walking out of his office and into my mom's car crying because I was so ashamed to be bipolar because that was the reason my back hurt. Ater visiting another orthopedist who took x-rays and scans of my back, it was revealed that I had 2 slip disks. I wasn't faking the pain.

Reminds me of a trip to the ER about a year ago when I got a sudden attack of double vision following cortisol treatment for an ear problem. (I had been having attacks of neurological symptoms the past year or so.) The head ER doc saw me and immediately pulled in the ER neuro to write me an MRI order. ER neuro finds out I'm bipolar (by checking my charts), kicks me out of the ER posthaste after patronizing me about how "smart" I was (I'm a neurobiology researcher). She was just one example of a medical professional telling me it was "all in my head"; I'd gotten told the same a few times during the year prior, and a few times the year following.

To some degree, they were correct. It was, in fact, "all in my head", they finally saw it on the MRI in January. That "bipolar somatization" problem actually turned out to be a central nervous system infection, which has since caused me some degree of irreversible brain damage. I can tell you with reasonable confidence that I'm by no means "smart" anymore.... or able to speak in fluent, complete sentences... or able to walk up a flight of stairs without facing serious ideological issues ("wait, these stairs don't look climbable... so I put one foot here... and... wait, that'll make me fall...") ... or able to digest food properly, giving me intractable acid reflux... and you get the idea.

I'm also 23, and was looking into jobs with a lot of presentations and public speaking. Well, that one's sort of sidetracked for now...

...also, it's been mentioned on here that one can avoid disclosure of MI in the ER by omitting crazymeds from the medications list. I don't advocate this, since God knows what meds they'll want to give you in the ER, and how they'll interact with the medications you're already on. For example, Lamictal has no excuse for being for any "physical" condition of mine, and it's got heavy interactions... I can't omit that one from my list.

Guest Capt Duffy

ChinaCat -- an employer must offer you the job before they can require you to take a physical. If you have to take a physical first and then they offer/don't off you the job then they are in violation of the law.

You should check that out.

Archived