CrazyBoards.org

I'm posting an intro. Why not?

Some basics of me: I'm 16, female, ballet dancer, violinist, Discordian athiest, and interested in dog training and cognitive science (and pretty much anything about the mind) among other things. I got a perfect score (1600) on my SAT's when I was 12 and believe in cognitive liberty. I often use too many parenthetical expressions in my writing, I'm a terrible speller despite a reasonably solid understanding of etymologies, tend to write fairly long posts at times, and don't always particularly care about a logical organised flow of thoughts. I'm kind of trying to learn Russian.

What's messed up about me: I have something wrong with my cytochrome p450 although I didn't find that out until after lots of horrible drug reactions. I have been having migaines since I was 8. They can last for many days at a time and are pretty drug-resistant, both preventative and abortive. I also have been diagnosed with depression. Recently it seems ketamine may be having a positive effect on the migraines and depression, or maybe I've just been coincidentally having a good spell, it's too soon to tell. I generally have a very logical mind, or at least can mentally separate logic from emotions and choose which to follow (it's usually logic), and somehow managed to pretty much reason myself out of mild (but diagnosed) anorexia (having that was probably the single stupidest thing I've ever done, but it's not like I did it on purpose. Still.) I also have synaesthesia, which I don't think of as something especially wrong with me, but it is mentally abnormal. I've had times when I drink more/frequently than I should, but I think that's pretty normal. As I get older I've had increasing "gifted under-achiever" stuff going on- lots of this is because I was not allowed to go to college early even though I finished enough credits to graduate high school (and got my first single-course college scholarship when I was 12) and my highschool is limiting the number of AP's it will let me take and putting me in really boring classes. And then asking me to tutor the really unmotivated students who are failing. I can't stand teaching people who are both slow to learn and extremely apathetic. The school situation has caused issues ranging from having to run out from a tutoring class every 20 minutes for a desperate cry in the bathroom (I don't generally show that kind of emotion in public) to panics (often set up by medicines) about being bored in class, because the one thing I am absolutely terrified of beyond everything else is boredom. I must never let myself be bored, and it's hard to even think about how it feels. I used to have issues with insomnia but when I decided it wasn't necessarily worth going to my first classes at school I was able to just sleep when I was tired and it's working out pretty well now and if not I can always just stay up for a couple days and then I'm usually pretty ready to sleep. Speaking of sleep, I've also been having lucid dreams since I can remember.

So, that's the more relevant stuff about me. I'm pretty friendly.

Well, there are a couple groups promoting it I think, but mostly it's just an idea. Basically, it's freedom of thought, including the right to change one's own concious experience, and not have those kinds of mental changes forced upon someone against their will. Sounds pretty fundamental but it's violated quite often.

Well, there are a couple groups promoting it I think, but mostly it's just an idea. Basically, it's freedom of thought, including the right to change one's own concious experience, and not have those kinds of mental changes forced upon someone against their will. Sounds pretty fundamental but it's violated quite often.

I assume you mean this is more of a problem with the crowd that's under the age of majority. (<18 in the US.)

I'm sure it's an issue with everybody (hell, I got turned down for a couple of jobs, and the prospective bosses pretty much said that HR required the candidate to have "Master's of Science" following their name).

Aaaanyways...

Nice to meet you. It's good to find someone else who was a little precocious academically (though it took me until 16 to finish high school and start college, and quite frankly, I think that was too early for me).

I'll come back later and post a little more, right now I've got a wedding to attend.....

How does it deal with situations where you have to interact with other people, like when running errands

I think this is most easily explained through examples rather than trying to make a blanket theoretical statement. You ought not to pull out a realistic toy (or real, I suppose) gun and threaten to shoot people, select one and put the gun by their head, try to make them confess to some fictional crime, and then announce that the whole thing was a mock execution and everyone may now get on with their lives. The alterations in mental state (fear, etc) that were needlessly experienced by everyone present, especially your "victim" and people with certain previously existing mental conditions, should not be forced upon people who do not consent to being brought to this kind of mental state and who may be traumatised etc for quite a while. Of course, most any good idea taken to extremes becomes pretty dumb. If the young daughter of the lady in the checkout line behind you is poking at your groceries, you are free to cause annoyance in the brain of her over-protective self-righteous mother by telling her to keep the kid under control.

I assume you mean this is more of a problem with the crowd that's under the age of majority.

I do in fact mean for pretty much everybody. I'm OK with teaching long division to kids even if they would rather have had 15 minutes more recess instead. Not allowing neural pathways of ordinary learning to be built and reinforced is again exagerating to the point of idiocy. Although parents can restrict what their kids do, there's precious little they can do about their kids' minds that the law and other external forces don't already take care of for everybody. People of all ages can be forced to use medications that hurt more than they help, from situations like long-term poorly designed cocktails (perhaps required to stayout of a hospital, or stay in school, when some other form of therapy would be much better) to things like me being told by doctors that I was a liar for reporting some of the mental stuff (basically really bad trips. at 8 years old. which is a bad combination) I went through on certain abortive migraine meds because it wasn't possible for an 8 year old to experience thoughts and emotions that complex and imaginative and I must simply be parroting descriptions I had heard elsewhere. Thanks, but I think I know what's going on in my own head, and things like that should not be repeatedly forced on me (I was instructed not to repeat the "lies" to my parents, so they were not fully informed when they gave consent to repeat the medicine over my constant protests, tears, screams, young-child-tantrums, that kind of thing.) Incedentally, that's about when I stopped blindly and innocently trusting authorities (ie doctors) to always know better than me what I should do, think, and feel.

Archived