CrazyBoards.org

I have my weekly pdoc appointment on monday and she usually asks me about my week. A lot has happened this past week. Moving house was stressful but missing out on that job made me feel crappy and suddenly changed my whole outlook on life once again, for the worse. But I wonder whether I am 'just' unhappy or am leaning towards depression.

My tdoc says depression is NOT the same as feeling strong negative emotions, like being sad about something, recalling sad or upsetting events and so on.

Is a disappointing event like missing out on a job you thought you more or less had, enough bring about a bout of depression?

How do you tell the difference between unhappiness and depression?

Ok I know when I'm very depressed, but what is the boundary between unhappiness and mild depression?

Good topic. I'm trying to figure the same thing. I mean, I want to go down on my meds again so I can fall pregnant but my doc said that I seem to be still too depressed. But I tend to wonder whether I am just frustrated and unhappy. I'm not sure I've figured it out but Beyond Blue has some interesting info on it, that I've been pondering these past few days. http://www.beyondblue.org.

Bern

I usually can tell if depression is bothering me if the thoughts about pondering existence of this world and other philosophic babble start cycling in my head. And when it's not my depression acting up I usually don't have anything but static going in my head. And for me if I'm pondering suicide it's usually anxiety.

I'm not sure if this helps but if you find certain tells that happen when certain states of mind are going on you might be able to figure it out by yourself (not saying that pdocs aren't valuable just saying that maybe if you can figure out what your head is doing when the pdoc says you are (insert something here) you might be able to figure out when you take action when you need to).

I've often wondered the same thing, too. Though in my case, it was broken heart vs. depression. At least the last time (the most severe episode).

All of my depressive episodes seem to be triggered by negative life events. But I think because of the way my brain is wired, I am unable to recover normally from these events like "normal" people do. And, according to my pdoc, this is a form of depression. Or something. The good news is that a course of antidepressants eventually pulls me out of it and then I'm capable of unmedicated remission... at least until the next negative event (or series of them).

For me (and I think that's really all that this topic can get answers for: I have a feeling everyone's different), unhappiness has a reason and a cause. Depression, while it might have an initial spark, just takes over my entire life. It's not "I feel sad when I think about the guy who stopped calling", it's "I wake up feeling crappy, and I go to bed feeling crappy, and I stay up late and come to crazyboards" (like I said....just me. :-/)

Archived