CrazyBoards.org

PMDD masquerading as BPD (or other PDs)?

I hope some of you gals have some experience with this. I've been thinking a lot about all the crap that's been going on in my life, and I came to a strange conclusion. I have extremely severe endometriosis, so I piggy-back high dose birth control pills and generally only get a period every 6 months or so. It's awful when it comes, but it's the only thing that works because if I were to get it monthly, I'd never be able to hold down a job.

Anyways, I was talking to my fiance and we both agreed that when I finally take the 7 days off the hormones and get a period...I'm a completely different person. our severe fights...never happen when I'm off the hormones. My anxiety level drops. I sleep better. It's bizarre. Especially the no-fighting part because generally all I do is pick fights.

So I'm wondering if their could be a connection? I don't even know if that would be PMDD or maybe I've just been screwing around with mother nature too much.

Anyways, any suggestions would be extremely appreciated.

i'm sure PMS/PMDD makes your moods much worse. i know i can be a nightmare.

as for if all you have going is PMDD....

the dx for borderline is that you have at least 5 of the following symptoms:

1. Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. [Not including suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5]

2. A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation.

3. Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self.

4. Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, promiscuous sex, eating disorders, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating). [Again, not including suicidal or self-mutilating behavior covered in Criterion 5]

5. Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior.

6. Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)

7. Chronic feelings of emptiness.

8. Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights).

9. Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms.

Do you only fulfill the dx criteria when you take those days off the pill?

Borderline is not just about anger after all.

Aren't there surgical treatment options that are less drastic than a hysterectomy?

I would think that that kind of hormone treatment would definately mess with your head, particularly if you've already got hormone issues.

Be aware of breast cancer risks.

Penny - I fulfill the criteria WHEN I'm taking the pills...when I'm off them I don't have any of the criteria. I feel almost completely calm and "normal" (I hate using that word).

Velvet Elvis - There are other surgery options but they aren't great...believe me, I've done my research. You can have a hysterectomy and keep your ovaries, and that way you keep producing hormones naturally and don't need to take any artificial ones. It doesn't work for everyone, but my endometriosis (at this point) is largely confined to my uterus so it would probably help me. Plus, all the women in my family (mom, aunt etc) have had to have one at some point...most of them as emergencies because their endometriosis got so bad.

What do you mean about breast cancer risk though? Do you mean when you are taking hormones?

have you tried a different pill? some pills make me batshit, some i don't notice a difference on at all.

I'm going to ask about that, but I was told to be on this one because it's one of the most effective at surpressing endometriosis growth and monthly periods. Logic would seem to me that not having a period for 6 months for years (I've been doing this for 7 years now) can't be overly helpful...I would think it would screw with your hormones more than what pill you are on. I just lost my ob-gyn though so I need to get a referral a new one.

Some links to info about hormones and cancer risks:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/26/health/2...180&ei=5070 (<-- interview with Dr. V. Craig Jordan, vice president and scientific director for the medical science division at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia. Dr. Jordan is a leader in studying the effects of estrogen-blocking drugs on breast cancer.)

http://www.gladwell.com/2000/2000_03_10_a_rock.htm (<-- regarding birth control pills/breast cancer studies. A long but excellent article.)

The short answer is, there is no evidence that birth control pills increase your risk of breast cancer, in fact they lower your risks of getting endometrial and cervical cancers. With other types of hormone-replacement therapy, the risks are different. Read up.

as far as surpressing your period, risperdal and the mini-pill did that to me. so did taking birth control continuously for years.

my gyn told me it was fine, that she herself does it, and that she'd RX me my birth control that way. then i read that it is bad for you because it increases osteroporosis risk. i honestly don't know what to think. maybe it is different if your body could have a period and just doesn't because of the hormones vs. not having a period at all for any reason. i wasn't having a period at all, so i had amenorreaha (or however it is spelled). now that's bad for you i know. but as i said, i don't know about just surpressing it with pills.

anyway, i'm rambling! ;) ...

loon

*not an MD obviously!*

as far as surpressing your period, risperdal and the mini-pill did that to me. so did taking birth control continuously for years.

my gyn told me it was fine, that she herself does it, and that she'd RX me my birth control that way. then i read that it is bad for you because it increases osteroporosis risk. i honestly don't know what to think. maybe it is different if your body could have a period and just doesn't because of the hormones vs. not having a period at all for any reason. i wasn't having a period at all, so i had amenorreaha (or however it is spelled). now that's bad for you i know. but as i said, i don't know about just surpressing it with pills.

anyway, i'm rambling! ;) ...

loon

*not an MD obviously!*

Don't worry about it! I don't know either...some docs say it's fine, others say it's terrible! But, I've been doing some research and their are actually groups out there trying to stop women from doing it, saying that it has negative long-term effects and things like that. There just seems to be something strange about the fact that I feel so much better when I stop taking the hormones...I literally dread taking them again. Maybe I should try the mini-pill instead? It's less hormones right but can sometimes suppress periods? My problem is that the periods are too painful to have monthly and hold down a job, but I desperately want off the hormones.

Archived