CrazyBoards.org

Weirdest manic episode

When I was living in Maryland, I was drafted into facilitating a panel discussion at the annual Maryland Library Association conference. Right as we were about to begin, the building lost all electric power.

One of the panelists had a small flashlight that he used in the morning so his bus could see him (well, the driver at any rate). I somehow managed to convince 3 of 4 panelists to continue with their presentations in total darkness save a tiny flashlight. We had an audience of about 30 people and I told them just to shout out their questions as we were unable to see raised hands.

Just as we finished with the presentations and the question & answer session, power came back on. It turned out that the audience had grown to over 200 people because all the other presentations had shut down.

I know this was out of character for me; normally I wouldn't have a clue what to do other than cancel the presentation.

Tommy

well, i only had one manic episode, but here's the weirdest.

kind of hard to explain, but i had learned to relax my body muscle by muscle. it was kinda like a vision.

so, on the streets of Seattle, i laid down on a brick wall and proceded to relax. people were watching me because i had just gotten into an argument with a street vendor. i did hear one girl say that she was starting to become uncomfortable due my relaxed state.

i then left my purse on the ground (nothing in it) and the same street vendor moved it out of the way and then told me where it was once i had relaxed.

weird.

oh, i can still relax my entire body in this manner to this day.

I mean anyone. Whenever I'm manic things are so good and so great, but when I crash my mind goes back and I obsess about how deluded i was.. thats all. I always question my judgment.

For me it was around ten years before I was diagnosed, so I just sat and wondered what the hell happened. So I guess I did over analyze it and still didn't get it right.

Tommy

For me it was around ten years before I was diagnosed, so I just sat and wondered what the hell happened. So I guess I did over analyze it and still didn't get it right.

Tommy

About nine years before I was diagnosed, I decided it would be a good idea to take off for the mountains with a guy I barely knew from work, telling no one at all where I was going. It was an adventure, this guy was exciting and seemed a little bit dangerous... surrrre, why not take off for a remote destination with him? It was just the culmination of weeks of increasingly atypical behaviour for me. I stayed gone for about 36 hours or so -- long enough for my long-suffering then-boyfriend to file a missing persons report on me.

About nine years before I was diagnosed, I decided it would be a good idea to take off for the mountains with a guy I barely knew from work, telling no one at all where I was going. It was an adventure, this guy was exciting and seemed a little bit dangerous... surrrre, why not take off for a remote destination with him? It was just the culmination of weeks of increasingly atypical behaviour for me. I stayed gone for about 36 hours or so -- long enough for my long-suffering then-boyfriend to file a missing persons report on me.

Yeh i've done that - i'm undiagnosed. lol

I met up with some random guy at a club and decided (stupidly) after much self-medication it would be great to drive to the coast and hang out for a few days.

The entire situation ended in disaster but it was an experience.

• 4 years later...

Ive had three manic episodes; one in 2007, and two in 2011.

The one in 2007, I was conducting some training at Fort Polk, Louisiana and I lost control of my emotions while talking to a peer about being deployed downrange. We were disussing the effects of IEDs and what vehicles were better suited to different ttypes of explosions when suddenly I just began to cry. All the while I was thinking this was odd for me but at the same time I was thinking about the men we lost in IEDs and it just pulled at my heart. Well after I dry my tears, I went to the water buffalo (a water container on wheels) and washed my face. While washing my face I looked up at jsut the right momnet and saw a MEDEVAC helicopter. My mind went into hyper mode and I had the sudden overwhelming need to get my wife, our child and me on that helo ASAP. Well I ran after it. In hindsight its a good thing they had the airfield fenced off, or else I would have reached the helo and then who knows what would have happened. Im married but we dont have any kids. I dont know why I was thinking that. Afterwards, my 1SG and afew other Soldiers came to my rescue. I went to the hospital and they said I was having medical induced psychosis due to Chantix. I had been taking it for about a month and just quit smoking. That earned me a two week stay at a inpatient hospital to make sure I was ok and the effects had worn off.

After that one, I was re-assigned like always in the Army as we had been there for afew years. In between 2007 and 2011, I was deployed twice to Afghanistan with my unit and after 27 months deployed I had some PTSD issues and I picked up smoking again.

When I returned from the last deployment, I was on Wellbutrin to help quit smoking again. Well it worked. After being on it for four months, I stopped cold turkey. Bad idea. I didnt know any better and about 30 days later I was in a mixed state mess. I was crying at the stupidest commercials, laughing at memorial ceremonies, and driving like an idiot on the autostradas. Its by the grace of God I didnt hurt myself or anyone else.

At one point I contemplated killing myself, it was the weirdest feeling to think it and know it wrong and then laugh and cry at the same time. I knew I needed help. I called my wife and told her what happened, she freaked and with the help of the neighbors car, found her way to me. I called my 1SG and Chaplain and told them what happened and how I was feeling. With their help I was sent to an Italian hospital and then to Landsthul then to Walter Reed and then to where I am now. After two months in various hospitals I thought I was fine. They told me it was PTSD and psychosis due to Wellbutrin. While in hospital, they had me on Zyprexa, but they didnt give me anything after I left. That was a big mistake.

Three weeks later, I began to feel off. I noticed how everything was connected, that music had colors and feelings, food had no taste and I didnt need sleep. My wife saw it and somethings not right. She talked me into going to the ER and talking with a psych. Im glad she did because I was having my third manic episode. Long story short, I was there for two weeks and learned about my new DX of bipolar and what to expect.

Ive learned alot over the last few years. The biggest being who I am and what I have to deal with. But happily, I have my loving wife to help me though it all.

Archived