CrazyBoards.org

Cymbalta and OCD

I have felt for years that my husband has OCD and I have asked in many different ways for him to get a proper psychiatric evaluation for it. He usually gets defensive. Not that I blame him. I know first hand that no one wants to hear that they need a psychiatric evaluation ;) There's really no nice way to say that.

Anyway, recently he was injured at work and his doctor put him on Cymbalta for the pain. I'm wondering if we could get lucky here and the Cymbalta may treat his OCD symptoms as well? I feel really guilty and sneaky for thinking this way, but his OCD is really bad and disruptive and has pushed us to the brink of divorce. I love him and don't want him to suffer with a disorder when I know he does not have to.

I don't know how long he will be on the Cymbalta for. Does anyone have experience with this? How long before Cymbalta takes effect? I know for me, anti-depressants usually take a few weeks to kick in.

Thanks for any help.

Guest Guest_thepunisher_*

I am heading back to cymbalta or effexor for ocd/anxiety and trying to find out what peoples experiences have been to. I will follow the post and hopefully we will get some people that know people or have tried it to respond and let us know ;)

I have felt for years that my husband has OCD and I have asked in many different ways for him to get a proper psychiatric evaluation for it. He usually gets defensive. Not that I blame him. I know first hand that no one wants to hear that they need a psychiatric evaluation :) There's really no nice way to say that.

Anyway, recently he was injured at work and his doctor put him on Cymbalta for the pain. I'm wondering if we could get lucky here and the Cymbalta may treat his OCD symptoms as well? I feel really guilty and sneaky for thinking this way, but his OCD is really bad and disruptive and has pushed us to the brink of divorce. I love him and don't want him to suffer with a disorder when I know he does not have to.

I don't know how long he will be on the Cymbalta for. Does anyone have experience with this? How long before Cymbalta takes effect? I know for me, anti-depressants usually take a few weeks to kick in.

Thanks for any help.

I've never been diagnosed with OCD, but definitely have some tendencies at times, especially when depressed. During my last bout of depression, I had some serious rumination issues (bordering on obsessive) and the Cymbalta kicked it right in the ass within a week of starting it. I don't know how well it will work on full-blown OCD, though.

I have severe OCD and have been on Cymbalta (30 mg.) for a month now. It's definitely helped; my mind feels much calmer (for the most part), and though I'm still going in circles with compulsive behavior, it has improved a little. As far as I'm aware, the best treatments for OCD are high doses of an SSRI or an AP. I'm hoping my pdoc will add an AP to my regimen next...I would love to kick the OCD for good!

The Cymbalta kicked in within a few days. Apparently it hits the norepinepherine receptors immediately.

Archived