CrazyBoards.org

How many have been hospitalized?

Have You Been Hospitalized? How Many times?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Have You Been Hospitalized? If Yes, how many times?

• No, I have never been hospitalized
    • Yes, 1 time
    • Yes 2-3 times
    • Yes 4-6 times
    • Yes, 7-10 times
    • Yes, more than 10 times

After returning home yesterday from my first hospitalization, I am left wondering if this is a one time thing or something I can expect to recur at various points throughout my life due to the nature of bipolar disorder. Any thoughts, opinions?

Who has been hospitalized and if so how many times have you been in?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been hospitalized and in a lock up psych ward many times. Trying to not need another trip as we "speak" , too much overwhelming stuff going on and paranoia, but I'm better at dealing with it all these days...mostly

Panz

Twice long term, but of my own accord if you can consider accord being, "sign the papers yourself or we bring around he guys in white with that long-sleeved jacket that's so popular".

Lot's of trips to the hospital for general oops, took to much of that or got too zealous with the cutlery.

I think #3 is looming around the corner right now. We'll know next week.

5 times for periods of up to 6 weeks.

1 time for 2 days, after which I checked myself out b/c the nurses ignored me when I asked for my ativan (as prescribed by pdoc!) in the middle of the night, and b/c my room mate was seriously out of it after ECT and snored so badly I wanted to kill her.

Oh, and another time in a regular hospital ward for 3 days before I was finally referred to a real pdoc. That was fun. I was in a medical ward and put into a room with someone who had some or other lung disease and coughed up blood all night. The nurses didn't know what the hell to do with me.

I only consider the 5 extended periods as "real" MI hospitalisation.

5 times for periods of up to 6 weeks.

I've been fortunate in that all my stays were just over a week. Still, I used up all my hospital days with my insurance except 2-3 days (until next calendar year).

Tommy

sorry HT - I didn't mean to imply that only real treatment goes on for over a month -- it was just that my other 2 experiences seemed kind of pointless. I didn't learn anything (other than that patients with lung disease are really really unpleasant roommates)

sorry HT - I didn't mean to imply that only real treatment goes on for over a month -- it was just that my other 2 experiences seemed kind of pointless. I didn't learn anything (other than that patients with lung disease are really really unpleasant roommates)

Mia,

I didn't think you did. Lots of the stuff we did in the hospital seemed meaningless; I cringed every time they got out the crayons to make us color photocopies of really lame pictures ;) The first time I was in the hospital we actually made things out of beads (shades of basketweaving); I made a lizard and still keep him hanging from my truck's mirror. First I kept him there as a reminder that I never wanted to go to the psych ward again, but eventually he came to serve as a reminder that the hospital is a safe place to be when feeling suicidal.

Tommy

ahhhh the BEADS. btdt too! That wasn't too bad.

I was once banned from music therapy (= sit around and listen to music, then <cringe> sing along). They were upset with me for expressing my rather violent opinion at joining in with Bette Midler and "From A Distance" ;)

But yes, I do agree that it's the safest place to be when you're unstable or just wanting to end it all.

I've been hospitalized once... just once. That was 20 years ago. We mostly sat around talking, watching TV, and playing cards - I learned how to play spades there. I remember ordering pizza a couple of times. It was a state hospital. I was there for two or three weeks - I can't remember anymore. We didn't have "music therapy" or beads, or coloring. I remember being bored *a lot* when we weren't in group therapy. I still remember some of the stories of the people who were there... They'll stay with me forever.

It's a very long story how I ended up in the hospital, but it put me off of *ever* calling a suicide hotline ever again. My weakness is my strength. I'm too "strong" to call anyone when I need help. I'm one of those people who suffers alone and no one even knows that I'm hurting. Damn these masks.

My twin has been hospitalized at least four times that I know of - she also has bi polar, but she swings to the depressed side more often than I do, she's non med compliant, she drinks, and she used to do heavy drugs. Our stories are different.

I've been hospitalized twice for mi issues. They were only for a few days each, but it was enough to help. We did do the coloring and painting and piano and other creative outlets. I agree that it is not to be feared but to revered as a safe place to be. That's how I feel. That it was a safe place that I almost didn't want to leave, but it was a good hospital (Stanford), and I was fortunate to have great health insurance at the time. I don't foresee a visit anytime soon at my current health care plan's hospital because of my good med cocktail, but who knows what tomorrow will bring....

I have been in the hospital 3 times over my life time. The first time was when I was 13. I am now 24. The next 2 times took place last year. I was bored out of my mind there. I came close twice this year already but I didn't go in. Thank God for that. I hope and pray I will be able to make it this year without having to go into the hospital.

I was hospitalized once (age39) for OD'd on pills. Boring but safe. Hope to not go back but it is a safe place if I have to. The group therapy was geared more towards alcohol/drug issues. Already new the med education being a nurse. Enjoyed the art therapy...painted a piggy bank for my 4 yr old and a horse for my 3 yr old.

I realize now that I didn't actually answer you question about what to expect.

There's no way to know, but as others have said, it can be a safe place and very helpful (short or long stay).

My last stint was 3 months and I was released under protest from the staff with provisions that my mother fly over to France to care for me and I had a series of appointments with a very good shrink lined up. I was missing my son so much I just couldn't bare staying any longer.

I learned loads of arts and crafts things that I really did enjoy. Group was fantastic. I was even allowed to put together informal english classes that turned out to be good fun. The clinic I was was beautiful with gardens and a river (I was only ever allowed out with either a nurse or trusted inmate, but made the most of it). There was a very good gym and I got in shape like I had never before or since. I kind of see why guys in prison spend so much time working out--not much else to do.

Granted, I also continued to SH and spent days upon days lying in bed crying even while drugged to the gills.

I guess what I'm saying is, the stigma of having been "inside" is hell to overcome, but never put that before getting the right help and being in a place where you are cared for and watched for your own safety.

i was hospitalized once in seattle for 2 weeks 4 years ago. i was just visiting, am from georgia.

i did some crafts. tried a puzzle but too difficult at the time so i see why they keep it to simple things.

i had no problems. i don't even think i knew what the implications were at the time or even what is good or bad about the place. just know it didn't suck.

Archived