CrazyBoards.org

are there any psych meds left to try?

do you know of any psych meds that have nothing whatsoever to do with the dopamine, gaba or acetylcholine systems whatsoever, and no effects whatsoever on any of them?

i'd rather not get into my reasons for asking- i'd just appreciate anything you know of. thanks!

do you know of any psych meds that have nothing whatsoever to do with the dopamine, gaba or acetylcholine systems whatsoever, and no effects whatsoever on any of them?

That's a tall order, as dopamine hitches a ride on the noradrenaline transporter, and can be downregulated by one or more serotonin receptors.

So, you've ruled out the antipsychotics, monoamine oxidase inhibitors, tricyclic antidepressants, stimulants, Provigil, benzodiazepines and related GABA-ergic sedatives, almost all of the "smart drugs", many if not all anticonvulsants, Wellbutrin, Effexor above 200mg/day, alcohol, OTC sleep meds with diphenhydramine, the less-selective SSRIs (Prozac, Zoloft ... actually some researchers believe that SSRIs work by indirectly affecting dopamine transport, so maybe all of the SSRIs), probably St. John's Wort and passionflower extracts.

Indirect dopamine effects via the NA transporter knocks out Stratterra, Edronax, and Cymbalta.

That leaves maybe agomelatine, tianeptine, lithium, and valerian root if you can't get to sleep. You could also try yoga.

That's a tall order, as dopamine hitches a ride on the noradrenaline transporter, and can be downregulated by one or more serotonin receptors.

So, you've ruled out the antipsychotics, monoamine oxidase inhibitors, tricyclic antidepressants, stimulants, Provigil, benzodiazepines and related GABA-ergic sedatives, almost all of the "smart drugs", many if not all anticonvulsants, Wellbutrin, Effexor above 200mg/day, alcohol, OTC sleep meds with diphenhydramine, the less-selective SSRIs (Prozac, Zoloft ... actually some researchers believe that SSRIs work by indirectly affecting dopamine transport, so maybe all of the SSRIs), probably St. John's Wort and passionflower extracts.

Indirect dopamine effects via the NA transporter knocks out Stratterra, Edronax, and Cymbalta.

That leaves maybe agomelatine, tianeptine, lithium, and valerian root if you can't get to sleep. You could also try yoga.

thanks for the input; however, i am not in need of mood stabilizers or insomnia remedies, but something to treat severe ocd.

thanks for the input; however, i am not in need of mood stabilizers or insomnia remedies, but something to treat severe ocd and auditory hallucinations.

Then, just maybe, you should have said so from the start instead of trying to manipulate the question to get the answer you want to see.

Even then, taking the time to follow up on the honest answer you were given, instead of just whining about it, would have also been a positive step.

Archived