CrazyBoards.org

My question is...is it possible to develope a writing disorder like Dysgraphia because of Schizophrenia? I developed schiz. when I was 11, and before I developed psychosis and severe disorganization symptoms I wrote perfectly (I recieved awards for it!). Now I'm horrible at grammer (althouh somehow Im a stickler on it) my lower/uppercase letters can be skewered (switched), and my writing is atrocious. I read perfectly (except my own work) and have an English college level.

Twitch

• 2 weeks later...

My question is...is it possible to develope a writing disorder like Dysgraphia because of Schizophrenia? I developed schiz. when I was 11, and before I developed psychosis and severe disorganization symptoms I wrote perfectly (I recieved awards for it!). Now I'm horrible at grammer (althouh somehow Im a stickler on it) my lower/uppercase letters can be skewered (switched), and my writing is atrocious. I read perfectly (except my own work) and have an English college level.

Twitch

I dont know if there is a relationship, but I too have terrible hand writing. I dont know what I would have done if Id lived in the age prior to computers or even typewriters for that matter.

Although I'm not schizophrenic, I am autie and I do have some form of dysgraphia - most frequently, I misspell words by "sound-typing" them, i.e., typing in a homophone of the word I was trying to type. Either that, or typing a non-existent word that would sound the same as the target word. I also do the letter transposition thing.

But, as you can tell, my dysgraphia is a pure verbal issue, since it also happens when I type. Back when I was capable of writing anything of significant length, I'd have those problems as well.

Interesting thought. I have dysgraphia but I'm Shcizoaffective. I am also terrible at math. I'm 29 amd my 8 year old runs circles around me. Funny, since I'm better than average on all else.

I wonder if there is something about thought disorders and dysgraphia together.

Interesting thought. I have dysgraphia but I'm Shcizoaffective. I am also terrible at math. I'm 29 amd my 8 year old runs circles around me. Funny, since I'm better than average on all else.

I wonder if there is something about thought disorders and dysgraphia together.

Eh well, schizoaffective, Aspie/HFA, schizophrenia... we know they have a lot in common, and perhaps dysgraphia is one of the things in common here.

As far as thought disorder/psychosis and dysgraphia, I've been unable to find any useful studies on that. The only one I found on PubMed (the US government-run journal search database) was done in 1968, and doesn't even have an abstract available.

However, some clinicians will actually say that dysgraphia in and of itself is a part of thought disorder (which is probably why nobody's done a paper specifically about it!):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thought_disorder

The above doesn't explicitly mention dysgraphia, but it does discuss several very similar verbal symptoms.

Archived