CrazyBoards.org

i just started lithium 9 days ago (quilonum slow release) i was in the hospital when i started so obviously in a bad place. by day 5 i think it was of taking this my mood picked up dramatically and i feel more normal then ever before, i had been on sodium vlaproate for 3years and numerous anti-depressants and anti-psychotics.

strange thing is i am only on 450mg a day, and everything i have read has said that is not high enough to reach theraputic levels but im already starting to feel a lot more stable. i have a my first blood test on Tuesday (as it is a long weekend in Australia)

i guess i am just wondering why i feel so much better on this dose even though its low. i guess when i get my bloods back i will know what level i am at but i guess until then i will just enjoy feeling sane for a change.

• 4 months later...

i just started lithium 9 days ago (quilonum slow release) i was in the hospital when i started so obviously in a bad place. by day 5 i think it was of taking this my mood picked up dramatically and i feel more normal then ever before, i had been on sodium vlaproate for 3years and numerous anti-depressants and anti-psychotics.

strange thing is i am only on 450mg a day, and everything i have read has said that is not high enough to reach theraputic levels but im already starting to feel a lot more stable. i have a my first blood test on Tuesday (as it is a long weekend in Australia)

i guess i am just wondering why i feel so much better on this dose even though its low. i guess when i get my bloods back i will know what level i am at but i guess until then i will just enjoy feeling sane for a change.

;):)

Hello out there,

l have been diagnosed bipolar for 11 years and have been on quick release lithium for the same amount of time. Over the last 8 weeks l have had to reduce my lithium from 5/ 250 mgs down to 1/ 250 mg daily due to toxicity. l am about to start on quilonum 450 mg, thanks to my G.P.

l have tried to get help from my shrink to no avail, all he wants to do is put me on respirodal, which l might add, the last time l tried it l ended up in the nuthouse. Respirodal is not a mood stabilser, it's a crock of shit for bipolars. l have now had to self treat due to the fact the psych's tend to look at your serum lithium level rather than you and your bipolar and how YOU FEEL. You know what is going on inside you, not the so called academics. We as bipolars want sanity and normality, we as bipolars know what the alternative can be. All bipolars learn to stand up for your rights, don't let the so called qualified people use you as lab rats. Only we know whats happening to us.

Cheers to all my fellow bipolars

Don't let the bastards win

Sharon xxx

Everything depends on serum level. Everyone's body uses lithium at a different rate (it's not metabolized). Some people can reach a therepeutic serum level @ low dose. There have also been studies that prove that some people do well @ serum levels below those recommended for therepeutic value (0.6-1.2).

Count yourself lucky if you are one of these!

SZS

lithium is the bomb! with lamictal, there isn't anything i've found to be more stabilizing.

yeah for lithium!

that being said, i think your body must just go through it slower. i'm wtih SZS that you may even have a lower theraputic level than some other people. i think the .6-1.2 is probably statistically "normal", but that never means that other people don't fall outside the range. i can't imagine, for example, that anyone would benefit from less than 30mg Adderall XR, but 30mg is "high". i've been asking for a higher dose or IR for some time, and my pdoc thinks i'm nuts (well, he's right).

• 6 months later...
Guest moocher

;):)

Hello out there,

l have been diagnosed bipolar for 11 years and have been on quick release lithium for the same amount of time. Over the last 8 weeks l have had to reduce my lithium from 5/ 250 mgs down to 1/ 250 mg daily due to toxicity. l am about to start on quilonum 450 mg, thanks to my G.P.

l have tried to get help from my shrink to no avail, all he wants to do is put me on respirodal, which l might add, the last time l tried it l ended up in the nuthouse. Respirodal is not a mood stabilser, it's a crock of shit for bipolars. l have now had to self treat due to the fact the psych's tend to look at your serum lithium level rather than you and your bipolar and how YOU FEEL. You know what is going on inside you, not the so called academics. We as bipolars want sanity and normality, we as bipolars know what the alternative can be. All bipolars learn to stand up for your rights, don't let the so called qualified people use you as lab rats. Only we know whats happening to us.

Cheers to all my fellow bipolars

Don't let the bastards win

Sharon xxx

Guest moocher

I have type 1 bipolar, rapid cycling, and currently take (among other things!) slow release lithium at 1350mg daily. I function well, hold down a full time stressful job and deal with the bumps as best I can.

I think the thing others out there who are "normal" (including gp's and psychiatrists) need to remember is that we have a mental illness, we are NOT mentally ill. There is a difference.

Archived