CrazyBoards.org

ADHD meds not working

i take the following meds daily:

dexedrine - 75 mg

strattera - 160 mg

lamictal - 300 mg

risperdal - 5 mg

wellbutrin SR - 400 mg

the dexedrine and strattera are for ADHD, risperdal and lamictal are for bi-polar, and wellbutrin for depression.  i have taken countless numbers of other medications to treat the same disorders...some have outright failed, and most have just had undesirable side effects.  my dilema is this:  NOTHING seems to work on my ADHD.  my doctor says that my body isn't metabolizing the medication.  he keeps me on it in hopes that, by tweaking my other meds, he can get the ADHD meds to kick in.  a few years ago, when i was in my recreational drug-use phase, i tried to get high on adderal several times.  i tried crushing it up and snorting it (i know, stupid thing to do...no need to tell me that) and taking it orally.  it never worked, even though i went as high as 180 mg at once.  my point is that it has absolutely NO effect on me whatsoever.  has anyone else had this kind of a problem with ADHD meds not working?

thanks in advance

Guest novice

5 mg of Risperdal ?

That's quite a lot for bipolar. Such a dosage would be indicated for a serious form of schizophrenia.

I recommend you ask another doc for a second opinion. Read what Jerod writes about Risperdal at www.crazymeds.us.

Such a high dose probably causes unwanted side effects.

Wellbutrin and Strattera are contraindicated (though there are a few people here taking both with no apparent ill effect). But the maximum recommended daily dosage for Strattera is 100 mg. And while within recommended limits, 400 mg of Wellbutrin is pushing the maximum dosage, too. That's an awful lot of norepinephrine tweaking going on.

I agree with novice - get a second opinion. Fast!

i take the following meds daily:

dexedrine - 75 mg

strattera - 160 mg

lamictal - 300 mg

risperdal - 5 mg

wellbutrin SR - 400 mg

the dexedrine and strattera are for ADHD, risperdal and lamictal are for bi-polar, and wellbutrin for depression.  i have taken countless numbers of other medications to treat the same disorders...some have outright failed, and most have just had undesirable side effects.  my dilema is this:  NOTHING seems to work on my ADHD.  my doctor says that my body isn't metabolizing the medication.  he keeps me on it in hopes that, by tweaking my other meds, he can get the ADHD meds to kick in.  a few years ago, when i was in my recreational drug-use phase, i tried to get high on adderal several times.  i tried crushing it up and snorting it (i know, stupid thing to do...no need to tell me that) and taking it orally.  it never worked, even though i went as high as 180 mg at once.  my point is that it has absolutely NO effect on me whatsoever.  has anyone else had this kind of a problem with ADHD meds not working?

thanks in advance

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With Strattera, being a poor metabolizer would mean that you take less of it, not more. You see, Strattera is not one of those drugs that has to get metabolized into something else first.

I'm not so sure about the others.

Archived