CrazyBoards.org

On thursday I started having sharp pain in my lower left pelvic area and a lot of nausea. So I called my gynocologist's office and they got me in for an examination. After a rather unpleasant exam the conclusion is that I probably have an ovarian cyst on my left Ovary. I'm going for an ultrasound on Tuesday. They gave me some Vicodin to tie me over until they can either decide what to do about the situation or it goes away on its own.

They said they aren't really sure what they will do if it doesnt go away on its own though because they said the usual "cure" for ovarian cysts is to give birth control and I'm already on a high dose of birth control to regulate my periods. ;)

I just wanna feel better.....

I had small ovarian cysts a few years ago. Mine weren't painful, but hearing the word cyst made me think there was something seriously wrong with me. My gyndoc told me it was very common and that most women at one time or another have or will have an ov. cyst. And that they will just go away.

They will usually go away on their own. That said, if it gets large enough it can cause problems and need to be removed surgically. That happened to me. That is pretty much a good summary of how my health generally goes, though ;)

I know they suck! I had my first and it rupture and good god i was in HS junior yeat thinking what is going on with me.

I just doubled up and past out in class then all this blood, it was so freaky, you should have seen the nuns, they probably thought i was hemmoraging, miscarriaging, when I never had sex!

They were asking me all these screwy questions, I was like good God, what is happening to me, are you all crazy?

They got an ambulance, i had apparently this huge pear size cysts, you know how they compare to fruit, i was only 90#, 5'1" @ time pale as ghost told lucky I got into surgery for i was ready to go septic.

My right ovary remain intact.

I went on to having another grapefruit size cyst removed off of it at age 24, then a large bunch of grapes at 34.

So far so good now, and still right ovary intact!

My ex was Mennonite and did not believe in my taking the pill or any meds, more than a tylenol if my head was blowing off!

I was told too, it was too much hormones, and my periods were always dreadful!

Wish you my best, and I do believe that with being on the pill yours will pass.

Aly

• 2 months later...

OMG, Alyson! I was just going to add that I have recurring ovarian cysts that rupture, and they really suck, but geez, I was 40 the first time it happened, and mine were only like 2cm. Pear-size? Junior high? Eeeek!

Anyway, Sophia, cysts are not a predictor of cancer - that was my main concern, as I'm high risk (BRCA1-positive). They are painful and awful, and if yours are mild to moderate - not requiring surgery - they will take a couple of months to go away, but the good news is that they will go away. So will the pain and nausea. Try putting a heating pad on your abdomen in addition to taking the Vicodin.

• 11 months later...
Guest Jacqueline

OMG, Alyson! I was just going to add that I have recurring ovarian cysts that rupture, and they really suck, but geez, I was 40 the first time it happened, and mine were only like 2cm. Pear-size? Junior high? Eeeek!

Anyway, Sophia, cysts are not a predictor of cancer - that was my main concern, as I'm high risk (BRCA1-positive). They are painful and awful, and if yours are mild to moderate - not requiring surgery - they will take a couple of months to go away, but the good news is that they will go away. So will the pain and nausea. Try putting a heating pad on your abdomen in addition to taking the Vicodin.

Guest Jacqueline

I was told in March that my ovarian cysts have come back I*m gutted especially as I had 5 removed last July and was told that everything was fine. Apparently I'm unique because I'm not on the pill or taking any kind of medication my doctor and gynacologist are baffled and fascinated as to why they have come back so quick and so large there is only a small amount of women in the world who this has happened to.

Went to see my gynaecologist today who has offered me the options of having them drained and then taking a high dose of hormone tablets to surpress them of have pieces cut from both of the cysts to let them drain themselves I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I have heard from a yoga teacher I trained that during her training with Susan Weed, master herbalist, that Susan recommended eating a raw beet daily for 30 days for any woman with fibroids and cysts. Then following this to eat one a month as a preventative. The women who have done this have reported exceptionally positive changes in their body.

I would recommend this woman not do any heavy asanas or intense practices such as Ashtanga or Bikram but rather she do milder practice with modest effort in back bends. Definitely not the bow or wheel (belly down as you put it) but bridge or camel for short periods. In general women with heavy menstruation should not do inversions as energy wants to go down and not into the upper abdomen. Mainly I would recommend prolonged gentle effort in forward bends. In addition I would also recommend Kapalabhati and Agnisar dhouti pranayamas for purifying the abdominal region. Only someone who is trained under a teacher directly to learn them should teach these. If you need assistance i can show you or your student when I come to Boston week following Easter.

• 2 months later...

On thursday I started having sharp pain in my lower left pelvic area and a lot of nausea. So I called my gynocologist's office and they got me in for an examination. After a rather unpleasant exam the conclusion is that I probably have an ovarian cyst on my left Ovary. I'm going for an ultrasound on Tuesday. They gave me some Vicodin to tie me over until they can either decide what to do about the situation or it goes away on its own.

They said they aren't really sure what they will do if it doesnt go away on its own though because they said the usual "cure" for ovarian cysts is to give birth control and I'm already on a high dose of birth control to regulate my periods. cussing.gif

I just wanna feel better...

• 9 months later...
Guest brca1 dad

Hi FIrehorse

I know this thread is old but I am hoping that you still follow it.

Im wondering if you had the sources for you assertion that cysts are not a predictor of cancer? My daughter just had her first episode that was just like Sophia's. She is 14. I just recently found out that I am brca1 positive too. We have not had her tested yet as that is the genetic counseling that we are getting.

Thanks so much

Archived