CrazyBoards.org

Different ins. - have to change pdocs-again!

I have been putting off changing pdocs because 1. I've already changed 4-5 times, 2. I liked and was comfortable w/ my pdoc. 3. You have to start allllllll over again about your life story and your history, etc. So, I kept seeing him because I was on a every 2 month schedule even though my ins. didn't pay for him. Then I discovered that my 20 min. office visits cost 145$! I still owe him $. He gave me a 6 months worth of refills and said I could e-mail him. So, I called my ins. co. to find a new pdoc. I called everyone on the list. Either they are not accepting new patients or they work at the awful, scary, county mental place. My only other option was to see a nurse practicener(excuse the spelling-I'm still in the middle of my coffee). She works in an office w/ a pdoc, who is not accepting any more patients. I asked the girl on the phone if I could see the pdoc if I needed to.

She told me that the NP is very experienced and knowledgeable. Okay. Then she asked me what meds. I was on. I gave her my list. There was a long moment of silence which I , at first, interpreted as her being freaked out by all my meds. , then realized she needed some time to write them down. lol. I went ahead and made an appt.

I always have read here that when you have a serious illness such as BP, you need a med. dr. not a NP. But, I so do not want to go to "that other place". (And yes, it is that bad).

Does anyone see a NP? I guess if I got really bad, I could go to TOP.

I always have read here that when you have a serious illness such as BP, you need a med. dr. not a NP. But, I so do not want to go to "that other place". (And yes, it is that bad).

Does anyone see a NP? I guess if I got really bad, I could go to TOP.

I see an NP. I love him. He works with my shrink. I know that if he ever feels out of his depth he'll go to my psychiatrist. I'm good with that.

I agree with what others are saying-- go to the NP and give it a shot, you never know! Also, if they work in the same office as the pdoc, it seems like they must be on the same page as the doctor, you know? A lot of times the NP will consult with the Dr in my experience (but I'd ask her about that too, and make sure you sign a release or whatever if she needs you to before discussing your condition with someone else.)

In the meantime, make an appointment with one of the pdocs that doesn't have an appt open for a while...that can be your backup-- if the NP thing fails for some reason and you'd rather go to a pdoc, then you'll already be on the list and have less time to wait for an appointment. Best to cover your bases. * just make sure you keep track of the spare appointment and remember to cancel it if need be..a lot of places need 48 hours notice or they bill you anyway and sometimes insurance won't cover that..so just mark on your calander a few days before that appointment so you can cancel properly if the NP is working out well

gotta love insurance :-P I know where you're coming from..I'm on to my 5th doctor this year, and I can't say I'm too excited by the prospect of starting all over again either. goodluck,

meg

BEST care I ever got, without exception was from a NP--she is the one who figured out I was BP, she put all the pieces together and was absolutely wonderful. Got me on mood stabalizers which made all the difference--even got me to take 3 weeks paid sick leave to get leveled out, as I was cycling about 3-5 times a day.

Give the NP a shot--its not the initials behind the name, its the person behind the name. I have had MD's with 90 other degrees that sucked so bad, and 2 NP's who were fantastic.

Hang in there--

china

Archived