CrazyBoards.org

Oh No... Sympathy For Paris?

I am almost ashamed of myself because I... feel... sorry for Paris Hilton.

Apparently the "serious mental problems" she has are claustrophia, panic attacks, and ADD. I still don't think she should get away with anything, but I feel almost a duty to defend her because I've read things from people who don't know the first thing about ADD or anxiety.

I've got the ADD dx, I've had panic attacks. Luckily for me I am scared crapless of dying so I have thus far escaped suicidal tendencies. But there are times when I feel so overwhelmed that I feel like I'm crawling out of my own skin and I just don't know what to do with myself-- times I've considered hurting myself (haven't, thankfully), times I've taken meds to make me sleep because I just can't handle all the thoughts rushing through my mind.

And so, when people suggest that Paris Hilton could not possibly have ADD (she's an ADULT after all, she's just taking the meds to stay skinny, ADD isn't "serious"), I sort of cringe. It seems to me that a lot of her actions are similar to things that any person with untreated or not-well-treated ADD could end up doing. I'm not saying her personality is great, because, as I mentioned, it shames me to feel defensive of her because I do find her to be quite arrogant and self-righteous.

But, the thing with not knowing her license was suspended, I can SO see myself doing that! She didn't get throug high school and had to get a GED. I barely made it through high school myself. She comes off as dumb. So do I, but I'm not dumb. I just have so many things going through my mind at once that i can't always follow what people are saying, so it appears i"m either stupid or just rude. The out of control emotions at the hearing where she got sent back to jail... regardless of how spoiled she might be, her reaction was not normal. Feeling suicidal when off her meds and locked in a small cell, I can see that happening. Especially for someone who has lived as sheltered a life as she has.

I think people discount ADD way too quickly. Just because one person's ADD can be easily controlled doesn't mean someone else's is. Just because some kids "outgrow" it, doesn't mean others do. I find it to be a very serious issue in my life. And also the fact that I have panic attacks and severe anxiety-- I have to take Adderall, and it doesn't make those things worse, I just have to be sure not to take anti anxiety meds too often because I understand the two types of meds can work against each other.

So anyway, I just felt like saying all this. I haven't been here in awhile, but reading about Paris having ADD panic attacks, and some of the things people say about that, brought me here.. to find nobody talking about it. Which is fine, but it just struck a nerve with me for some reason. Having been off all my meds for 8 months, and knowing the piss poor shape my life is in, throw me in a jail cell and I'd probably be crawling up the walls too. Luckily I don't drink or do drugs. I suppose that would make life a heck of a lot more difficult.

I bet there are plenty of people in that prison who have various types of brain cooties. None of them get the attention that she does. They just suffer in their cells.

I have much more sympathy for the low income, unmedicated guy or girl with BP who did something dumb in the heat of a mania than some rich kid who had access to every available mental health facility in the world but was too busy partying to get help.

I say give her the chair! ZzzZzzZZzzZZZZzzz (Ok, maybe that's a tad extreme. How about holding her to the same standard as any other schmuck wo did the same stuff she did?)

I am sure her lawyers talk over all the issues of her arrest with her in such detail, more than anybody else would ever have done.

I am sure she also went over all the issues of what jail was like, being in a cell, and was given all the proper precautions for any what if's.

Nobody here that I know of is saying that she does not have ADD,and who the hell wouldn't have anxiety being in a cell?

But that is not anywhere near as wife put it, the head cooties that so many have in the system, and were arrested while under the duress of such.

And sorry ignorance of the law does not make you not guilty of breaking it.

If you want to read up on how many mentally ill are incarcerated in our prison systems and how they are treated, there is a forum of real families discussing such real issues, it is called Prison Talk, it deals with all prisons across the USA.

Don't think you will see anyone protesting their unfair incarceration.

Maybe you could start to be an advocator for your state, for people without the money for lawyers and publicity.

Seems to be something you are interested in, and people really don't give a shit about the 87% or possibly more, MI in all those jails and prisons.

Good Luck

I bet there are plenty of people in that prison who have various types of brain cooties. None of them get the attention that she does. They just suffer in their cells.

I have much more sympathy for the low income, unmedicated guy or girl with BP who did something dumb in the heat of a mania than some rich kid who had access to every available mental health facility in the world but was too busy partying to get help.

I say give her the chair! ZzzZzzZZzzZZZZzzz (Ok, maybe that's a tad extreme. How about holding her to the same standard as any other schmuck wo did the same stuff she did?)

lol @ give her the chair! ;) You're funny Wifezilla.

I don't give a toss about poor ol' rich girl Paris. 45 days in jail is a piece of piss. She should just do her term and be done with it. And get off my telly! I have the Antiques Roadshow to watch :)

Bern the Agro

I am almost ashamed of myself because I... feel... sorry for Paris Hilton.

Apparently the "serious mental problems" she has are claustrophobia, panic attacks, and ADD. I still don't think she should get away with anything, but I feel almost a duty to defend her because I've read things from people who don't know the first thing about ADD or anxiety.

It's the first I've heard that she's claiming those problems. I have heard that most of her recent foolishness has all been "an act" - that opens up the question of whether anything she says is truth or script.

Unfortunately, I suspect the ADD "diagnosis" is officially to cover whatever is going to show up in any urinalysis samples. It could be valid - which would certainly explain some self-medication and a lot of "What was I thinking?" behavior. But ... it's still fishy. I have a LOT of trouble believing that a jail that almost certainly has to handle violence-prone prisoners on methadone maintenance can't figure out how to get meds appropriate to GAD and ADD to her.

Oh, and apparently the idiot let her meds ran out two weeks before going in. That's the sort of thing an heiress with a public career has secretaries, managers, and a mother to keep track of. Not having an anxiety disorder myself, I'd think that making sure THAT medication is always filled would be a top priority, even without helpers on staff.

What she said. And how about some public service work. It would be good for her to see how the other two third make it in the world. She is a poor little rich girl with no purpose in the world. Yeah, I almost feel sorry for her. Almost.

Panz

i kind of think that having Paris do a jail term will be to everyone's benefit. the judge who sentanced her is doing some kind of public service. i understand what having ADD and an anxiety disorder is like, because i have both. however, as nulltrooper said, we don't have people on staff to make sure we have our meds and manage to get them anyway. also, she does have access to the best in medicine that money can buy. how about the rest of us? also, so many of her fellow inmates have MI issues and can't get treatment, and are probably in the slammer due to their MI in some way. let this be a lesson Paris- don't do stupid things and you won't end up where you don't want to be. life isn't a TV show.

Archived