CrazyBoards.org

OMG I just got and email about my bloodwork results and they show that my cholesterol levels are high where that should be low and low where they should be high. Does this mean my liver is shutting down? (that you lamictal!) or does this mean that I'm prediabetic? (Thank you zyprexa!) Any help/experience would be great as I probably won't see the pdoc for a few weeks (thank you summer vacation [hers, not mine])

I'm no doctor (not even close), but I didn't realize that cholesterol levels had anything to do with liver function or diabetes - just heart disease.

Okay... I just looked it up on webmd.com and there's apparently some connection between high cholesterol and diabetes, but only that people with diabetes are more likely to have high cholesterol:

Diabetes can upset the balance between HDL and LDL cholesterol levels. People with diabetes tend to have LDL particles that stick to arteries and damage blood vessel walls more easily. Glucose (a type of sugar) attaches to lipoproteins (a cholesterol-protein package that enables cholesterol to travel through blood). Sugar-coated LDL remains in the blood-stream longer and may lead to the formation of plaque. People with diabetes tend to have low HDL and high triglyceride (another kind of blood fat) levels, both of which boost the risk of heart and artery disease.

Did you also have your glucose levels checked?

ETA: what were your cholesterol levels, anyway?

ETA: what were your cholesterol levels, anyway?

My levels are Cholesterol is 226

triglycerides 260

HDL 32

LDL 142

But I'm only 30, (if it matters)

ETA: I did have a blood sugar test, but it wasn't available online probably because it's off the charts or something.

Ouch. What's your diet like? Family history?

Your blood sugar level results weren't available online or you couldn't find info about normal levels online? Normal glucose (I believe this is the technical term and what would indicate potential diabetes) levels should be between 64 mg/dl and 128 mg/dl.

Out of wack cholesteral levels CAN be a sign of liver problems, but rarely the only one. The main tests that show liver function are AST, and ALT, formerly known as SGOT and SGPT, respectively. Secondary indicators would include BUN, Creatinine and proteins. All this is covered in a Comprehensive Metabolic Panel, that typical has 14 different tests. It's wise to include an annual TSH thyroid check as well.

Cholesterol levels do tend to go up with age. Heredity can be a big influence and of course diet. The good news is that there are several effective cholesterol meds which typically have minimal side effects.

a.m.

Age used to be a bigger factor with cholesterol, but they're finding higher and higher levels with young people because of the lousy diet they eat.

Before you get checked again, try a few months of a low-cholesterol diet. Eliminate all fast food. Don't eat cheese, whole milk, butter, sour cream, or ice cream. Eat salmon or other fish high in omega oils at least once or twice a week. Limit your eggs to one or two a week. Make sure you're getting at LEAST 5 to 7 vegetables and/or fruits every day. If you put cream in your coffee, switch to low-fat milk. Red meat should be a once-a-week treat, and only in small quantities.

If you're a single, 30-year-old guy, my guess is that you aren't eating a healthy diet. (I know this is a stereotype, but I've lived a long time and seen a lot of guys with a fridge full of beer and nothing in the cupboards but cereal and bags of chips.)

Exercise will also lower your cholesterol, particularly aerobic exercise.

If you can change your readings with diet and exercise, that is preferable to taking another drug.

And if you are already a lean, vegan guy who rides his bike 25 miles a day---just ignore everything I wrote! ;)

My cholesterol has been high since I was in my 20s, and I was taking NO crazymeds---so I've been fighting this battle a long time.

olga

My cholesterol levels are bizarre... roughly, total: 210, LDL: 120, HDL: 90 ... triglycerides 120.

My doc told me to not worry, since she said my LDL:HDL ratio was extremely good (about 1.3). I'm wondering, though, if I could have liver issues as well...

And I'm going to echo AM's suggestion... you have to get your ALT and AST levels tested. Also, if one or both are extremely high, they'll in addition take the ratio between the two, which is good for determining the primary cause of the liver damage (meds vs. alcohol vs. infection vs. heredity). Normally, most doctors don't raise an eyebrow until one or both of these enzymes reaches 5-10 times the upper limit of "normal".

It would also be interesting for you to see if your cholesterol levels don't stay constant over a month-to-month basis. I want to say that grossly inconsistent cholesterol levels are correlated with metabolic issues, including those of the liver.

my boyfriend was just diagnosed with high cholesterol. his doctor did the test, and then thought that the cholesterol could have been high due to drinking the night before and not his eating habits, which are VERY healthy. he got tested again after not drinking for 2 weeks, and the test was almost as high as in the first place. he was put on cholesterol meds.

then there's me. my total is 230, and i'm VEGAN, and i EXERCISE. however, it is the good ratio between the good/bad cholesterol and other components of cholesterol that my doctor understands and i don't that he says are healthy that keep me from needing meds.

it is probably just all in your heredity and lifestyle, but even with a lifestyle like my boyfriend, who eats a lot of good things and exercises, you can still get slammed with it.

from what i know, and i'm NOT any kind of medical or biological professional (the closest we have commenting so far to my knowledge is herrfous, a biologist), i don't think i've heard that there is a strong correlation between sugar and cholesterol or liver function and cholesterol. still, i think you should get your sugar and liver checked in case.

lucky for me, they haven't found any damage to my body from my meds thus far.

Archived