CrazyBoards.org

Advice Needed...meeting with HR Today

Hey Guys,

I was hoping I might be able to get some advice for my meeting with HR today.  I've been off work for 3 weeks under my work's private short-term disability plan.  It took the company 3 weeks to adjudicate the claim and they have now denied it without even having all the medical files they requested  ;)

Long story short, I'm off due to GAD w/ somatization tendencies (official diagnosis) and have been in Effexor withdrawal hell, and am waiting for consult with a pdoc to get proper treatment so can get back to work.  MY doctor is adament I should not return (they say I have to come back on the 11th) because he does not feel I'm mentally stable to work.  I work in a call center and can't ever take a break from the calls, and often have people just screaming at me, and I can barely keep the tears/panic at bay when I'm just talking to people who are being nice to me.

On top of this the case manager who dealt with the disability issue was extremely mean and in my doctor's opinion reckless, she sent me into a full-fledged panic attack the first day with her terrible comments, and when my DH tried to leave her a message explaining that I'm off due to emotional issues so she needs to be a bit more understanding, she called the next day, yelled at me for having him call and that's when she denied my claim.  She even said "I shouldn't be listening to my doctor"

So, I have to for a meeting with my HR rep to discuss options from here...I've been told there is an appeals process but that I won't be paid during it, and my doctor is already trying to appeal and so far NO ONE will return his calls.  They're also talking about clawing back the 3 weeks of pay they gave me while the claim was being looked at (I don't have that money...I live paycheque to paycheque).  So, I really don't know what to do.  My doctor seems to think we have the potential to go ahead with legal action because of the reckless treatment of the case representative, and sue for both my disability benefits and for pain and suffering.  But I don't know if I want to go there.

So any tips you guys might have for what would be good to say today would be great.  I'm worried I won't be able to get through the meeting wihtout breaking down and crying and/or having a panic attack...although I really don't know if that would be good or bad for me at this time.

Thanks (sorry so long),

Kelly

Kelly,

It sounds like they're trying to bully you into submission. Don't give in. And don't let them harass you into saying more than you need to. Stick to your message.

Don't go alone. Someone should be with you who can verify your reports of how the meeting went later on.

Write down in detail everything you remember about the meeting right after the meeting is over.

Oh, and by the way, what did you mean when you wrote that you can't even take a break from the calls?

Good luck,

Greeny

Kelly,

How did the meeting go with HR yesterday? I am curious as you and I do a similar job. I do insurance collections for a bank so we receive calls and make calls.

Greeny, I believe she means that she cannot prevent the calls from coming in. You can't put your phone on hold and the calls come in as soon as you hang up from one. It sucks.

Kelly, is the disabilty paid by the company or is it something you pay for out of your paycheck?

Mine is company paid and they paid short term for 3 mos and I am now on long term. I have never been treated like that by the disability company. That is disgusting. I also understand customers calling and yelling and cussing at you. That was part of the reason I am out.

Have you considered applying for Social Security benefits? The whole process between SS and disabilty is very tiring but you got to start somewhere.

I hope all went well with you yesterday. Please let us know.

Thanks guys for your advice :P

The meeting actually went better than I thought, apparently there is an appeal process and I have 30 days to provide more "objective medical evidence" to have the decision reversed.  My HR rep apologized for the way I was treated by the insurance company, and agreed to continue paying me until the appeal decision is made.

Kablume: The benefits are paid by a 3rd party that my employers pays to administer a benefit program, I do pay for the protection from each paycheque but it isn't too much, about $20/pay.  Also I'm in Canada so the disability options are a bit different here...but here's the kicker, if my appeal is denied I HAVE to return, they won't even consider an unpaid leave of absence so I could just try and get governmetn disability benefits.  If I don't return I'm consider abandoning my job and will be fired.  I wanted to find a way to keep the job so that when I get better I can return to the company ;)

Glad to hear someone knows what I'm talking about with regards to the type of job, certainly not good for someone with MI.  It's just beyond stressful and so sucky :)

Kelly

Archived