CrazyBoards.org

BP in the news-and a discrimination suit

Won't copy it allhere, but if you go to www.news.google.com and enter --

Starbucks settles discrimination suit

You will get to read about how major corporations in our country handle the employment of those of us who legally are disabled and are covered by the ADA, which is ALL of us, I believe--

Very "enlightening"--and very sad--$85,00 and your chance at having a life ruined, even tho there was one good soul who honestly believed in doing the right thing. "Starbucks did not admit any wrongdoing." Says it all--

china

Even today I think it's unfair to blame ALL corporations and to believe that everything that happens in institutional in nature.

I work for one of the largest corporations in the world and it has a fabulous track record in dealing with people with all types of disabilities - mental and physical. I have never had a problem in the 10 years I have been working here.

I have, however, known people who have and their problem is at the front line manager level. My company has been quick to stop the problem when they have been told about it.

The company deals with what they are aware of.

See, thats my problem with this whole episode. The employee who was MI--and open about it--HAD a manager who allowerd her extra time to learn things, and gave her other tasks when the front was super-busy (and stressful), He made accomodations for her, just as is legal--and moral, in my view. But when a NEW manager of that Starbucks was hired, and had the same info, he reversed all the previous actions, and then fired the employee, saying she "was not Starbucks material" That manager represented the entire corporation--and what he did was illegal--yet Starbucks does not "admit any wrongdoing"??

WHY did this employee have to sue? WHY did this whole thing go so far, and yet Starbucks refuses to admit any fault? Come on, the manager is in charge of administering all the EEOC and other laws in HIS location. This should never have happened. The manager should have been fired when the employee reported what was happeneing.

Yes, there are some good corporations, who are anxious to follow the laws and treat people fairly. According to this settlement, apparently Starbucks is not one of them. (And the large company my husband works for is also NOT one of the good ones--my husband is physically handicapped)

Crockers, you are a lucky lady--

china

Starbucks isn't going to admit any wrongdoing 1) because it's an image thing, and 2) it would increase their financial liability. It isn't ever going to happen that any company will admit liability beyond what it has to in legal proceedings.

Am I lucky? I suppose so, but I busted my ass to get my illness under control and to get the education I have and keep the job I have. My company will make accommodations, but if I can't fulfill the requirements of my position the law does not constrain them from firing me.

I work through mania, through depression and through mixed states. I stay on lithium because it's what I need despite starting to cost me physically. I have six more years before my youngest child is out of college - until then I will force myself to continue to function. After that I will reassess what I am willing to do to continue.

Having accommodations and killer insurance does make it easier, no doubt. I haven't always had them, though. I also have a supportive family - especially my husband who walks with me through some very icky places.

What I'm really lucky to have, though, is a stubborn streak totally out of proportion to life. I simply will not let this beat me. I will do whatever I have to do, make whatever sacrifice I have to make, to have a life. No negotiation.

That manager represented the entire corporation--and what he did was illegal--yet Starbucks does not "admit any wrongdoing"??

Wrong. Intrinsically wrong.

I work for the State of Montana. In the past 13 years I have held eight jobs. With eight different supervisors. None have been the same; none have applied policies evenly. Some have been good, some ignorant jackasses. I should hope the latter wouldn't be held to "represent the entire" State gov--after all, they come from four different agencies, for one thing.

Some employees are badly trained or just bad, yet one could easily argue that THEY represent an entire corporation. Well, see, I see crappy McDonald's workers every time I go there--yet I don't hold the corporation to blame for them. Rather, it's a more local thing, and managers as well as the franchise holder are to blame. Back when, I worked there--and then the franchise holder was better, as were the managers promoted under his leadership. So I judge these suckass kids by what went on when I was slinin' burgers.

For a corporation to admit wrongdoing because ONE individual did not follow policy or guidlines...that's fucked up. Blame the manager; it was his own damn fault, and maybe partially the fault of those who promoted this dumbass. but there was no corporate wrongdoing here, regardless.

And please--the next time you are going to talk about a story, include a link--while this one interests me, it doesn't do so enough to cause me to open a new window, open Google, cut'n'paste the search term in and go...

Well, this tops it all--

We have had big problems in Fla. with the jails--it seems that once you are incarcerated, you no longer receive any psychiatric medications you may have been on.

The explanation from the Jail Psychiatrist? (who, it states, has been in correctional psychiatry for 5 years with a private firm, Prison Health Services--the article does not say if he is really an MD, or what his credentials are--) First, all the diagnoses are wrong. Second, and I quote--"If they were compliant with the medication and the medication was effective they would not be in jail."

I have to get out of this place

china

Well, this tops it all--

We have had big problems in Fla. with the jails--it seems that once you are incarcerated, you no longer receive any psychiatric medications you may have been on.

The explanation from the Jail Psychiatrist? (who, it states, has been in correctional psychiatry for 5 years with a private firm, Prison Health Services--the article does not say if he is really an MD, or what his credentials are--) First, all the diagnoses are wrong. Second, and I quote--"If they were compliant with the medication and the medication was effective they would not be in jail."

I have to get out of this place

china

Do you have a link?

For a corporation to admit wrongdoing because ONE individual did not follow policy or guidlines...that's fucked up. Blame the manager; it was his own damn fault, and maybe partially the fault of those who promoted this dumbass. but there was no corporate wrongdoing here, regardless.

Very true. An organization can have the perfect policy but unfortunately that doesn't stop people from being idiots.

This is not exclusive to Florida.

edit:

For example,

http://www.dallascriminallawyer.com/news_d...ningnews04.html

http://jonsjailjournal.blogspot.com/2006/0...06-shane-v.html

Going through this right now guys. Wrongful dismissal due to prior knowledge of a recognized illness and NO procedures were followed at all.

Know what, they deny they had a clue that I was ill despite the migrains, the meds I kept in my desk, the scars on my arms and the fact that they were actual medical doctors or had doctorate degrees in neurosciences.

British law is VERY different. If you work somewhere for under a year they basically can do whatever they like and get away with it. Well, not really that simple, but not far off.

My lawyers are coming down slightly harder after each denial claim they make and basically letting them bury themselves. That and the bills are draining me dry.

Don't have a clue what the outcome will be, but I'm not hopeful.

Any and all litigation links would be of great help. Please forward them to me.

Roosle

Archived