CrazyBoards.org

MAOIs and drug interactions

Guest Guest_Jeremy_*

Guest Guest_Jeremy_*

Hi all,

I have recently started on the MAOI antidepressant Parnate, so I have some concerns about some of the interactions. I have some issues with chronic pain so I sometimes use pain medicines. Does anyone have information regarding any interactions between MAOIs and over-the-counter painkillers (e.g. ibuprofen) or narcotic painkillers such as morphine?

Also, is there any up-to-date, exhaustive list available with all the different food interactions with MAOIs ?

Thanks

Here's one (drug-drug interaction): http://www.holistic-online.com/Remedies/De...ctions_MAOI.htm

It's from one of those "holistic" sites, so I'm not sure how reliable it is. In any case, I wouldn't rely on the internet at all for this. Your doctor should have a list?

This site: https://www.aidsmeds.com/cmm/ is good, and it doesn't show any interactions between Parnate and ibuprofen.

Also, is there any up-to-date, exhaustive list available with all the different food interactions with MAOIs ?

Thanks

Most of the lists on-line are crap cut-and-pasted by web designers who can't tell "tyramine" from "tyrosine" from "tiramisu"

Luckily for you jafco wasn't off his gourd when the started this topic on MAOIs and diet, and Fiona knows a lot about MAOIs, having been on one for years.

You might try the board's search function on keywords like "MAOI" and "diet"

As far as pain relief, any opoid from codiene to morphine are contradicted. I got desperate once, took a darvocet and had a hypertensive reaction. Those are no fun. as the diet goes, it's iffy. I don't worry too much about it but ymmv. The diet is there for a reason.

Good luck

Archived