CrazyBoards.org

How do ADD meds affect binge eating?

Hello:  Can you tell me what the affects of some of the different ADD meds (Strattera, Concerta, etc.) would be on anyone with a binge-eating problem?  I know that most typically take away your appetite a bit (?) but specifically does anyone have any first hand knowledge or theories on binge eating and ADD meds?  Thanks so much!

Well, I'm not exactly a pathological binge eater, but if I go to a barbecue I'm going to eat a lot. I often forget about meals on Adderall, but when I start to eat I get into it. Was at a barbecue yesterday and had something like 2 hamburgers, two or three hot dogs, 3 small ribs, two servings of lasagna, brownies, etc. Not enough to really bloat the way I would have in younger days. Same as I would have without the Adderall, or just possibly a little bit less.

Now, I'm maybe only 20 or 25 lbs over my ideal weight, but I do eat like a pig sometimes. My appetite seems to be enhanced by a lot of bicycling. So take that for what it's worth.

YMMV...yeah,ok, with that out of the way, with me, anything affecting my dopamine

or noraphine (sp) kills bingeing, at least for a few weeks or months.

Im now on Wellbutrin 150/effexor 300.

Since WB/Zyban kills smoking cravings, I figure it works the same for junk foods.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on strattera for a while and it took away my appetite.  I feel that it is a good drug for binge-eaters.  It also gives you more energy and motivation, which are nice.  If you also have severe depression, wellbutin at 450mg will kill your appetite also.

Wendy

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know about Strattera and Concerta, but I am currently on Adderall..

I guess it depends on the nature of your binge eating/what's behind it? I am assuming that it is about more than just the appetite (bingeing to numb out emotions etc)?

Either way, I do think Adderall helps reduce bingeing..though I'm not sure if it is just because it tends to give the extra energy kick (if you're on more), or because it truly helps the part of the brain that makes you feel like you need to overeat in order to calm your thoughts..

Hello:  Can you tell me what the affects of some of the different ADD meds (Strattera, Concerta, etc.) would be on anyone with a binge-eating problem?  I know that most typically take away your appetite a bit (?) but specifically does anyone have any first hand knowledge or theories on binge eating and ADD meds?  Thanks so much!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 4 years later...

Hello: Can you tell me what the affects of some of the different ADD meds (Strattera, Concerta, etc.) would be on anyone with a binge-eating problem? I know that most typically take away your appetite a bit (?) but specifically does anyone have any first hand knowledge or theories on binge eating and ADD meds? Thanks so much!

For me I have problems binge eating that I think is because of my ADD. Meds might take way the hunger, but it does not take away the impulse to binge eat unfortunately. For me it's a problem whether I'm on meds or not, and has been since my early teens.

I'm not sure if it will help, but there is an interesting article about it here: http://www.chesapeakeadd.com/pdf/adhd/eating_disorders.pdf

I'm on 60mg of Strattera right now, and although not for reasons relating to eating, I rarely have any appetite on it. It's different than when on a stimulant which reduces your appetite or you are focused on something else besides eating. With the strattera, food doesn't ring any bells in my head. It's weird, but good if you are having impulse control with food.

ok, well why do you binge and purg? Starting like concerta or ritalin, is actually not great to take unless you are ADHD?

i started taking them because I am actually ADHD and purging and vomitting stopped as i ended up eating nothing! Cause i didn't really want to eat anyway, so knida made my anerexia bad? I would be very carefull about that.

Plet us know what your pdoc would say?

• 1 month later...
Guest oldtimenerd

The most crucial thing to note is that everyone is different. For instance, Strattera is often prescribed to patients at risk of developing anorexia just bc it is a common idea that stimulant meeds are of higher risk there. Between the two, I have no concerns eating or binge eating with stimulants (Concerta, Biphentin) however find my self completely food-independent on Strattera. The downside is it is not intentional, controlled, and eating affects the quality focus time I get from Strattera (physiological I guess).

Keep in mind that if you try something like Strattera, it needs weeks to help with focus and just minutes to curb your binges (if it would). Can you remain objective?

I moved to Wellbutrin b/c two years of not understanding hunger made me extremely depressed. On Strattera, I had to eat but it was not the same mental reward notion as without the med, screwed my eating patterns = depression and no hope spiral.

On Wellbutrin, there is a little room for similar effects (not for me though) but I am at risk of seizures so I am gambling! To add to that I am back to stimulants… I feel hungry as a normal person should and now enjoy that. I gained 10 pounds since Strattera stopped blinding me, most of which were on the full dose, before I decided it should go.

You can switch the names of the meeds around b/c everyone is different. Eventually you learn that binging is a response to habits as well as some chemical imbalance (it might even cause it). It is better to 1) try to address the problem not the symptom or else your problem will sneak up on you 10 fold, and, 2) it is best to deal with natural hunger (liberate your mind) and try to work on proactively fulfilling a satisfying healthy pattern.

None of these medications are intended (studied) for long term use, they are sold with the hope that you can make it long term, or need something pricer to deal with a more severe illness if not the latter! Med's are good but they are business.

Archived