CrazyBoards.org

how the hell do are we supposed to work?

I work a part time job (because that's all I can handle) because of my mood swings. I went to the pdoc today and now they are making me take seroquel in the a.m. , then lunch, then afternoon, then bedtime.(because the mania just won't get under control) Along with the other meds. Luckily i'm on medicaid so I don't pay for my meds. But I seriously need a full time job because bills are going to be the death of me. Anywho, if my social worker finds out that I have a job, they will take my medicaid away. There is no humanly way I could ever afford my meds. So it's like damned if I do and damned if I don't. I want to work full time somewhere with benefits so I don't have to worry about medicaid, but my freakin bp wont let me. It seems like every time i'm stable for about 2 weeks, everything goes back to SHIT.

Anyways, how does everyone work? and how do you pay for your meds? I'm hitting the bottom and I need all the help I can get.

Brenagirl,

This is just a person story. Because of my bp I have a very spoty work history. I am unable to deal with high amounts of stress. I have been on disabily for three years now. Maybe going on disability might be an option for you until you can find the right meds?

I guess I dont really have any words of wisdom.

Oh, and also just a clairification about your medicaid. Do you mean that they dont know you are working? If so, thats fraud and you can get into big trouble. If I misunderstood then please forgive me.

Selene

I've thought about disability but I wouldn't know where to start to apply. Oh and the social worker does know that I work, they just don't realize that i'm working overtime (which brings in more money and would therefore get me less financial help) so yeah I guess i'm in the wrong for not telling them, but I don't know what else to do......I don't know how to apply for disability

I've thought about disability but I wouldn't know where to start to apply. Oh and the social worker does know that I work, they just don't realize that i'm working overtime (which brings in more money and would therefore get me less financial help) so yeah I guess i'm in the wrong for not telling them, but I don't know what else to do......I don't know how to apply for disability

social worker should be able to help you apply for disability, i should think. i don't know much about the process in the us. but seems like a social worker would be someone who would help with that. and in a way, i'm surprised the social worker wouldn't suggest that.

i've been told here, when i had to go on private disability because i couldn't work anymore, they said to apply for government disability regardless.. i never did but it sort of makes sense -- though i think canada is different in terms of the application having to start over if you work even for a bit. and i would imagine that while you're applying for disability and can't work, you would have a harder time paying for meds?

i know that stress really sets me off. i'm trying to find ways of coping with stress and part of that is finding supports to help me with it. and learning how to really let go of stuff so that i'm not losing sleep and revving up and making bad choices and screwing things up because i get so heady and impulsive from worrying so much.. and then crashing. or things going well and working up into frenzy and overcommitting and overinvolving and promising and extending to the point that i can't deal anymore (stressing myself out). blah.

i am working temp. it's a good way to go for me because i can tell them that i want only short assignments, which means i can take breaks in between to regroup if needed. i'm slowly gaining endurance and may eventually get a full time job, but the main thing right now for me is that i'm stable on medication (lamictal and lexapro), and honestly, if i were on an AAP everyday, i don't know if i could handle working.

i hope you can work it out. the most important thing is your health and getting stable, and it sucks that this can be so damn expensive. the stress of having to pay for health care doesn't help with stress levels.

don't work another day beyond what is alowed by medicaid.

If you're working, your employer is paying taxes on you and reporting your hours worked to the IRS. Being on medicaid and/or collecting disability while working when you're supposedly not able to is considered defrauding the government. There are assholes who think all disabled people are just being lazy who love to report stuff like that. Every now and then a local news show will follow a disabled person a around to catch them not acting disabled, thereby proving they are stealing form the taxpayers, or some bullshit like that.

A lot of what you need to do depends on what state you're in, but all the info is on the web. If you don't want to publicly say where you are, I'll figure it out and PM you.

Had Lithium ever been tried by you? I mean, the side effects may suck ass, but if it stabilizes you and takes hold of mania, it's totally worth it. There's also always the possibility of going with abilfy rather than seroquel, seeing as it will usually be a bit more stimulating.... Lucky for me, when I met my new pdoc, I spoke so much doctor lingo he probably though that I was one, meaning he'll basically try anything that I wish to. After MUCH trial and error, i'm now stable on 300 mg Lamictal, 800 mg Neurontin 3x day, and Wellbutrin 300 mg. The Wellbutrin is a pretty recent add-on, and after about 2 weeks of using, it's really doing its job. Best of luck to ya!

Thank goodness for you guys opening up my eyes about the government and medicaid. I just called the atlanta office, and since i'm only working part time, I will still receive medicaid for one more year! By then i'm sure my meds will be okay and I will be able to work full time, and have medical insurance. Thank you guys SO MUCH. Crazyboards is way more helpful than my tdoc!

Archived