CrazyBoards.org

So my ultrasound ended up not showing a cyst and a CAT scan showed my digestive track and appendix are normal. But I'm still having terrible pain in my lower left quandrant /pelvic region and a lot of nausea. Now my gynocologist is talking about doing an exploratory laparotomy.

Just wondering if anyone has had this kind of surgery. If so what was the recovery time like? Was it an outpatient surgery or did you stay in the hospital overnight?

Hey Sophia. I have had it done 3 times. It is day surgery done under "light general" anesthesia. They put between 2-3 small incisions in your belly. 1 by navel, 1 by your pubic hairline, and the last by your area of pain. The incisions are less than an inch long and heal cleanly. Recovery time was pretty quick. The anesthesia naseua and gas were kinda sucky. They fill your belly with gas so that they can see your ovaries and uterus, and you have a really bloated feeling for a few days. Pooping is a problem afterwards as you can be really constipated from the anesthesia. So I guess I would put it in the uncomfortable but not awful category. It's good that they didn't find anything on ultra sound or cat scan, major stuff shows up on them. Sometimes you can run into awful pain if your uterus leans forwars or backwards cos it presses on other stuff. Do you have any kina of back problems? Sometimes muscle spasms in your lower back can push stuff forward and cause pain too.

Hope this helped Sophia. I'm here if you have any more questions, unfortunatly I am a gyn pro. Feel better and keep me posted!

Archived