CrazyBoards.org

Is it just me....?

Hi all...

It all started when 2 close relatives of mine passed away within 3 weeks of each other. Although not totally unexpected it was a culmination of lots of time being a caregiver. And then within a year 9/11 happened and well let's just say I broke down crying in my doctor's office and out came the prescription pad for Zoloft. I know people who would say that taking Zoloft is a sign of weakness (and maybe I let that attitude influence) so I was somewhat reticent to start. I thought that I should overcome my anxiety/sadness through diet, exercise, positive thoughts, holistic alternatives, willpower, self-determination, etc. But, heck my nerves were shot and I needed to recharge my batteries.

I thought I could eventurally wean myself off of Zoloft but silly me... hormonal changes one upped me again.

I hated the feeling that I couldn't even shop! Sometimes those aisles made me feel hemmed in. Hello...shopping was my escape, my way to cope! Waiting in line at the post office almost made me go postal.

I went into a pharmacy once that had a black and white checkerboard tile floor and that made me feel uneasy.

I felt I was losing it until I asked my sister if she ever experienced these symptoms and she said: HELL YEAH!

So until I can rely on something other than alcohol or other drugs or hypnosis or meditation, etc...

Here I am--just a girl, 'standing' in front of my fellow members, asking y'all to welcome me.

welcome

do you mean that hormonal changes interferred with you getting off zoloft?

or do you mean that because of hormonal changes, you decided you shouldn't?

anyway, glad you're here.

pj

welcome do you mean that hormonal changes interferred with you getting off zoloft?

or do you mean that because of hormonal changes, you decided you shouldn't?

anyway, glad you're here.

pj

Thanks for the reply ... YAY ... I don't feel like the new kid in school so much.

Oops, I guess I wasn't clear. After several years on Zoloft I started to wean myself off (I know that was dumb!) on my own. I guess I felt I had worked through my grief and that I no longer needed the meds. It was my stubborn attitude thinking I could fight this and it was all in my mind. Even before the Tom Cruise/Brooke Shields debate I felt this way. (I like him but that no "psychotropic drugs" approach didn't work for me).

I was feeling okay, decided to move back to LA which I missed, and then after a couple of years I started getting anxiety attacks (feeling shaky, I would have to run back to the car if I was feeling like I couldn't handle being in a store). I explained all this to my OB-GYN (who isn't the same doctor who originally put me on Zoloft) and she nicely scolded me for going off Zoloft on my own. She explained to me that she has patients who even take it to deal with PMS. And with me being perimenopausal ... she put me back on and LO AND BEHOLD ... I could function again!

I still hold out hope that I can get off Zoloft. Maybe after I do a spring cleaning on my lifestyle and if I went to a holistic doctor it may still happen.

Thanks for asking. Hope to be conversing with you all in days to come.

Archived