CrazyBoards.org

Autism Debate Strains a Family and Its Charity

Oh great. That's really going to be helpful ;)

I am about ready to form my own planet. I spent part of my night arguing with someone who thought reusing water bottles was going to give her cancer, and a friend who still thinks going outside with wet hair gives you a cold.

So...how do I build a rocket ship? Baring that, anyone have a sub-etha sens-o-matic electronic thumb I can borrow? (The vogons can have the freaking place.)

See: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/18/us/18aut...&ei=5087%0A

Can't we all just get along? Apparently not, just like with everything else...

I suspect many of these people looking for someone or something to blame, or pinning their hopes on a scientific cure Real Soon Now, are from the sort of background that the featured family seems to have. They're moderately successful in everything else they do and they just don't have a family history of severe mental or physical illness. They end up being raised to think that things like this just don't happen to people like them.

As a consequence, faced with an irrational world that really doesn't give a damn how deserving of only non-autistic children they think they are, they go a bit insane... and we all know how well "rational debate" goes with crazy people involved!

Yeah null, you're right. They are special and said all their prayers. They don't DESERVE to be inconvenienced! We should just tell these people god hates them. That's why they have an autistic kid. Will that make them feel better? LOL

Yeah null, you're right. They are special and said all their prayers. They don't DESERVE to be inconvenienced! We should just tell these people god hates them. That's why they have an autistic kid. Will that make them feel better? LOL

Clearly they didn't sacrifice enough virgins. That always worked in the old days...

I could blame this all on the severe NTness of these "curies" (and not to mention, they're also conspiracy theorists... and general loons, which may also apply to auties as it does to NTs), and mention that I feel that autistic children are a gift, and not a punishment...

Meanwhile...

SUPPORT NEUROTYPICALITY AWARENESS

I have a window cling "ribbon" on the back of my car saying that (made it myself with one of those printable window cling kits... the ribbon is plain black and white, as opposed to the autie multicolored "jigsaw" design).

I am about ready to form my own planet. I spent part of my night arguing with someone who thought reusing water bottles was going to give her cancer, and a friend who still thinks going outside with wet hair gives you a cold.

I had a physician friend of mine speculate that the latter might be true, as something that cools your head that quickly will lead to a cold protective response (namely excessive mucus secretion), which, when spending time in close quarters all winter, may lead to more trapping of bugs inside you. That's just his two cents, anyways.

I wish all the curebies would just go fuck off.

Let's just stick a wire whisk inside their skulls and shake things up!

woo mutha-fuckin' hoo!

welcome to my world,

now go home.

maddy who is in a not so good post-seizuriffic mood.

If I had a child who is severely autistic, to the point of low-functioning or non-functioning, damn straight I'd want a cure. Barring that, I'd want whatever it takes for the kid to lead as good a life as possible for him or her. And if the kid had HFA or Asberger's instead, wouldn't the goal be teaching him how to better control the world around him?

I don't see how whining about vaccines or studying eugenics would advance those goals.

my verbal is sucking more.

there is a private post of mine that borders upon word salad.

lately i have more images than i have words inside my head.

i have been having a harder time understanding the speaking of people.

reading has been easier.

but now is hard.

maybe better in the moring.

more seizures than lately.

make posts long.

like at night.

Tempting, but there's no use whisking an empty bowl...

If I had a child who is severely autistic, to the point of low-functioning or non-functioning, damn straight I'd want a cure. Barring that, I'd want whatever it takes for the kid to lead as good a life as possible for him or her. And if the kid had HFA or Asberger's instead, wouldn't the goal be teaching him how to better control the world around him?

I wonder how an LFA "autistic savant" type would fit into the picture here. Well, okay, I know that not all (or hell, not even a major proportion?) of LFAs are savants, but it'd be interesting to consider the utility of a savant in today's society.

I also agree with you on teaching HFAs/Aspies about NT-developed societal rules. Honestly, the only major advances I've made in life were due to me being able to fake neurotypicality. The HFA/Asperger know-how skills were just secondary.

The speech and occupational therapists we took our developmentally delayed son to were convinced he had autism. He would take his clothes off in grour when they were supposed to be signing songs. I asked him why he did it and he said "THAT SONG STUNK SO BAD THAT I WANTED TO GET OUT OF MY BODY!) Such wisdom and honesty from a 3 yr old. Then they rolled him on this ball while he was uncomfortable and screaming. They said "Does he always scream like that?" I said only when someones pissing him off needlessly and wasting his time." We took him to a renowned child pdoc who spent 3 hours with him and told us he had ADHD with some speech & developmental issues. He does show signs of autism and bipolar so we keep a close eye on him and have an IEP , too bad the school sucks. I am looking into getting him a school aide. Has anyone done this for their child without a fight from the school? He has to repeat kindergarten and although showing signs of dyslexia, he is interested in learning and the world around him ON HIS TERMS ONLY however. I do what I can to, when he initiates it, and it has been successful. No chaos or rushing and I need to be calm too. He learn by phonics, which his school does not teach. They do sight words and kids are supposed to figure out the sound of word. I would home school if I was mentally stable because the school is lacking in many ways.

Sorry so long on that tangent but meeting a kid on their level doesn't make you a failure or him a failure. Whatever causes autism may never be known for sure. Then what? Prenatal screenings, abortion,selective breeding? I have some autistic qualities that I pass off as my quirkeyness. I finished all my schoolbooks the first month of school, but I could not, for the life of me, understand what the hell the lecture was about. My wit got me a long way, often times not even realizing I was being a smartass. I'll shut up now. My 2 oldest were also immunized & are normal(well, teens will be teens.)

hookt on fonix iz not 4 evry1.

My niece didn't learn how to read until this past year because of that stupid "fonix" bullshit in her school. And she just turned 10 in March. So I know how working with the school can be.

FUCKED UP!

(sorry my meds are kicking in and i'm VERY PISSED OFF at the school right now)

Just keep hammering in how best your child learns and then petition higher up if the IEP team doesn't listen. DOCUMENT EVERYTHING! Bring copies of everything from doctors, therapists, everything. Get copies of whatever you have to get. Never give up original documents unless you get a signed or certified copy.

hope some of that info helps.

sorry if I seem over the edge on some of that, but the red tape folks can be some major dickweeds.

The speech and occupational therapists we took our developmentally delayed son to were convinced he had autism. He would take his clothes off in grour when they were supposed to be signing songs. I asked him why he did it and he said "THAT SONG STUNK SO BAD THAT I WANTED TO GET OUT OF MY BODY!) Such wisdom and honesty from a 3 yr old.

There's always the possibility that, to him, it literally DID stink! One doesn't need synaesthesia or a perception "disorder" to understand a color as having a smell, or a song or sound having a color. For that matter, he gave a pretty good description of what it's like when you're brain-locked with frustration and aren't free to go break something.

Sorry so long on that tangent but meeting a kid on their level doesn't make you a failure or him a failure.

What it makes you is a gentleman or a lady.

Here's a really good article on the whole fucked up mess. Read the last paragraph twice and then look for something to break.

I already had seen stuff about it getting harder to administer vaccines, but not in that specific context. I would consider breaking something if I were the kind of person who broke stuff. Sometimes it's good to have that kind of perseverance, but it's just as good to realize when you're wrong and just give up already. Either come up with something verifiable and trustworthy, or sit down, shut up, and go home.

And there's this charming quote from the comments on a related HuffPo writeup.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arthur-allen...st_b_53233.html

But you know what, pro-vaccine apologists?

Don't hold your breath! Despite your efforts to market them otherwise, vaccines are dangerous and unnecessary, and it's only a matter of time when people will view them with the same whinsy and amusement people view blood-letting with leeches currently: a useless procedure that causes harm and no good.

The simple truth is: childhood diseases dropped dramatically when sanitation systems were installed in the major cities of Europe and America. They simply continued their downward trend uninterrupted when the vaccines were introduced.

Archived