CrazyBoards.org

Cookies, Putrid and Earthy Latex

Guest Nimbrethil

This is odd. All day yesterday I kept smelling crap that was just not possible. All day long in the residence hall I smelled fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies as if I was standing right in front of the oven. Later, for a while I kept smelling something like a blend of fart gas and rotting food. Later it was a combination of dirt and latex. I mentioned that to someone who told me nasal hallucinations are a common side effect of Paxil, but I can't find anything about nasal hallucinations on any official Paxil side effect info.

[Edit: New posts split out to new topic. a.m.

I mentioned that to someone who told me nasal hallucinations are a common side effect of Paxil, but I can't find anything about nasal hallucinations on any official Paxil side effect info.

That may be because isn't a common side effect of Paxil for people who aren't epileptic and haven't suffered closed head injuries.

Better terms to search under might include "olfactory hallucination" and "cacosmia"

You could also have a very sensitive sense of smell, one that's so powerful that you're smelling "tones" that absolutely nobody else does. Whether these "tones" have anything to do with what's around you is something else.

Now, that's all just random speculation derived from my own personal experience... For example, I can only take tap water ice cold because the chlorine smell is overwhelming. Last year, at work, I'd sensed that the building's roofing tar had caught fire, since the second floor reeked of a scent similar to LP gas. A few other sensitive noses were able to smell the burning tar once I suggested it. We called security, who went upstairs and discovered, in fact, that a small patch of roofing tar was indeed on fire.

Now if anything, this syndrome will probably make you a good cook or wine taster. ;)

My hubby once smelled burning rubber for days, wherever he went. His neuroligist(?) said it was some kind of seizure. They checked him out and all was well that they could tell anyway. Never came back, but it sure freaked us out for a bit.

Archived