CrazyBoards.org

What would be the ideal tapering schedule to get off 200mg Lamictal? How long should this take? I know what my pdoc has in mind, but I'm just curious to hear your opinions.

I don't remember the schedule when I tapered off, but it was relatively quick because Lamictal was making things worse instead of better. Ideally you want to taper off at the same rate that you tapered up, usually in 50mg increments every week or two weeks.

I agree, it's usually best to go off it the same way you went on. However, I got up to 100mg, had horrible mood effects and went off cold turkey without any negative side effects. YMMV though.

Is your doctor saying something that you think is completely unreasonable?

I went off it cold turkey at 200. Granted, I had a tube down my throat, but I survived. However--the risk of some sort of seizure disorder, nevermind other complications, would make me nervous about anything other than the reverse schedule of how I went up--if not even slower.

I'm curious as to why you ask, and also what you mean by "ideal"--considering YMMV, I doubt there is a particular ":ideal".

Is your doctor saying something that you think is completely unreasonable?

Pdoc is saying 25mg every month, which is much more slowly than I went on. She's really conservative and I guess this isn't going to be any different.