Jump to content
CrazyBoards.org

Recommended Posts

So I go see my jackass of a doctor and he says "Oh your Lithium levels are high. We better check that again" then nothing on the subject so what does high levels of Lithium lead to?

take care

trg247

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Slightly high levels for a short time probably wouldn't do much.. but if you reach a toxic level it can lead to serious problems..

List of symptoms:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002667.htm

A bit more detail under adverse symptoms:

http://www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-l02.html#Head_6

If you're not feeling the adverse effects, your level is probably ok. With the test, it also matters what time you last took the Lithium.. so that can contribute to a higher than normal result too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd be curios--last time I had my levels checked, my pdoc didn't say "oh they're low"--he tols me they were .5, subtherapeutic. Which is obvious to anyone that has read up on lith. We upped my dose, but I pretty much went toxic--which ZI did when I first started, and we hit that dose.

Now, granted, I'm diabetic and maybe my kideys don't function so well--hence, maybe, the toxicity--but my pdoc gave me the whole skinny, as it were.

Two options: press your doc for more info/action, or find a doc that will be more...forthcoming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hi:

I go back to see my doctor today for the usual monthly appointment. He looks at the report for my bloodwork and goes "Wow your lithium level is high, I mean slightly high...oh it was 14.5 hours since your last dose.......we will recheck it again at the twelve hour mark". Now I figure if it is high at 14 plus hours it is going to be high at the twelve hour mark. This is the second month in a row that my level is high and I am pretty darn sure my next test is going to be high. My doctor is a moron who I am starting to think is trying to kill me.

take care

trg247

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is, of course, your right to asl him what exactly your level is, that he says is "high".

If it is high enough to be in the toxic range (have you checked those symptoms yet?) then it would be...gack, words escape me, if a pdoc let their patient go toxic...then kept them there.

OTOH, of course, if he means "high" as in high range in the spectrum, than things may not be so bad. but do pay attention for symptoms of toxicity--regardless of how you levels measure, as I have experienced, the true test is how you feel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...