CrazyBoards.org

How do people with Agoraphobia get out to the dr?

I don't know if what I'm getting is agoraphobia or extreme social anxiety, but I can't make myself leave the house much anymore, at least not until nighttime when it's dark outside. Which makes me think it's extreme social phobia. I think my Wellbutrin is making it worse. Anyway, how do you go out to see the doctor? I keep cancelling appointments and pretty soon they won't do refills for me at all.

(I send my family to go get groceries, or I get them at Wal-mart at midnight).

I was having the exact same problem not too long ago. I guess my best answer is that the problem was bothering me so much that I felt I needed to make sure to see my pdoc. It was the one safe place I felt I could go to because I believed talking to my pdoc helped. She helped me through the problem, we talked over if I needed any new meds that could help. I did not add any new meds, but keeping my sessions with her during this time did help me with my social anxiety. I made sure to keep my appointments because the thought of truly becoming agoarphobic was scarier than getting up the nerve to see my pdoc.

Erika

Hmmm..interesting thought. That getting full blown agoraphobia is worse than going out to see the pdoc.  I'll think on that. 

In the meantime, I have no pdoc. Last one would only see me once every three months and he started making it clear he didn't want me as a patient anymore because I can't seem to get stable. Now I'm waiting to get into see a new one. There's a shortage - bad shortage - where I live.

Going back to bed now.

Guest Guest

I was EXACTLY this way except my walmart trips were at 4am. I made an appointment with a new pdoc and took a couple of my husband's 5 mg valium--and yes--he dx'ed social phobia and we started xanax and lexapro, dropped the xanax after 2 months and I'm currently playing with the the lex (about 7.5 mgs now due to neck pain) but the general and specific anxiety is gone!  I've also heard of therapists making home visits but for behavorial therapy rather than psychopharmacology  HTH

I'm like that too.  If I didn't have to leave the house for any reason at all, I never would.  Hell, I  wouldn't even crawl out of bed if I didn't have to.  I've called and canceled appt.'s just because I didn't want to leave the house.  I only go out at night, maybe, if I feel like it.  I hate crowds at times, yet I don't mind them.  I get nervous around noisey kids and their parents yelling at them.  I just want to scream at the top of my lungs to all of them to SHUT UP!!!!!  My father doesn't understand me.  He does things all by himself all the time.  I can't.  I hate going out of town by myself too.  If I have to, I will.  I also hate calling and making appt.'s or asking for help, such as calling Welfare for whatever reason, or Community Action or whatever.  I'm scared to do anything.  I've always had someone do these things for me, and it's so so so hard for me to do them for myself.  As a result, I keep pulling back into my cocoon and hiding from the world.  Unless it's the internet.  I don't have any problems with the internet whatsoever. Go figure.

Elizabeth

Yeah, I can relate to pulling back into your cocoon. And the internet - well it soothes my frazzled nerves and drives my family crazy because I use it so often. What is scaring me is this sudden not leaving the house. My husband will definitely divorce me if this keeps up too much. He's an outgoing person; and he doesn't deserve to be pulled down by a total isolater!

I usually take someone with me--most of the time that's my mom.  She can't handle the emotional stuff, but she does an exceptionally good job of making sure I have what I need and helping out whenever/however she can.  If it weren't for her I'd probably be on the streets because I know I'm incapable of taking care of myself.

Bless her tremendous heart for looking after me  :P I really should think of some way to express my gratitude...

In the meantime, I have no pdoc. Last one would only see me once every three months and he started making it clear he didn't want me as a patient anymore because I can't seem to get stable.
Unprofessional and callous bastard! ;) I hope the next one is at least halfway decent.  It's hard to imagine ending up with worse.

I only go out at night, maybe, if I feel like it.

A bag boy at the grocery store once asked me why I'm always doing my shopping so late at night.  Told him I'm a night owl  :) Left out that I'm an agoraphobic night owl. 

Fortunately I enjoy being out at night...it's so peaceful.

I keep pulling back into my cocoon and hiding from the world.

I shut down and withdrawl, turn inwards and ignore the rest of the world, when my stress threshold is exceeded.  I tried explaining this to my tdoc, but she just didn't get it.  Gave me trite and unhelpful advice instead of "hearing" what I was saying (and if I want that kind of treatment I can always go to my mother).  Which makes me think I'd better try extra hard to find a tdoc specializing in BPD.

I think my suggestion would be, for a one-time shot leaving the house, for a positive purpose, drugs are your friend. Take whatever will get you through it. ;) And that's my advice as a seasoned agoraphobe.

• 2 weeks later...

My problem isn't so much leaving the house, it's staying "sane" once I get where I'm going.  I have also noticed a tendency to have racing thoughts, but not of the bi-polar type.  The kinds that wake you out of a deep sleep, when you sleep at all.  Right now just getting to sleep is an effort all in and of itself.  I keep trying to convince my pdoc that there has got to be something that'll help, because the Lexapro isn't at all.  But he'll have none of it.  Won't even offer me anything else to ease the fears.

• 2 weeks later...

We take as many drugs as we can and still be verticle and freak out the entire time any way . My problem isn't being out side its people... I love to climb to the top of the nearby wheat field and look at the stars...Dealing with one person Especially a service person or professional person is a great way for me to have a panic attack. I hate going to the market the worst...all the people and carts and screaming kids...I'm getting a racing heart just thinking about it.

My worst nightmare is the mall during Christmas.

Oh, God. I refer to that as mall psychosis. I go in knowing exactly what I want, get that thing and get out. One thing at a time. Fortunately, I have a small family. And now all the kids are growing up so I can send checks. Yay!

Internet shopping. I love it. And they ship! Oh, yeah.

Grocery stores. Ugh. I try to stay in my own little world and not look at the people. It's hard to limit peripheral vision, though. I could use some of those blinders they use on race horses. Heh.

Shopophobe.

Archived