CrazyBoards.org

I saw a dermatologist recently for acne and he asked if I wanted to try antibiotics. I said sure, thinking 7-10 days... typical antibiotic stuff. Then I filled the script and realized it's a month's worth of pills and I've got like 10 refills. I've got to call him and find out for sure, but anyone know how long you typically take this stuff? You don't really take it forever and ever do you? Had I known that, I'd have told him no way - let's try something topical first (which has worked in the past)!

I don't know if this pertains to your prescription, but one causes severe birth defects if one becomes pregnant. I'm sure it's not but please be sure if you plan (or are) pregnant. Hopefully it's just me being paranoid.

it's accutane that causes birth defects, not antibiotics.

however, doxy does mess with the pill and makes it ineffective, so remember to use a back-up form of birth control.

it can take several months to clear acne through oral antibiotics.

and you have to be very careful on doxy about sun exposure, it makes it easier to burn. and don't take it with dairy or around the time you take your vitamins or around the time you take tums. vitamins, etc. bind to the doxy and make it ineffective.

and make sure to eat yogurt/ take probiotics, of course.

ok, done spouting unasked for advice...

ok, done spouting unasked for advice...

I LOVE your advice - whether I've asked or it or not! Because I DO need to get back on the probiotics for a number of reasons (I hard as I tried to, I just don't like yogurt ... unless it's the frozen variety!).

sunshine - a derma had me on doxycycline for, god, i think at least six months. generally they like to give antibiotics a damn good chance to work before putting anyone on accutane. i had doxy in conjunction with a topical gel, which was basically the ultimate in sunburny awesomeness. i went off the stuff before seeing much in the way of effect, because i was getting nasty headaches, and didn't get much benefit, but lots of people do. it's a long-term treatment, but it's definitely not a Forever Thing.

Well hell... it's Halation! Hi!!!

I knew about the sunburny awesomeness, but haven't tested that effect yet (though I did put a little SPF 8 on while working in the yard today and didn't get burned). I have very fair skin that burns easily, so I know I'll have to be extra careful in that regard.

I'm also on something topical (Metrogel or something like that). Fortunately, I'm already seeing results... I just wish I knew if it was from the antibiotic or the topical stuff (and/or the change in skin care regimen). But six months I can probably deal with. I just need to give him a call and find out what's the soonest I can try stopping it after it all clears up.

Good to "see" you around again!

• 1 year later...

Well in all honesty, depending on how bad your skin is really, the creams should help. I was using a topical treatment first called Differin Gel, which is applied at night before going to bed. Although it does dry out the skin, it really works you just have to remember to mousturize. I have also been on Roaccutane, after being to a dermatologist who prescribed me with it for 6 months; i must say to you- if your acne is really not bad- do not try roaccutane/accutane. It really works and clears your skin, you still get the odd bump on your face, but when using roaccutane you end up with really dry skin, red sores before it starts to actually work, sensativity to light/sun, Dry lips- so much so they peeled and skin came off constantly all the time till i came off it. not only this but you cant wax or anything when on roaccutane. and you then get the last effect which i have gotten over in the last 4 months after finishing the 6 month course, the depression/mood swings, i didnt know what hit me and then i realised that it was the roaccutane.

I have tried the antibiotics too and doxycycline, minomycine, tetracycline all work... to see a lasting effect it will take a good 6 months, it is not automatically going to work though, as all prescribed drugs normally there is a period that it gets worse before it gets better... to start seeing results give it around 4-6 weeks.

but a 6 month course should keep you clear. Also, once you come off it, try using a Vitamin A suppliment, or Retinol. there is also a really good product you can get from your local supermarket from Nutrogena- called Acne Wash, this has Sycilic Acid in it, which helps to clear the skin.. that plus retinol is fantastic. and the cost $20 dollars/ or less!

also another point- the main reason people have alot of problems with there skin, is because they are forever trying all the different products for acne from there local supermarkets, the problem with this is, if you keep chopping and changing all the time, you are mixing chemicals from all the products which creates a layer of oil underneath the skin to build, and eventually your body would like to get rid of it, the oil clogs the pores and thats when we get pimples, by mixing products also you arent giving your skin the chance to breathe or get use to it. Try sticking to one product that seems to work. also- try a microdermabrasion once a week, with makes the effect of the skin seem smooth. Microdermabrasion can be bought from loreal. it is a crystalised scrub that goes on your face and clears all the dirt and clogged pores, leaving you feeling smooth...

All this plus your normal cleanse, tone and mousturise (hint; cleanse twice; cleanse, wash, cleanse, wash, tone, mousturise)should help!!!

Hope this is some use.

Well hell... it's Halation! Hi!!!

I knew about the sunburny awesomeness, but haven't tested that effect yet (though I did put a little SPF 8 on while working in the yard today and didn't get burned). I have very fair skin that burns easily, so I know I'll have to be extra careful in that regard.

I'm also on something topical (Metrogel or something like that). Fortunately, I'm already seeing results... I just wish I knew if it was from the antibiotic or the topical stuff (and/or the change in skin care regimen). But six months I can probably deal with. I just need to give him a call and find out what's the soonest I can try stopping it after it all clears up.

Good to "see" you around again!

Well, it seems at least at the moment that I'll be starting a prolonged course (12-19 months) of either doxycycline or the combo TMP/SMX (aka Bactrim, co-trimoxazole, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (full chemical name/s), Cotrim, TMP/SMZ, Septra, and various other names). Not for acne, but for a GI/blood/neurological infection, but the same rules of long-term therapy might be applying here.

TMP/SMX does have depression as a very rare side effect (though nothing like the quinine-like drugs for malaria and the quinolone antibiotics such as Levaquin and ciprofloxacin), though I apparently should be more concerned about the off-chance of agranulocytosis (suddenly losing a part of my immune system, which is NOT helpful whilst having an infection and trying to treat it).

I'll report on how it goes.

I saw a dermatologist recently for acne and he asked if I wanted to try antibiotics. I said sure, thinking 7-10 days... typical antibiotic stuff. Then I filled the script and realized it's a month's worth of pills and I've got like 10 refills. I've got to call him and find out for sure, but anyone know how long you typically take this stuff? You don't really take it forever and ever do you? Had I known that, I'd have told him no way - let's try something topical first (which has worked in the past)!

i've been on adoxa for over a year, it's the same as doxycyline. it works great for me. minocycline works well too. it takes about a month for it to really become effective but to me it was worth it. i use topicals as well as adoxa. i also take prenatal vitamins as they seem to be very good at clearing up your skin.

antibiotics can be taken for long term courses and for short term.

i've had nothing but good things to say, in my experience, with them.

my dermo has me on doryx, the brand of doxy, it's time-released. she says it works better.... and it actually does. though i missed a week due to various reasons, and the acne popped back up like crazy! but that was only after 2 months on it... i'm hoping that after a few months it will stay gone when i go off it. while it was working, it worked wonderfully. i can't do most topicals, my skin is too sensitive, and i also have body acne, so topicals aren't practical.

so, go doxy, go!....?

• 3 months later...

I have tried doxycycline but the doctor only gave me enough for two months. I thought this was the normal amount and so I didn't say anything. Anyway they did nothing. Have been using the Differin gel for four months and my skin is still very oily and I still have pimples. I shall ask to either try the antibiotic again for a longer time or try something else. Not roaccutane, though.

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone,

my Doc has also prescribed a doxy for me. i have mild acne ...let's say two to three pimples sometime prior to the menstraul period..but it leaves marks behind as brown spots.. i wana go for that but i was hesitant when a pharmasist told me that it might affect the color of the teeth..it might turn to yellowish or darker shades.. has anyone experienced such side effect with doxy? ..or any other side effects?

Thanks

• 1 year later...

i was on doxy for 30 days..2 times a day.it worked for me for 6months..i had no serious side effect..a little nausea though and my teeth didn't turn yellow..but after six months..i started breaking out again..i'm taking it again this time..i just thought that it would be good to give it a break so that my body won't be immune to the antibiotic

go for doxy:)

i was on doxy for 30 days..2 times a day.it worked for me for 6months..i had no serious side effect..a little nausea though and my teeth didn't turn yellow..but after six months..i started breaking out again..i'm taking it again this time..i just thought that it would be good to give it a break so that my body won't be immune to the antibiotic

go for doxy:)

You body does not become immune to the antibiotic, it is the bacteria that builds resistance.

I find the tetracycline antibiotics work best for me and acne, doxy is one of them.

nf

Archived