CrazyBoards.org

Good non-drowsy anti-nauseants?

Does anyone know of any? I'm taking Klonopin and Percocets right now for pain ... and the pain itself is causing nauseau and I'm finding that adding in the medications is really making it hard. I should be taking 1-2 Percocets but all I'm managing is 1/2 at a time because of the nauseau. Still, I need to be able to function and all I have is Gravol and if I add that in too, I think I'll be out like a light. Any suggestions?

I have some Trimethobenzamide (Tigan) that I got from a family member. (Yeah, yeah.. I know)

I haven't tried it for med induced nausea yet, but it works when I'm feeling generally ill. I haven't had any negative reactions or anything from it. Kinda like tylenol - if it works, great; if not, no harm done.

Opiates, like the oxycodone in Percocet, are pretty well-known to cause nausea/vomiting. Last week, my father had a painful stomach flu and they'd prescribed him morphine for his pain and diarrhea. Of course, it also made him vomit severely, and he took one dose and that was about it.

I assume you want to skip me talking about the neuroleptic antiemetics (promethazine/Phenergan et al). Those do knock you out (the one-two punch of blocking your dopamine receptors and your histamine receptors!). Also, they have a small risk of EPS, and in rare cases, NMS. Promethazine, in short, is an antipsychotic that's so weak, it can only be used for nausea/vomiting.

There are also two generally non-drowsy medications that work similarly to Gravol (aka Dramamine) - Bentyl is a drug for IBS that, like Gravol, acts as an anticholinergic to slow down the motions of your GI tract. Oxybutinin (Ditropan) does the same, although it's primarily for urinary incontinence and there aren't any huge studies (or an FDA approval for that matter) for treatment of nausea with Gravol. Both Bentyl and Ditropan are Rx-only.

Since you said you're looking for a true non-drowsy antiemetic, all I can think of now are the new "5-HT3 antagonist" medications, originally approved for chemotherapy-related N/V. Examples include Zofran and Lomotil (there are also several others). Unfortunately, these drugs are all newer (and therefore non-generic and therefore very expensive), so your insurance may not cover them.

anyways, talk to your doc about those meds, and see what comes out of it.

I must say I love zofran had to start taking it for my pregnancy but now I take it for my wellbutrin bc it makes me nauseous..and it works so well, and it doesnt make me drowsy at all!!!

Some insurances wont cover it bc it is an expensive drug, but it is worth a try to get!!!

My b/f takes Compazine to control the severe nausea and vomiting he gets with his migraines. He's never mentioned that it makes him drowsy... but he also is usually taking morphine by that point too (which you'd think would be enough to knock him out, but it doesn't). I took the Compazine once (for mild migraine nausea) and don't remember it making me drowsy, but it is listed as one of the common side effects. I really don't know much about it.

I wish I could remember the name of this OTC syrup I found once. I had the stomach flu and had to go out of town on business. Oh! It was called Emetrol or something like that. It tasted kind of citrusy if I remember correctly. It worked great.

My b/f takes Compazine to control the severe nausea and vomiting he gets with his migraines. He's never mentioned that it makes him drowsy... but he also is usually taking morphine by that point too (which you'd think would be enough to knock him out, but it doesn't). I took the Compazine once (for mild migraine nausea) and don't remember it making me drowsy, but it is listed as one of the common side effects. I really don't know much about it.

I wish I could remember the name of this OTC syrup I found once. I had the stomach flu and had to go out of town on business. Oh! It was called Emetrol or something like that. It tasted kind of citrusy if I remember correctly. It worked great.

Yep, Emetrol it is.

Stuff was basically nothing but sugar syrup for me. When I'm vomiting so hard that I'm about to blow a lung (and this happens a couple times a year, thank you virus-NOS), I generally go for my Remeron.

Well okay, Emetrol IS sugar syrup. With citric acid, which makes it sour (the idea is that this makes your stomach move).

coke syrup has worked better for me than any rx anti nausea med ever.

For some of us, Coca-Cola is even a decent antacid...

Ginger ale is another anti-nausea "home remedy" - ginger has been used as an herbal digestive aid for at least the last 400 years or so. Dispensing with the soda, one can make a tea from ginger root or even powdered ginger. If either of those is too "hot," a gelcap could be packed with the powdered product.

Hm. I just read that a teaspoon of mint syrup can be good for the stomach as well. Aside from creme de menthe, that might be hard to obtain, maybe a mint or peppermint candy cane could do the trick?

Archived