CrazyBoards.org

Excuse me for being stupid

I have questions about what the difference is between these three things.

I think I might experiance some or all of these things, but im not too sure which one would be which.

For example, one time I was at a fete and I was just chillin' watching the people dance. Then all of the sudden it was like I woke up and was still there. It was like coming out of a dream. Is this dissociation?

I guess im asking what it feels like to be in each state. Maybe that way I can identify if I am experiancing any of them.

TIA,

Selene

Hi Selene, I have a wee bit of trouble seperating them all out as well, but here goes.

Dissociation: Is like spacing out, often losing time and not knowing what has been going on or where you have been. That is at the extreme end. Usually you just feel drifty and sort of out of your body, not quite at home, as it were. It is a psychological coping mechanism to separate your self from a severe trauma usually

Depersonalization : Is the feeling that you are not in your own body or parts of you don't belong to you. You may also feel detached from your emotions. it is not a pleasant feeling once the novelty wears off. You often feel like you are looking and experiencing yourself as a stranger

Derealization: Is a detachment from the world around you, it may be suddenly completely unfamiliar to you, you may not recognize family or friend, you may feel like you are in a totally unfamiliar place or reality may just feel like a movie set or fake. It is a very Alice in wonderland feeling for me.

I am lousy at describing these kind of things for most people, hopefully others will chip in and help. I DO hope that I was able to give you a rough idea of what the difference is

Panz

Hi Panz and confused,

Thank you both for your replies.

I think I often experiance the derealization and depersonalization. I dont know about dissociation. Sometimes its like im gone but I dont know where I went. I dont think I lose time though.

Alls I know for sure is that it is a weird feeling to be standing outside of your house and not recognize it.

Selene

Archived