CrazyBoards.org

As pathology goes, as far as I'm concerned addictions ought to be lumped. I mean, what am I addicted to? Alcohol, cigarettes, video games (off and on)... (I just started playing GTA:SA for like the sixth time, heh)

There's too many things that are addictions; anything, I think, can be addicting--to the right personality. And there, I think, it is: addictive personalities in general. What makes us feel good, can be addicting. Admitedly, in some it's more a biochemical reaction to pleasurable stimuli; in others, it's that plus a particular substance that affects the body in whatever way.

There are those who wish to blame video games for some of society's ills--I wonder...were these researchers trying to A:work so that they are blamed or B:give gamers some excuse or even C:were actually impartial? (ha!)

I really think there should be more distinction between physical and psychological additions. They are apples and oranges.

This is mostly UK stuff, but I think compulsive video game playing has more in common with pyromania than it does with heroin addiction.

http://www.psychnet-uk.com/clinical_psycho...l_disorders.htm

It's an adrenaline junkie thing, likely self-medicating.

I've always considered "addictive personality" talk to be more 12-step blaming the victim mumbo jumbo, btw. Why do you scratch an itch? Because it feels good, not because you have a scratcy personality, a character flaw that rules over your life.

I'm virtually certain we'd hear about that on the news if it happened. That's just unbelievable enough without being quite too unbelievable.

I've read that pathological hoarding (the only relevant thing I know anything about) can have several different causes (ADD, OCD, schizophrenia, maybe some others I'm not remembering).

Wikipedia (it was in Wikipedia so it must be true) says that problem gambling is classified as an impulse disorder. Like, its own disorder, although they do required that it not be accounted for by mania.

None have. Compulsive behaviors don't have the same effect on moral agency as physical addictions. That was my point. That's my common response to people who say that SSRIs are addictive as well.

According to the answers.com medical encyclopedia, addictions have the following qualities:

I'd say corruption of moral agent rather than loss of willpower since your actual concept of right and wrong gets reshaped by the addiction.

Anyway.

It's a syndrome. If you don't have all of those, there is no addiction.

Archived