CrazyBoards.org

medical school

resonance

And that's actually true. People who are in medical school and people who are doctors know a fuck lot more than I do about a lot of things, and I'm grateful for it.

But. I don't need a lecture from a bipolar med student doing bipolar research simply on how Wellbutrin can cause hypo/mania, and how bipolar II can be difficult to diagnose because hypomania can be difficult to detect, and antidepressants should never be prescribed without mood stabilizers. When I respond to those by talking further in depth about both in an effort to raise the level of the conversation to where I can actually learn something, and by saying that I'd also heard that antipsychotics were sometimes used as mood stabilizers but many people thought that was a drug company push, and they respond by saying they did anticipate that I had some knowledge of the subject already and that antipsychotics weren't just for psychosis (imagine that!) and she was grouping them under mood stabilizers, I have to go wtf.

GIVE ME NEW KNOWLEDGE. You may know more than I do, so show it. Talk to me like I've got some education here. I'm doing my best to explain it to you.

I hate, hate conversations where my level of knowledge is repeatedly underestimated even when I keep trying to raise the level of dialogue. But more than that, I hate conversations where the other person is under the impression that education is occurring, and that they're educating me, and I'm sitting on the other end bored and hungry for something new. I don't need bipolar 101 here.

I bet the person wasn't trying to educate you so much as reiterate what they had just learned for themselves, if that makes any sense.

She doesn't sound like the intellectual, information seeking type as much as the type who stuffs their head full of book knowledge and then considers themselves educated. It sounds more like you were overestimating her intelligence, rather than her underestimating yours.

And that's actually true. People who are in medical school and people who are doctors know a fuck lot more than I do about a lot of things, and I'm grateful for it.

Exactly.

But. I don't need a lecture from a bipolar med student doing bipolar research ... antidepressants should never be prescribed without mood stabilizers.

Although some may NOT have in-depth knowledge to extent needed in areas they should, which is why they are still students. For example, the above statement. A practicing psychiatrist would more likely say that SSRIs can be prescribed without mood stabilizers but the risks usually outweigh the benefits unless the patient is extremely depressed. Then again, lumping tianeptine, Effexor, doxepin, Parnate, and Prozac all under the same category of usage (and tagged "always") is bad news.

they respond by saying they did anticipate that I had some knowledge of the subject already and that antipsychotics weren't just for psychosis (imagine that!) and she was grouping them under mood stabilizers, I have to go wtf.

Even *I* know they don't work alike. Considering that the other common word for APs is "tranquilizers," I get the impression that his/these students are probably being trained to dope the patients up first, ask questions about functioning never if ever later.

You've gotten new knowledge. You now know to check the diploma on the wall and avoid that school's products if at all possible.

ha, I didn't actually realize this until you asked - she just finished up her first year. I actually thought she was much further along.

Okay. She's not talking down to me. She just doesn't know very much. It's still annoying, but someone who doesn't realize the extent to which there's more knowledge is less annoying to me than someone who does and is baby-talking to me.

I'll let things go with her.

Archived