CrazyBoards.org

occupational therapy anyone?

Okay, I'm bp2. Before I was dx'd, I was really thinking I have sensory intergration disorder, specifically, sensory defensiveness. Now, I am not having any major problems, except getting really agitated by noises, being touched, especially when it is unexpected, strong odors. I was thinking of being evaluated by an OT and wondering if anyone else has seen one or has any knowledge of it helping a person who is bipolar. mel1

i really have no help. but being agitated by noises is farely common from what i have read on this board.  i hate being touched and the noise does not always bother me, only when i am up or down.  so i guess really you are not alone with these feelings.  it may help with the being touch, but i don't think it would help with noise and odor.

I see an OT through the hospital where I'm being treated.  For the first while, I'm told we were in assessment mode.  They soon referred me to another local organization, a "supported employment" program for individuals with physical and "emotional" disabilities, for further assistance in finding a job.  (My current job is physically harmful, totally chaotic, and generally ill-suited to my comfort or even competence.) 

In more recent sessions, there has been a shift towards psychotherapy, though it's more focused than what my usual therapist does.  Actual goals.  Lists of issues to which we both contribute.  Working towards tangible solutions, rather than the meandering insight-based approach my therapist favors.  (I have nothing against insight-based therapy, but it's nice to feel you're walking forwards and not meandering aimlessly through some forest.)

Because they're in the same hospital, my OT and pdoc have been in communication.  My OT therefore knows I'm being assessed for ADD, I'm on the waiting list for the CBT clinic, and that my therapist has just gone on vacation.  For the first couple weeks, our main focus was deciding whether or not I would quit my job and apply for welfare.  Since, there have been biweekly checks on how I'm faring in my current workplace.  Most suggestions made have been impractical, but I considered all of them. 

I'm not sure where this is going to go in the long run, but I do feel occupational therapy has been of assistance thus far (though I'm not sure how much of my experience is "true" occupational therapy).  If this is something available to you (and within your means -- I live in Canada, so this was not an issue), then I do feel it's worth a try.  I am curious, though:  what specifically do you hope to gain by seeing an OT?  What are your personal expectations?  There might be other options to keep in mind.

Archived