CrazyBoards.org

Hello fellow Nutty kids,

Has anyone tried Sam-e?

Yep. Aside from being rather expensive, it left me a bit more somnolent, anergic, and anhedonic on the days I noticed any effect. If you have the sort of depression and/or anxiety that generally benefits from increased serotonin, you would get far more consistent results from an SSRI, and at a lower cost if you have insurance.

However, I guarantee you can find web sites and health food store helpers who will tell you it's far superior to any SSRI or tricyclic antidepressant ever created, because it's natural (On THIS planet it's created in a factory, just like Prozac and Paraquat.) However, you'll likely not find very much professional-grade research on the chemical (Apparently UC Berkeley and the US Public Health Service have looked for it)

It is NOT a side-effect-free alternative to SSRIs, as EVERY medication that works has the potential for side-effects (Let's assume it works, for the sake of this point.) However, it may turn out to be a useful augment to a standard serotonergic medication (In theory, the potential is there.)

Edit: I don't see any indications that it's toxic, or even particularly harmful, at the doses called for by it's proponents.

Oh, and you might want to avoid it if you or your doctor suspect bipolar disorder.

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow Nutty kids,

Has anyone tried Sam-e?

Yes, I took it for about three years. I was misdiagnosed with depression (and I'm actually BPII) and took a number of RX drugs over the years as well as self-medicating with St. John's Wort and later on SAM-e. The SAM-e sent me into hypomania. I read elsewhere that SAM-e may cause hypomanic symptoms even with those who are not BP. I didn't realize I was so far over the edge until I just crashed. I found myself going cold turkey without any meds for a while (took some time off of work), got re-evaluated and now I'm on Lamictal and Omega 3s. I will NEVER self-medicate again.

Archived