CrazyBoards.org

provigil anyone?

I've taken it for fatigue. It helps a little, but not significantly. Check out the CNS Stimulants board - I'm pretty sure Velvet Elvis copied over a bunch of stuff on it from the old board.

Iwas thinking of asking my pdoc about it, because between my seroquel and klonopin and etc.., I am very sleepy ,especially sinceI keep having to increase my seroquel. It takes me awhile to get over the sedation. It's fine now, because I am a teacher and off for the summer. But when I start back in the fall(assuming I get a job-my last principal fired me after I had a nervous breakdown at work and had to take med. leave-"YOU are a very good teacher, but I think you have too many issues to work out"-unquote-)

Here's another question: is it more or less effective than caffeine? And does it have an effect on anxiety? Okay, I know, that was 2. Sorry! ;) mel

It doesn't make me jittery like caffeine does. I've never found caffeine to be particularly helpful for anything, though. I would think it'd be less likely to worsen anxiety than caffeine. Anxiety is listed as a "common" side effect on the PI sheet, but the FDA definition of "common" is way too broad in my opinion.

Here's another question: is it more or less effective than caffeine? And does it have an effect on anxiety? Okay, I know, that was 2. Sorry! ;) mel

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi mel1,

My pdoc gave me some Provigil to try out because of agitation, (my) quiet rage, and lack of motivation. Unfortunately, it was right when I was going off Effexor so I decided to drop it until that was out of the way because I didn't know if it was helping or hindering things.

His thinking on it was that I would get more focused, motivated and something about hitting the creative portion of my brain.  To me, those seem to be the opposite of anxiety....

I'm sorry I don't have anything concrete. I'll probably start up on it again in the next week or so, so I'll let you know.

Ruins

Provigil is generally used as an anti-narcoleptic drug.  Also people who have sleep-shift disorder, excessive sleepiness.  It's still considered investigational for treating mood disorders. 

Provigil generally starts working in a few hours after it's consumed.  It's a class IV drug, which indicates it's possibly addictive.  However, how that's possible I'm not quite sure, as the Cephalon base has a short half-life per dose. 

Anyway, read away:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objec...92EA5ACD24030B2

Just fyi, I've taken Provigil for over a year along with bc and have not become pregnant. I think it's an awfully good drug with few side effects (for me anyway). Helps with wakefulness, depression, focus...

Provigil comes from "PROmotes VIGILance."

This is a wake-promoting agent.  Some classify it as a stimulant, but it is unlike the other stimulants.

It is Schedule IV, because apparently monkeys liked it as much as cocaine.

Airplane pilots are allowed to take it to stay awake during the flight.

Hi mel1,

I've taken provigil on and off mainly for energy. I find it a very tricky drug. It's difficult to dose. Much better for alertness than coffee. Doesn't go well with caffine. Seems to work best when you haven't taken if for a few days. I find it best to split the dose and take 100mg in the morning and 100mg after lunch. Seems to lose effectiveness after a couple weeks. But the first week is great.

To me it feels a little like ritalin. I get a good feeling, energy, but not as much clairity as with Ritalin.

Probably best for people who can't take real stimulants like adderall or ritalin because of bipolar or epilepsy. Would probably work nicely for taking a holiday from ritalin or adderall.

Regards,

Grumpy

There is no direct evidence that Provigil interferes with birth control.  There is a small decrease (11%) in blood levels of estrogen with the drug in a small sample of normal people, but this is not nearly enough to change the effectiveness of the birth control.  If you gained 15 pounds, you might dilute the hormone to the same extent.  Does that send anyone into a panic over pregnancy risk?  The warning is NOT based on increased pregnancy rates.  I think that the company is just trying to cover its ass on this.  The effect has never been demonstrated.

I completely disregarded the warning and now take 400 mg of provigil with hormonal birth control.  No problems for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I just started Provigil and it didn't do anything for two days: 200mg one day, 200 mg next morning... nothing at all.  Then around six PM yesterday it caught up with me and I felt like I was coming down off a bad coke run.  I I never got any more alert than if I hadn't taken it and then it all hit me and I'm still spun out over 24h later.

I'm going to wait until it's for sure out of my system and start with 100mg at a time for a few days.

BTW I'm classified by my pdocs as "medication resistant" insofar as they weren't able to medicate bipolar in me with standard doses of things.  I always took more of whatever than they were used to.  Normal body weight, though.

Archived