CrazyBoards.org

any good experiences with risperdal?

Hi all.

I'm diagnosed with bipolar disorder and ADD, but the past couple of years depression has been my major problem. I've seen two psychiatrists who both have suggested Risperdal. I have to admit, this drug scares me. I try to take the things I read about side effects with grain of salt, but it really seems to me that Risperdal's possible side effects are more severe and more likely than drugs of any other class (except maybe those old-school antipsychotics).

My question is, does anyone here have good stories about risperdal? Particularly as it applied to intractable depression/inattentive ADD-type stuff? I'll welcome the bad stories, too, but I've heard lots of those. Did risperdal help anybody who didn't (currently) hear voices, have crazy manias, or who was diagnosed with Aspbergers?

One doc wanted me to take what he called a "pediatric" dose. It was 0.25 mg going up to 0.75 mg maybe.

I'm still scared. The TD, EPS...and it not going away....dear god. Lactation and the increased breast cancer odds with high prolactin levels? Eep.

Even my (wonderful) therapist says she's seen risperdal work really well for many of her clients. She claimed it helps "organize thoughts". I'm very conflicted about this, because I desperately want my depression lifted, and my mind working again--and I've treid so, so many other drugs, to no avail--but...yikes. Those side effects.

I'm posting this in the depression forum, too, to get their input. So you're not going crazy, you may have just read this, yes. ;)

Thanks for your replies!

It's helped me greatly in the past and I am on it now with now side effects thus far- though of course I've only been on it, at a low dose, for a week. But I have taken it before [ a while ago] and I don't remember any real side effects from it except I think it might have made my breasts hurt. Other than that... nothing.

Oops wait. I lied. I forgot. I was having problems with dysmenorrhea [really bad painful periods] before I was on it and the prolactin levels may or may not have made it worse. [Now I'm on depoprovera and it's not an issue.] But that really should only be an issue mostly for women who have high levels and are experiencing dysmenorrhea to begin with.

I was on Risperdal between the ages of 12 and 15 or around.

It was mainly to replace the Zyprexa that nearly made me a diabetic

It had some weight gain but better than the Zyperxa by leaps and bounds.

I was tired but then again it was a long time ago.

It helped for sure though.

I got so much more stable.

Then I was switched to Abilfy and Lamictal which helped me quite a bit.

I got unstable again but it worked for awhile.

All and all I'd say it helped

Mainly with agitation and my Asperger's issues.

YET....depression too.

I'd say give it a try.

Risperdal has been the only drug (other than Lamictal) that has helped keep me stable. It pulled me out of depression and helped with my rage issues.

Sometimes its hard to chose between the effectiveness of the drug and the SE.

I gained 60 pounds on the Mtabs.

Not with the consta and nothing with invega.

The only remaining SE I have is lactation and it is not as bad as it was when I started it.

Hope this helps,

Selene

I love risperdal and have been on it for a few years with NO side effects. It helps me with mania, obsessive thinking, ruminating thoughts, paranoia, the chatter in my head, anger and probably some other symptoms I'm forgetting. It's worth a try in my opinion. Oh yeah, it also helps motivate me.

I loved risperdal, it organized my thoughts and made me feel in control. It killed off the anxiety and just generally made life livable in the midst of a dysphoric hypo. I could function, I could think and I felt a lot like my old self. It didn't zombify me like Seroquel and Zyprexa and I didn't notice any weight gain. I think it would have helped with the depression as well, because I had more control over my thoughts and could stop ruminating.

Unfortunately, it made me lactate. Right up until that moment it was my wonder drug. It hit upon the only side effect I couldn't live with, I'm not big on feeling like a cow:) I think it creeped me out more than anything because I haven't had any children so it was a totally new and unwelcome experience.

i did love risp for the balance and stability i felt while on it. i also loved the decreased stress levels.

however, on the down side, i put up wtih losing my periods, lactating, and a LOT of hair loss. it got so bad that i had to quit my birth control method and switch to one with more estrogen, stop the risp, and go to abilify. it took 3 months for my body to adjust back to normal. my gyn checked my prolactin and it was through the roof at first, and in a few months went down to a healthy level.

if you're going on it, i advise that you get your prolactin checked at least every other month, and be on the look-out for signs of high prolactin. you'll know it if you have it because of the terrible symptoms (most likely).

it wasn't bad, but did have a high price.

\

there is a new, time released version that is supposed to be a little milder on the side effects. since it is new, i'm sure your pdoc would have a lot of samples and be trying to push it. ask about it.

loon

I took it, and I had some lactation, but it seemed to coincide with the breaks in my BC pills, and it did so much good for me that I took it anyway, having my prolactin levels tested of course. It helped my depression, I tend toward depression, with short bursts of mild hypomania every few months. No TD or EPS at all.

Thank you all for your replies. You helped me make a decision, and I am pretty sure I'm going to try Risperdal this weekend. My doctor listened to my concerns and talked with me about them. She prescribed .25 at night, then seeing how I feel the next day, since tiredness is a big deal with me.

Ya'll rock. Thanks.

i've been on risperdal for a while now (a year maybe?) and it's the only thing that worked for me. my main problem is severe depression, so all my meds are geared towards that and only slightly towards countering manias. i tried every other atypical save zyprexa before my pdoc caved and let me try risperdal (he was concerned about side effects).

i had a little lactation, but that was only when i was on a few other meds that also have lactation as a potential side effect.

sometimes it makes me tired, most of the time it doesn't. i've lost weight since i went on it (after gaining over 100 lbs on seroquel).

Thanks for adding your experience, jmb252. It sounds like your diagnosis and mine are pretty similiar, so it's especially helpful to hear from you. Funny how one doctor can be so concerned about side effects he uses the drug as a last resort, while another (mine) practically pushes it.

Archived