CrazyBoards.org

Hi all.

I'm diagnosed with bipolar disorder and ADD, but the past couple of years depression has been my major problem. I've seen two psychiatrists who both have suggested Risperdal. I have to admit, this drug scares me. I try to take the things I read about side effects with grain of salt, but it really seems to me that Risperdal's possible side effects are more severe and more likely than drugs of any other class (except maybe those old-school antipsychotics).

My question is, does anyone here have good stories about risperdal? Particularly as it applied to intractable depression/inattentive ADD-type stuff? I'll welcome the bad stories, too, but I've heard lots of those. Did risperdal help anybody who didn't (currently) hear voices, have crazy manias, or who was diagnosed with Aspbergers?

One doc wanted me to take what he called a "pediatric" dose. It was 0.25 mg going up to 0.75 mg maybe.

I'm still scared. The TD, EPS...and it not going away....dear god. Lactation and the increased breast cancer odds with high prolactin levels? Eep.

Even my (wonderful) therapist says she's seen risperdal work really well for many of her clients. She claimed it helps "organize thoughts". I'm very conflicted about this, because I desperately want my depression lifted, and my mind working again--and I've treid so, so many other drugs, to no avail--but...yikes. Those side effects.

I'm posting this in the bipolar forum, too, to get their input. So you're not going crazy, you may have just read this, yes. ;)

Thanks for your replies!

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've been on Risperdal so I don't remember the exact dose I was on, but I do remember it worked well. I do know it was a small dose. I had few if any side effects. It really quieted down my head and helped with the depression. My pdoc didn't leave me on it long because, as he put it, it's an unclean drug, whatever he means by that.

Thanks for your reply. I am trying risperdal now, a 0.25mg dose. I don't notice anything good or bad yet, but I am hopeful. Thank you for your input, I appreciate hearing about experiences with this drug more than you, or anyone else who has replied to the topic, can imagine. I am curious about what your pdoc meant by that comment! Hm.

I took risperdal once when I become hypomanic from effexor. It worked pretty well, only took it for a few days but it definately calmed down the racing thoughts. I think the AP's can be beneficial for some people, I would just try to stay on a low dose to minimize side effects.

Cat

Thanks misscat! I'm trying to do just that--low dose. Hopefully a low dose will work; I seem to be that sort of patient that requires large doses of anything. But this is my first antipsychotic (unless you count lithium), so we'll see....

I personally had a bad experience with risperdal. It agitated me and brought all the symptoms back almost immediately. I was hospitalised for 5 days and changed to another medication. Most people seem to find it really good though from posts ive read.

• 3 weeks later...

My question is, does anyone here have good stories about risperdal? Particularly as it applied to intractable depression/inattentive ADD-type stuff?

Well, I am on a withdrawal regime (from everything except Seroquel - dare I say, I am in love with it...sleep sleeeep), and one of the pills is Risperidone (Risperdal). I tried cold turkey, and got the shakes, but another interesting side effect was my thinking...it was all over the map (difficult to concentrate). So, I go back on, and find it easier to dream (a fav passtime). The difficulty I am having, is deciding which pill controls ADD type feelings (Clonazepam or Risperidone). I always thought of Risperidone as a 'dud' medicine, but now I am not so sure. Off it, I feel cranky, difficulty in concentrating etc. In the doses you are suggesting, I don't think you'll will suffer any serious side effects (YMMV). As for depression, I just feel hollow (suspect Clonazepam), so I can't comment on how well it will help you there. The one bright spot, should you accept this mission, is it appears to be easy to withdraw from. Well, compared to Clonazepam (evil drug), I suppose it isn't a fair comparison. ;)

....Well, I am on a withdrawal regime (from everything except Seroquel - dare I say, I am in love with it...sleep sleeeep), and one of the pills is Risperidone (Risperdal). I tried cold turkey, and got the shakes, but another interesting side effect was my thinking...it was all over the map (difficult to concentrate). So, I go back on, and find it easier to dream (a fav passtime). ......

I just wanted to give an update of my attempt to get off Risperidone (Risperdal)...Hell. ;)

I thought I was doing ok, under the circumstances, but the withdrawal effects came to a head today. Normally, I was just suffering from mild-moderate restlessness, and lower abdomen pain...but today, I almost did a 911 call. I am so stupid sometimes. The problem is, is that it creeps up on you, and your at a loss of what to do...duh, take a pill maybe...LOL

My restlessness became a mixed state...can't sit still, while at the same time, wanting to sit still (make sense?). It literally consumed me, and brought me to a very bad space :) . Luckily, a neuron fired off, telling me to take a mini dose of 0.10mg. After dosing, and with effort, I dragged myself out of the house, walked (maybe shuffled) around a few blocks, and magically the mania went away. Maybe it is rebound stuff, or I am really hooped.

Fuck, I am really scaring myself to get clean. I never felt quite this bad before pills. I know I am crazy to be doing this, but I need to feel again....cheers. :cussing:

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I saw a pdoc today, and it got very emotional...I think it set me up for a shitty day.

I should really read my own posts ;) ...after a brief semi-reprieve, 3 days ago, from withdrawal symptoms of Risperidone and Clonazepam, I went full speed ahead and continued on the withdrawal program (No Risp, and 0.25mgx2/day of Clon). The withdrawal got so bad, I went to the Doc, who had zero sympathy (asshole), and remarked that I had severe IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome - I was almost on the floor in his office). He suggested I take Clon 3 times per day (0.25mg). Well, it didn't help. I hadn't really eaten in a week (I would literally force myself to eat around 300-400 calories/day). Great weight loss. Today, I gave up the quest, and took Risp 0.25mg, and laid down...after a two hour nap, I woke up and the IBS was magically gone. I am exhausted after torturing myself for the last several weeks.... :)

All along I thought it was the Clon, but it was the Risp the was causing the severe IBS. I've looked around for Risperidone withdrawal effects, but couldn't find anything...Also, I read somewhere that Clonazepam is the one with an affinity for muscles (bowels being a good spot).

I'm done like toast. :cussing:

Hi,

I was on Risperdal Mtabs, which led to massive weight gain in a short amount of time. Then consta, which worked well at keeping my symptoms at bay. Cleared my head and I could actually think. It also did wonders for my anger.

Now I take Invega which works just as well. So far no weight gain. Lactation just a little bit. I have been on it since January.

Good luck,

Selene

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again,

Has anyone experienced angina pectoris while on Risperidone/Risperdal? I tried tapering off, a couple of weeks ago (way too quckly I might add), but the shakes, tremors, and IBS screwed me up so much, I had to go back on. Funny thing is, I think by doing such a quick taper, I got EPS. So, I just cut back by half, the Risperidone (0.125mg x 2 per day) and the angina pectoris (I'm guessing - dull pain over heart area) went away, as did the mild IBS I've been experiencing. I feel edgy as hell, but I suppose it is survivable. Any of you folks who have been on it for at least a year and had to taper off it, I'd really appreciate some insight as to how long the WD symptoms last for?

Chimpmaster, I'd like to know what side effects you experienced...I really don't want to go to the hospital at this time, but if the angina pectoris comes back, I'm gone...Never experienced such a thing before. I should quit smoking, but I maintain a good weight, and run almost daily.

Thanks

Melli

Any of you folks who have been on it for at least a year and had to taper off it, I'd really appreciate some insight as to how long the WD symptoms last for?

Well, I dropped the hammer and went off Risperidone (Risperdal) last Wednesday. First night, had bizarre awakening, but went back to sleep. Severe IBS the next day, but it improved the following day. By the third day, the mental crap started (shaky, feeling 'off', needed to lie down a lot). By the fourth day (today), I couldn't hold it together and went to the hospital with what could only be described as an anxiety attack (never had one quite like it). They pumped me full of IV fluids, and I shuffled out the door six hours later (note - I had doubled my morning benzo dose, but to no avail). I kind of wanted to be committed for a few days, but no dice. At least if the anxiety happens again, I'll OD on water, and lie down for a few hours and it will pass.

Amazing, I feel much better tonight ( a little crying in the hospital did wonders I think). They sent me out the door with Gabapentin, as I refused ANY AP's. Although, I read the WD effects on this drug; one of which is anxiety...joy. I'm fucking scared to take anything anymore!!! I still have benzos to kick. Night.

Archived