CrazyBoards.org

So F~ing tired

So I went to my boss and told him that sixty hours a week was too much, and they put me back to being a cashier... just under forty hours a week. That's four days at nine to ten hours a day hours are 3pm to Midnight. That gives me three days off a week. That means I get three days of rest... THREE DAYS to get things done. THREE DAYS to sleep. and THREE DAYS to not stress about anything. Sometimes they are consecutive, sometimes they are spread out. But, there are three days nonetheless.

What do I get done? Nothing. Not a thing! I'm too freaking tired! I try to drag my ass out of the house to get stuff done, but in the end, I just end up coming home after and hour and taking a nap. I'm just TIRED! I sleep up to twelve hours a day! When I'm not sleeping, I'm just sitting on my couch or vegging in front of the TV. My daughter, my niece, and my SO want me to get out of the house... everyone wants me to get out of the house, even I want to get out of the house, but I'm too freaking tired to get out of the damned house! Or even to get off the couch. My house is a mess, and I'm behind on my bills - not because I don't have the money to pay them, but because I'm too freaking tired to get to the bank to get the money orders to send them out, and the stamps to mail them. How sad is that? I ran out of food before I carried my ass to the grocery store.

What is wrong with me? I feel like I'm walking around in water. Everything is an effort. I still get mood swings. Yesterday I raged at something my SO said - throwing things around and everything - but it fizzled out after thirty seconds because I became too tired to care. I went into a cleaning spree the day before, but it lasted about half an hour because it just became too much... Now half of my living room is clean. It's driving me crazy and at the same time, I just can't summon the energy to care. I'm not depressed... I know depressed... I'm just TIRED.

I'm barely making it through work. I think they're going to fire me soon. On my next day off, I may put in applications elsewhere. Now that I know I can do cashier work, I'll apply at other stores. If only I can find the energy to do it.

I'm taking a multivitamin. I'm taking Seroquel, (150mg) which I've been taking for years. I'm taking Topamax, (150mg) which I've also been taking for years. And I'm taking Salmon Oil. I take all of this at night right before I go to sleep.

I can't really offer any advice, only empathy, because I'm tired of being tired, too. I feel like I'm only half alive, only semi-tuned into my own life. I'm too tired to give it 100% so I try to coast on about 65% or so. It sucks. ;)

my advice is to go under the ADA and ask for workplace accommodations, wtih the backing of your pdoc. get a free legal counsultation to determine what your rights are, and also to have a relationship with an attorney for in case you are discriminated against. reasonable accommodations include spacing out your hours. as long as it doesn't interfere with work being done and it is possible to arrange your schedule in a way that is better for you medically then they are REQUIRED BY LAW to do it.

i really, really think it is super vital that you are backed by your pdoc, and perhaps even have a letter from him or her stating your need for specific accommodations. sure, you are revealing more than you may want to, but your doctor should only reveal what you are comfortable with your employer knowing. the point is to be official and show you mean business. merely asking for accommodations is likely to get you fired because they'll invent a reason to fire you. it has happened to me a few times and i wouldn't risk it if i were you. you're supposed to be able to just approach your employer and say you have a medical reason for accommodations and they're supposed to comply, but it doesn't work in the real world and is very likely to result in getting you fired, hence the reason to show you mean business by getting your pdoc to write the letter.

also, as i said, have a consultation with an attorney so you understand your rights going in and are prepared for being fired if it comes to them being assholes.

remember, you have rights under the ADA for accommodations. if it means only working 30 hours a week and 6-8 hours a day and no more than that, then if it doesn't totally whack out their business operations in a significant way, then they are required under the ADA to accommodate.

best of luck!

loon

I've done cashiering before. IMO it's a stressfull and demanding job. Perhaps you could do customer service in a less stressfull enviroment, like a call center or as a receptionist? I don't know. Just ideas. Take it with a grain of salt. Maybe a job of some sort that's less physically demanding may help.

I know how you feel. I'm on disability and I basically slog through the days in a semi-daze and get hardly anything done. I know how bad that sucks. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

I am not working right now, and In the summers, I always think I'll get so much done, but I'm too tired now. Usually, I work on my art and take the kids places. But it is such an effort to do anything. I know how you feel. I was a cashier before adn it was not something I enjoed. Maybe you are depressed? I don't know what to say except I understand the tired thing. It sucks.

Yeah, maybe you are depressed. Maybe something your pdoc would like to know about. Or maybe it's a physical problem? Either way, I'd be sure to call your docs and see if they can pinpoint why you are so fatigued. I hope you get some answers, or at least some energy!

I would love to give you a meanig ful, important, thouhtful answer--but today was my day off from my 3 days a weekjob, and I am exhausted, and got nothing done.

Yahn--to bed--china the ever-exhausted

I completely understand being tired ALL the time.

I lay there in bed when its beautiful outside, or when I have a million things to do and all the gods in the universe could not summon me enough energy to get me going.

So what I am trying to say is... I can relate.

Also, when I was on topamax, it was even worse for me (the exhaustion) It made me even more tired than normal. So, that is a possibility?? maybe.

my advice is to go under the ADA and ask for workplace accommodations, wtih the backing of your pdoc. get a free legal counsultation to determine what your rights are, and also to have a relationship with an attorney for in case you are discriminated against. reasonable accommodations include spacing out your hours. as long as it doesn't interfere with work being done and it is possible to arrange your schedule in a way that is better for you medically then they are REQUIRED BY LAW to do it.

That would work if this was a larger business, but it's a small store with limited people, so the rules don't always apply (as I found out with the EEOC on a different case). Since they already have all the people they need for the day shift, they cannot move them around to accommodate me. I was hired to work the night shift, and so it's the night shift I must work. I'm barely making it - financially - working 40 hours, if they cut me to thirty hours, I may as well not be working at all.

They've shifted me to another store because that store "needs people", still night shift, and a slower pace, but it's farther away and an entirely new set of rules and procedures. I'm still freaking tired.

Yesterday, I was going to go apply at a larger department store, a couple of them, but I just didn't get around to it. It's only noon right now, so I think I can pull my sorry ass out the door and get to it today.

Sometimes I think I need to quit entirely, rest for a day or two, and then get to stepping. But something tells me that might not be the best idea.

I've done cashiering before. IMO it's a stressfull and demanding job. Perhaps you could do customer service in a less stressfull enviroment, like a call center or as a receptionist? I don't know. Just ideas. Take it with a grain of salt. Maybe a job of some sort that's less physically demanding may help.

I *used* to be an Administrative Assistant, and I've worked as a Database Manager, but believe it or not, cashiering is less stressful on my joints. I enjoy being a cashier, even though it's half the pay and seems twice the hours. It's not the job itself that's stressing me out, but the 10 hours a day, and the night shift (I believe).

Maybe I can find part time work as a cashier, and part time work doing admin stuff? That might even out the load somewhat? I dunno.

edited to add the last bit without adding another reply

Archived