CrazyBoards.org

New DX and stuff

Just been to the GP for a medical (sort of work related) and couldn't get the certificate issued because of the BP thing (there's a question about psychiatric illnesses). I now have to appeal it and get referred to an independent medical assessor, which is a pain, but I also looked at my medical notes while there. According to their system, I am Mixed Bipolar Affective NOS. Not come across that one before. BP I, II, NOS etc, but not Mixed BP NOS. Anyone else seen this one?

I looked it up and I actually think it is a diagnosis created by some company that provides diagnosis/charting software for physicians. Like, gives you different options on how to document the patient and provides different symptoms to check off. Or it may work entirely different, I don't know. But the diagnosis isn't a diagnosis that is really recognized by anyone outside of that system. You could ask what that means, if you want. If you're really in the mood for some hunting you could track down someone at the company and ask them what the diagnosis means. But again, it depends how the program works. It may just offer options with no real symptomology [word?] to go with it, which is probably the case.

Was your last episode a mixed one? Maybe that is why they decided to use that diagnosis. Who knows, there could be all kinds of reasons.

But, yeah. If you google it, it comes up with a list of codes for various things for a program or something. I went back to the original site and it seems like it's software. I don't know maybe I'm way off.

what kind of certificate are you trying to get?

i have questions over whether you're being discriminated against or not. basically, aside from the military and some medical professions (and i don't even know about those), i do believe that under the ADA you have every right to get a job you are qualified for, just like anyone else. would they discriminate against someone in a wheelchair, or with diabetes? of course not, they'd get their asses sued from here to china. just because you have a psychiatric disability it is somehow accepted, even by us crazy people, to discriminate against us in many areas of society, and it is wrong. it is legally and morally wrong.

i hope that this area you are seeking a certificate in is an exception and that you're sure of your legal rights. you may be able to get a lawyer and, regardless of DX, get your certificate and be able to work in that field like anyone else. so what if you have a DX and are on meds and in counseling to manage your disorder? we take way better care of our health than "normal" people. and look at all those certifiable people who just haven't gone to the doctor to be diagnosed! there are bipolar people and people with all sorts of MI running around, untreated, and afraid that getting treatment would mean having a label that they can't live with.

heck, i have faced so much discrimination in the workplace when i've disclosed under the ADA to employers that i avoid telling them now. i just pretend, when i absolutely MUST say something to excuse appointments, that i have to take my mom to the doctor, or that i have a nervous system disorder. both of those excuses are acceptable in society, but don't dare tell anyone you have BP!!!

in this case, where you have to disclose, go forward with the backing of an attorney, unless it is an area where they can legally discriminate, such as in the military.

best of luck.

and, i have zero idea about what that DX means. my wild guess is that it only means that you experience depression, mixed episodes, and manias, and that your disorder doesn't fall into the traditional catagories.

jsut go wtih it that you're bipolar and don't worry about specifics. as long as your treatment works, then who cares? there is so much about bipolar disorder that isn't known that we shouldn't worry about defining it. not even health care pros can really define it for the most part. we're all NOS really.

loon

Oh, I don't really fit anything, hence NOS. I am mainly BP II, i.e. rarely higher than hypo and I used to rapid cycle, but I have had a few psychotic breaks, and seem to spend more time mixed than manic or hypo.

We have different discrimination legislation here, so I guess I'll have to see what happens. I am a qualified boat skipper, but need the medical certificate to be allowed to skipper commercially. I guess it's a little like being a bus driver or a pilot or something - you're responsible for other people's safety, so they don't want unstable nutters...

Archived