CrazyBoards.org

Feeding an eating disorder online

Ok, I'm NITHER Pro or anit ED websites

And I would like to point out (politely, sometimes opinions don't "sound" the same on the net)

that many sites do now have a section for recovery boards, or at least a warning or two

about the site's content.

Not saying that dosen't make them triggering, just blabbing MHO again ;)

Came back to add that while someone may visit these sites to get triggered,

you can't catch ED's just cause Jill So and So from some Pro site said you could.

There's still that compoent that makes an ED sufferer a sufferer, and not a trend follower.

IMHO, there's still the biological part that makes a lot of differance.

Or maybe I'm just a biology junkie with too much time on my hands ;)

And I'm back AGAIN,lol, to add that it makes me sick the ED's are trendy,

when is MDD gonna be trendy? I mean, beside goth,lol

There are no such thing as "pro-ana" sites. There are only pro-recovery sites and ED-support sites.

Further, Ira Sacker is a moron, as anyone who has cracked a peek at his theories on eating disorders knows. I mean, the man actually published a book using the term "bulimarexia" in the late 80's. Unacceptable. And what's this about "these websites enforce isolation"? The whole damn internet enforces isolation.

And how, exactly, do sites that support all ED sufferers-not just the bright shiny smiley ones who are acting "as if" we wouldn't chop off our right arm to lose 10 lbs- specifically provide a way to avoid treatment? Because, as far as I can tell, the most effective way to avoid treatment is to be an American, because if you're lucky enough to have insurance to cover a program, it's still going to pop you out in 10 days or whatever. . . certainly not the guaranteed 30 days every 6 months of 20 years ago, and certainly nothing like the several months of step-down from intense 12-hr-a-day residential programs to day hospital to IOP to 3 , 2 , once per week.

Further proof that these morons don't know what they're talking about and haven't even glanced at the demographics of the group they're allegedly speaking of? :

Peebles agrees. "Clearly we're concerned that these sites are heavily used and not supervised and that they may adversely impact the health or outcome of children suffering from these illnesses."

Children?! Excuse me? The fastest growing growing groups of DXs for ED's are now women in their 20's and 30's. Prior to that, the primary ages of onset were the years beginning highschool and those starting college. Perhaps Peebles and Sacker aren't aware yet that women are now allowed to receive highschool and college diplomas, vote, and own property. Maybe that's where the the confusion came from.

• 1 month later...

SOOL-- the poster who made that thread already *has* an eating disorder.

Further, there's a huge difference between websites and online-journals. Please don't try to tell me that those journal writers don't have as much of a right to purge their fear, self-disgust and pain as we do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know she already has a problem, and I wasn't talking about personal online journals, and I certainly wasn't talking about a normal support site where the people there consider themselves to have some sort of disease.

I was talking about things like this (note: link to ALOD is dead; link to SA page is not. And the former ALOD is at the bottom.):

Awful Link of the Day

MiAs InNoCeNcE (thanks Girl) - This is one of those sites that I would swear is a joke if there weren't so many other sites like it out there. Mia's Innocence (if you think I'm going to resort to piss-poor punctuation or that stupid alternating caps crap, you need to spend more time around me) is dedicated to supporting Ana and Mia. And just who are Ana and Mia? Well, for those of you who aren't on such a buddy-buddy basis with them, you might know them as anorexia and bulimia. Yes, you're quite right. That is horrible. And so is this site.

Now, promoting anorexia and bulimia is bad enough on its own. I mean, they're called eating disorders. You'd think that right there would be enough to keep a subculture in favor of them from emerging. But this site has so much more going for it. Start with a cornea-blistering color scheme that makes me want to weep blood and any other fluids I can muster, then throw in liberal doses of misspellings and dubious grammar. And let's subtract a few more points for the repeated use of the word "thinspiration."

this is a pro ed site.i dont want anybody here that doesnt have an ed. this is a place where you can come for tips,and talk to others that have an ed and come here for support.this is a safe haven where u will not be insulted for what size you are or for anything else.you can have an ed at any size and age!!!!!fat people are not disgusting.i just want to get that straight with people. if anything, there great thinsperation. and im not forcing you to be here, you have come on your own will. i will not be resposible if anything happens to you. you can make your own decisons. here, i just give you ideas. your the one that follows through. i will not take any credit for any kind of damage and bad health problems.

If you hadn't figured it out, "ed" stands for "eating disorder." And as for the "thinspiration" promised, it comes in the form of helpful tips for getting thin at absolutely any cost whatsoever,...

In addition, there are plenty of pictures to look, both of horribly obese people as models to avoid and skinny people as goals to attain.

[...]

Yes, this site has everything someone with severe body issues could ever want, short of how to build your own liposuction machine....

Does that help? Clarify things, that is?

Okay, but there are very few sites out there like that anymore. 5 years ago, maybe. But not anymore.  And many of these sites-and their visitors- were put up by people hoping to "catch" anorexia, which Cold already mentioned is not possible.

Most of the private forums devoted to ED's that would have been considered "triggering"  several years ago are now supportive sites.

Look, back in my day, we had no internet. We got our ED's walking uphill both ways in the snow. . . 

Okay, but there are very few sites out there like that anymore. 5 years ago, maybe. But not anymore.  And many of these sites-and their visitors- were put up by people hoping to "catch" anorexia, which Cold already mentioned is not possible.

Most of the private forums devoted to ED's that would have been considered "triggering"  several years ago are now supportive sites.

Look, back in my day, we had no internet. We got our ED's walking uphill both ways in the snow. . .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Question: why did the media decide to freak out now? Are they just being foolish?

And I want to add, when people worry about some famous person

who looks too thin lately, they never stop and think how many normal looking/normal weight people thier are with ed's.

Just because I look normal dosen't mean I'm any less in danger

then someone who weights two pounds.

It's a very convenient excuse - to say that the internet is feeding eating disorders, because it means that we can blame them on something else, instead of looking at the way we view young people and subject them to horrific pressures, because that would mean we might have to let some quiet types say something. God forbid we let young women have a serious voice. (Apologies to the ED boys).

yep..people love to find scapegoats, and i think these "pro-ana" websites are simply easy scapegoats for all of this..and great for hype ("OMG look what those girls are doing to themselves!!! and they don't WANT to 100% recover??? how shocking!!)

has anyone been to Makalya's Healing Place??? It's not by any means "pro-anorexia", but is balanced and pro-reality. There are sections talking about pro-anorexia and its role, how it is blamed, etc.

I think that the people who are so shocked by the "pro-ana" websites would be equally shocked by the REALITY of eating disorders, and the nature of the diseases- that often times even when someone is in recovery there are huge parts of them that don't want to give it up. (and even *more* ugly and shocking is the way managed care/the health care system tack such disorders) Yes, the truth might be ugly and frightening.. and the sites might seem very harmful, but there were "pro ana tips" and people encouraging ed's long before those websites existed.

yep..people love to find scapegoats, and i think these "pro-ana" websites are simply easy scapegoats for all of this..and great for hype ("OMG look what those girls are doing to themselves!!! and they don't WANT to 100% recover??? how shocking!!)

has anyone been to Makalya's Healing Place??? It's not by any means "pro-anorexia", but is balanced and pro-reality. There are sections talking about pro-anorexia and its role, how it is blamed, etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I 1st visited the site years ago, and was very pleased to find a calm website,

nice and nutral. (sp).

I think people forget that a large part of us DOSE want to recover.

I can't explain an ED to someone who never had it as well as I would like.

It's like trying to explain to someone blind from birth what the color blue is like.

Just adding on media issue..

Which is worse? A young person logging on to these websites,

or Oprah showing them on TV, all while she was caught up in unheathly

yo-yo dieting, which can be just as devastating on your body as any ED, and some may even call it an ED.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hah..yup.. and then there's the fact that many people found the "pro-ED" websites after hearing about them from Oprah (or similar shows, magazine articles, etc). seems like she was giving them free advertising more than anything  ;)

Just adding on media issue..

Which is worse? A young person logging on to these websites,

or Oprah showing them on TV, all while she was caught up in unheathly

yo-yo dieting, which can be just as devastating on your body as any ED, and some may even call it an ED.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hah..yup.. and then there's the fact that many people found the "pro-ED" websites after hearing about them from Oprah (or similar shows, magazine articles, etc). seems like she was giving them free advertising more than anything

• 1 year later...

Further, Ira Sacker is a moron, as anyone who has cracked a peek at his theories on eating disorders knows. I mean, the man actually published a book using the term "bulimarexia" in the late 80's. Unacceptable.

Sorry, maybe I've misunderstood something here (and I've never read the book you mention) but - what's wrong with the term 'bulimarexia'? If it means what I think it means, then it describes my ED (dx EDNOS) very well indeed.

Archived