CrazyBoards.org

Severe Sleep Deprivation...how to cope?

I could really use some advice. My fiance has had to work non-stop with next to no sleep for about five days now in a very physically demanding job. When he comes home he's fine for about 30 minutes (showers and eats really quickly) but then he just goes nuts. The other night he was throwing paper towel rolls around the apartment because I said they weren't water bottles (he was trying to get water bottles) and he was swearing up and down that they were.

He often goes to bed before me because I work from home and I work quite late...and then when I came to bed last night he really lost it. He was hitting me in my sleep and demanding that I "stock shelves", "get help" and "get to the front of the store". I try to be understanding of how tired he is but I'm getting scared. I couldn't even get out of bed because he pinned me after that and everytime I tried to move I got hurt. So I was up all night exhausted as heck trying not to move.

Does anyone have any advice? will a good night's sleep just fix this for him?

No sleep will make a sane person a raving lunatic. The only cure is sleep. Hallucinations and delusions are not uncommon by going days without rest. This has to stop, he is a danger to himself and others!

No sleep will make a sane person a raving lunatic. The only cure is sleep. Hallucinations and delusions are not uncommon by going days without rest. This has to stop, he is a danger to himself and others!

Thank you for replying. As far as I know, he should be stopping today but it's not a guarantee. It's just been crazy where he works and he's trying to get promoted because I am having such difficulty holding a job due to my MI issues, and he doesn't make enough money to support us both.

I just worry so much because he's driving, and using applicances, shaving etc., and I know that he's not all there. It's like he's a different person/zombie. And there are all these important things that have happened in the last few days that he doesn't even know about that I want to tell him about and can't because it won't register anways.

So I guess the best thing to do is just to let him sleep when this is over, leave him alone, and wait until he's rested to try and talk about any of this? It's just I want to be angry with him because he has been so mean, but then I don't think it's fair to be angry with him because I know this isn't "him". He has gotten some sleep...he had none on Saturday night, and has average 2-3 hours (working 15+ days) since then. Is that enough to cause sleep deprivation? Because in the past I've gone weeks and weeks on only two hours and been fine...but that was due to being unable to sleep from anxiety and other MI issues. Whereas he wants to sleep and can't because of work. So maybe that's what makes the difference?

Yes, that is severe sleep deprivation. Don't confront him about anything, as he's not really "there", as you said. Is there anyway someone else could do the driving? He could kill himself or someone else in his condition.

I am always shocked when people will choose their jobs over their health. Health should come first, because if you are ill, you can't work!

I am having a similar problem with my bf - he is overworked and freaking out (he is bipolar, so it's been horrible).

I guess anyone has a right to do whatever they want to their bodies and live however they like. But when it their choices begin to affect others, especially their loved ones, then they really need to start taking care of themselves.

My experience with jobs is that an employer will work you as hard as you let them. It is up to the employee to establish boundaries with their employer. This happens in all fields, in all economic classes. They can put you under so much pressure, like the world is going to end if you don't show up for work. The employee has to just put his foot down and learn to say 'no'.

- braindead MG

• 1 month later...

That is way, way out of control. You need to contact someone from a hospital. Call the authorities next time....this is NOT NORMAL and NOT ACCEPTABLE behavior. You could sue his work, you could get hurt or even killed. You do realize he may kill you? I"m not trying to scare you...but he sounds like he's majorly hallucinating.-

I just noticed this myself.

In the US it's illegal for someone to be allowed at least 8 hours off between shifts. Canada generally has better worker protection laws than in the US. If he's not being allowed enough time to sleep between shifts, you need to call whatever enforcement agency is responsible for stuff like that.

Archived