CrazyBoards.org

Going inpatient for first time

I finally took the plunge. I'm going to be admitted to a good pschy place tomorrow at 11:00 am. Unless I can't make it through the night. I'm going to my new pdoc(NP) tomorrow at 9am and then off to the hospital. my older sister used to work there and she said it's really good there. I'm not sure how I will tell the dh. He's still not home from work. He worked late and then tells me he's going to help some woman move furniture. That was 2 hrs. ago. I told him that I needed him here because I've had very bad day and it's been hard w/ the kids. I think I'll just leave him a note. off to the loony bin-fuck off.

My mom's taking my kids tomorrow for a few days. So they won't have to deal w/ any drama about me having to go to the hospital. I think that would scare the shit out of them and upset them. I'm not sure what to expect, but my sister said that you can't smoke or have caffeine. That will be really hard. how can i live without coffee and diet coke??

Good for you on doing what you need to do. At the place I was admitted (an Air Force/VA hospital) they took us for walks where we would stop by the soda and vending machines and we could get what we wanted. We could also order coke or diet coke with our lunch and dinner sometimes. They also had a smoking room and designated times that patients were allowed in there to smoke. I think they had to sign out a lighter from the front desk and return it when they were done. Maybe things have changed since your sister worked there?

Otherwise, based on only my experience, expect to have your day structured. They had something going on for us, either group learning, group therapy, crafts, group discussions, etc throughout the day so you couldn't just veg out in your bed all day. You also had to make your bed and wear shoes with tread, i.e. no sandals or flip flops. If you didn't have shoes with tread, you had to wear these sock thingys that had tread on the bottom that they provided.

I was in a room by myself, but it had a second bed, just no one else there at the time. They did also have private rooms.

Good luck and best wishes for you; I hope you get what you need from this.

I've only been in two inpatient psych wards (one of them many times) and they always had smoking breaks. One of them had real coffee until noon and you could only order sodas with meals.

Tommy

PS they also had nicotine patches and gum

I could write a lot about what to expect in a lot of ways, but mainly, they will make sure you don't have anything you can hurt yourself with, and structure your day. You'll have time when you get your meds, time when you eat, time to do what you want, time to sleep, and all of that.

Some places allow smoking and some do not. Some make you wear a patch, and some let you go in a courtyard or something, some have a smoking room, and other variations.

Some places (most actually) make you get a Dr's order before you're allowed to have caffeine! Talk about strict! You're not even allowed to have regular coffee or soft drinks at all the places I've been to except for one.

You're making the best choice. Good luck!

dp

Hey all! Just got back a couple of hours ago. I'm so glad I went. I went in and the first few days I was a mess- sobbing uncontrollaably. We could not smoke, but THANK GOD, there was caffeinated coffee. I reaaaallllly missed my diet coke, though. I tried the patch and it gave me a major panic attack, so I just dealt with it. It wasn't as hard as I thought.

We had group therapy 5 times a day. Everything was very structured, with very little down time (i.e. staying in bed). They would come in your room and say "group time" or dinner time" and you had to go. (Unless you just had ECT, then you were excused.) The people I met there were so helpful. Group therapy was too. I feel happy now. I got med changes, which I'm not sure if it helped that fast or it was geting so much therapy.

I had an appt. w/ tdoc. today and she called and said she was woriied and i could reschedule, etc. When I called her back, she said she would make and appt. for the next day, but I made it for next week becaause I am therapied out!!

My dh came in and had ther. w/ me and he FINALLY got it!

I had an unbelieveable amount of phone calls and family/friend support. I think things are going to be so much better now. I have a lot of hope for the future.

Here's my new med. combo: 15 mg. of Abilify-anyone know anything about it(besides what pdocs and what I've reaad -personal exp.) ; klonopin PRN-.5 mg. (Iwas taking 3 x's aday); and Lamictal 300(same as before)

No more Seroquel. Bad Seroquel-made me gain 45 lbs. (or more-I don't weigh myself anyomore)

I'm glad it went so well.

I take abilify. At first it kept me up at night so I take it in the morning. I don't have many problem with side effects. It's supposed to be weight neutral, but I did gain weight when I had it increased (nothing like the zyprexa I take, though). I take 30 mg. I hope it works well for you. That sounds like a good med combo.

i take abilify, klonopin prn, and lamictal.

i don't know how to describe this. i think you'll agree (probably) that seroquel makes you feel sluggish, and is a heavier feeling med. at least it is for me. that's the only way i can put it. on the other hand, abilify is "clean". you won't notice it, at least i don't. i just notice that i feel better than without it. i think you should do well.

klonopin is a wonder drug for those times when you feel like fainting from anxiety. it is best though for preventing the anxiety in the first place and managing your stress levels. it may make you tired at times while you're getting used to it, but at least for me, the side effect went away after i got used to it. i used to take 3mg on a schedule, and i'm down to 1mg prn after a long hiatus from it.

lamictal is my favorite med in the whole world. i LOVE it. it brought me stability and i think i could make due with lamictal alone if i had to pick one med to survive on. i'd do well on just lamictal i think (even though the whole cocktail is important). it is also "clean". i've heard other people give the opinion that it isn't for them, and some people have side effects, but it has been side effect free for me. my pdoc is always changing me from between 300mg and 400mg. for women, it has to be higher if you're on hormonal birth control. i'm not sure (it isn't clear to me in the literature) if it is only if you start the birth control after you've started the lamictal, or if you're taking it period, but my pdoc and i played around with the doses and this seems to work best for me. i was too awake on 500mg and 200mg doesn't work too well (i got depressed).

i think you'll like your new meds. i like the combo i'm on a lot.

Loon-A-Tik- thanks for the reply. I just realized I can actually type! I have been taking klonopin .5mg TID for almost 3 yrs. Now, I am taking it PRN. I have been going all day without it and then I'll get anxious and realize that -hey- I need my klono.

1 I've also been on Lamictal for 2 yrs. and I agree that it's awesome. I don't ever remember having SE's from it. It didn't make me gain weight. The Seroquel made me so zombified. I can't believe I stayed on it for so long. It's amazing not to feel so drugged out. I won't even go on about the 50 lbs. I gained on Seroquel!

Do you find that the Abilify has helped w/ your anxiety? I think it has, because this is the first time I have been comfortable not taking my klonopin 3 times a day or more. We're almost med. sisters! I can't take wellbutrin. It makes me way manic. I haven't found any AD's that don't, so hopefully I won't have to take them. (Til the next go round!)

Welcome back Mel.

I'm glad hospital went so well for you. Thats very encouraging. And most especially about all the support you got and that your husband has a better understanding. If you feel like doing it, I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate even a short little description of the hospital program and what you got out of it. (Group five times a day? wow!)

best, a.m.

Okay AM! I could go on and on, but I will try not to. Oh, BTW, thanks everyone for the replies. I checked myself in on Thurs. morn. Everyone was really nice and caring. The facility had windows everywhere with beautiful views, even in my room, which I had by myself the whole time. It wasn't that busy, but my sister also used to be a psych. nurse there and they all know and adore her, so I think maybe I got some extra special treatment. When I first got there, all I did was ball my eyes out. I was hysterical. And so were most of the people I was in with ( about 11, I think). I was on the second floor, which is the "higher functioning" unit. They had a snack room, a laundry room, they gave us socks to wear.

Let's see. This was the schedule. They did not allow for much "down" time. You had to be awake and out of bed by 7:30 and they started knocking on doors at about 7:15. Sometimes they would come in at 6 am to take blood. At 7:30, it was time to take vitals and pass out the meddies. Then breakfast was at 8am. Everything was locked down, so you couldn't go anywhere without a person with a key. After breakfast, there was 15 min. before the 9:15 " community group", which was like an informal group therapy where we said how we were feeling and what our goal was for the day. Then it was snack break/ down time until 10:30 when the next group session was. That was for 45 min. to an hour. Each session was conducted by a different person. Counselors, social workers, and one group was done by a tech. After that, lunch was at 11:45.

The food was actually pretty good. And plentiful. I think I gained about 5 lbs.! My bad. Anyway, after lunch was the longest break, an hour. I tried to rest during that time, but that was one of the few times I could get phone calls (no phone calls during group or meals!). Of course, as soon as I would be about to dose off, I got a phone call. I was grateful for the phone calls so it was ok. Then, at 1:15, there was another group session. Then snack break/down time. 3:00 was group again, then snack break/down time til dinner. Dinner was at 5. Oh, after meals, there was an "outdoor patio" where we could breathe fresh air after we were done eating. Sometimes, depending on who took us down, we would get extra "chill time". The meals were our own unique brand of "group therapy". I made some really good friends there.

After dinner, at 6:00 was "wrap-up" group where we told how our day was and what our goal for tomorrow was. 6:30-7:30 was visiting hour. Then vitals and meds. And in between all that, there was counseling with the pdoc, social worker, therapist (all individual and family), meds., phone calls. The weekend kind of sucked because I didn't like the staff or food as much. After visitng hrs, I usually hung out in the social area with the most godawful uncomfortable seats you can imagine. There was one tv w/ cable and a "movie room" with a tv and vcr.

I hope that wasn't too long and was helpful to someone. I know there are a lot of bad places you could end up, I did my research and my sister rec. this place cause she worked there and said it was the best.

yeah, glad to hear it was a positive experience. My crisis center stay was great too, although we only had group 3x a day and were encouraged to help cook, clean, etc...

Abilify made me feel like I had the flu the first few weeks, very tired, dizzy, nausea, then the SE went away and it helped w/motivation, and other symptoms. Didin't turn out to be the med for me, but I hope it is for you! Stay well!

Archived