CrazyBoards.org

I was just taken off of Prozac 40 mg and put on Lexapro 10 mg with 75 mg of Effexor (mainly because I can't withdraw) and was wondering how Lexapro worked for people. I have really treatment resistant depression and so far this is the last SSRI I have not tried besides something like Cymbalta.... which is probably going to be the next thing I ask for if this doesn't work. ;)

alas, like everything else, it's a very individual thing. i never got much benefit from lexapro, but it at the very least did not make my life suck more. even at 20mg, side effects were basically nonexistent, aside from a slight tremor.

zoloft, now. whoo boy. that sucked.

a lot of people really do well with lexapro. anecdotally, i've heard people with a mix of anxiety/depression do well on it. make sure you give it a fair chance, and know that you can up the dose past 10mg if it doesn't work well enough. even if it doesn't turn the trick, you can broaden your sights past the SSRIs. it might be that serotonin just isn't your in-need-of-tweaking thing. you mention effexor; have you tried any other meds?

As usual, YMMV...

but I did extremely well on Lexapro. I went from applying for disability to moving to Asia and working full time.

It worked well for my anxiety and depression. I actually got to the point where I was able to d/c all my meds after 10 years on them. I've been med free for 18 months now.

If it got to the point where I needed to do the med route again, I'd start with Lexapro.

I was only on Lexapro for about 2 months, so my experience may not be as useful to you as that of others.

Pros: Hardly any side effects when starting or tapering (though I tapered over to Prozac). Did make a teeny weeny bit of difference for my major depression within about 3 weeks. Meaning it took me from the numb "I don't give a shit/what's the point of all this?" ;) to the "I care and I'm miserable!" :) state. May not sound like progress, but it was.

Cons: The one side effect that never went away was the sleepiness. And I don't mean a little lethargic...I mean that I would fall asleep if left to my own devices, and any physical activity was draining. My pdoc was convinced it was just depression lethargy or lack of motivation, but I held my ground and explained that I've always been the type who likes to keep busy with something...even if it's just reading. So we switched to Prozac because it was supposed to be more "activating". Sure enough, the awful sedation went away. The other con (for me) of Lexapro was that it didn't do anything beyond that first aforementioned boost at 3 weeks. Mind you, I was in therapy every week during this time as well. Unfortunately, the Prozac also did NOTHING after several months (and increased dosages). So an SSRI just wasn't the thing for me, I guess. I started Effexor a month ago...still waiting to see if this is going to be "the one".

Good luck to you! :cussing:

I'm praying it's not too sedating... I'm already in a bubble! I started with 5 mg yesterday and so far feel ok I guess. A little worried about coming off of Prozac all of a sudden when I was on 40 mg but I guess I'll listen to the pdoc on that one and see. I'd love to give another go-around at getting off this Effexor... I've tried all of the SSRIs... those were her first line of defense because of my anxiety... I have tried Seroquel, Risperdal, Abilify, Klonopin, Ativan, Elavil as well... The only thing that worked for the anxiety has been Xanax but it just puts me to sleep. Seroquel puts me out, Risperdal makes me feel like I'm spinning, Abilify makes me feel like I have the flu, Klonopin and Ativan do nothing at all, and Elavil just makes me sleep. ;)

Lexapro can be very, I mean VERY, good for anxiety. I went from obsessive worrying about the ills that might befall me to being like "this is no big deal, I can handle this (whatever "this" was)". It also worked for my severe depression--for a while. I was on it for 1.5 years and now I'm going on it again.

I'm swapping Cymbalta for Lexapro and I have to say that I didn't find Cymbalta to be any more effective than Lexapro for depression even though it is supposed to be one of the big guns. I suppose this statement would only apply to those whose depression definitely involves serotonin. I am pretty darn impressed with Lamictal's antidepressant capabilities, you might give that one a try sometime.

Lexapro has been generally good for me, the only major side effect has been loss of practically all sex drive and sensation. I was lucky enough to get only very minor versions of other common side effects. I started at 5 and stayed at 10 for about a year but when that wasn't well enough doc upped me to 20 (about a year ago) and things have been generally better. We tried Wellbutrin as an adjunct med briefly but it didn't do anything except make me agitated. Sorry, I don't have experience with other SSRIs as a comparison but I hope you find the right med combo soon!

Took one pill and within half an hour I was zombified and nauseaous. My head swam and I it was like I had to struggle to think. People would say things to me and I would blank them. I kinda knew I should feel frustrated with the sensation but I couldn't feel or think anything, hardly. Been scared to take anti-depressants ever since even though some think I should. Guess I had an extreme reaction.

lex is a good drug. it was milder for me than paxil, like a step down before going to wellbutrin which is the mildest of them (and non-sedating and iwth no sexual side effects) for me, but lex is nice. you should be happy with it. i h ope that of the SSRI class that this one will do the trick. if not, then paxil, IMO, is the strongest of them and should knock out whatever ails you.

lex is calming, has a nice mellowing effect, and is usually non-sedating. i took 40mg of it and was totally fine. i lost a bit of sex drive, but other than that, i was happy with it. i stopped it to go on wb just because wb is milder (for me anyway) and i needed something milder.

lexapro was very, very good for me. it was my first med, and it was the one that probably worked the best. i had almost no side effects that i remember, and it did amazing things for both my depression and anxiety.

a year or two after i started it, it stopped working, though. just no more. i became a wreck again, doubly so because i knew i hadn't changed my meds so i couldn't understand why i had to become depressed again. just thinking about the infamous poop-out is depressing. ;) unfortunately, i think it happens to a pretty fair amount of people. ... although, rereading the other posts... i was 12yo and 110 pounds but i was on 20mg pretty much from the getgo. i'm sure factors should be considered, but that seems like an awfully high amount to start with. and, i couldn't safely increase it after that. hm.

also, you shouldn't give up hope yet. you've been on most of the first-line meds, but there's still options. SSRIs and benzos work for most people, but there are other things also.

best of luck. <3 hope it works.

I started on 10mg of Lexapro, didn't feel any better and got side effects of nausea, dizziness, increased anxiety/ racing thoughts, lethargy. Stuck with it though, side effects left after a couple of weeks and I upped to 20mg.

Been between a month or 2 been on the 20's... Still a bit lethargic, have freaky dreams but no other lasting side effects.

Fortunately has worked great with extrem anxiety and social phobias, finally feel normal on that count. But the bummer is has not helped at all with depression, not even a dent.

It made quite a difference to my depression and anxiety at first. My generalized anxiety has gone away (my social anxiety is still there and quite serious), I still want to die but the emotional pain isn't so bad. I feel kind of numb. I'm planning to kill myself tonight though so obviously it hasn't really worked well enough. Oh I didn't get any side-effects from it.

• 1 month later...

Lexapro helps a decent amount with my general anxiety, but doesn't do a whole lot for my depression. In fact it makes me feel kind of emotionally flat which in turn makes me feel a bit disconnected from alot of friends and family. This paradoxically makes a bit more depressed (though emotions still aren't near as intense). However, with my amount of social anxiety I am pretty much non functional in most work environments because im in a constant panic attack essentially so ive needed to stay on this SOB.

Archived