CrazyBoards.org

Taking Ambien when night-wakings are expected?

I've had horrible problems falling asleep for most of my life...even before the crazy meds. Finally, my doctor prescribed 10mg of Ambien...which I am quite grateful for, since I took it once before and felt WONDERFUL the next day. Anyway, my concern is that we have a 1-month-old son who will "wake" to eat at least 3 times within an 8-hour nighttime period. We DO switch off, so I plan to take the Ambien on my "night off" (when my husband takes care of the night feedings)...but I wonder if I can use it on the nights when it's my turn?

Have any of you experienced problems being woken up during the while under the effects of Ambien? Is this a general no-no? ;)

sorry if this post doesnt make sense, but i am just on my way out to the office...

In my humble opinion, I would have to say that it might not be the best idea in the world to do. i think that you are doing the right thing now by taking the ambien on your "off" days and not on your "on" days. If you take ambien on an "on" day, you can risk not waking up for the baby, being generally our of it, lacking major coordination.... and that is just not safe for the baby. that is just my opinion, though. Either way, maybe you should pursue talking to your doctor to see if there are any other options, like in regard to your regular medication and such (or lifestyle or looking into natural suppliments).

sorry if this makes no sense and/or is not help...

be well...

~Ophelia~

My experience with Ambien is that I can expect a 'hard' 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep. I cannot guarantee that you will awaken or be safe to work with the baby if you do. I have on various occasions had conversations in CB chat I don't remember; ordered stuff on the internet I don't recall; found myself standing at the window looking outside thinking bombs or fireworks had gone off, and fixed and eaten a big salad. ;)

Others here have had unusual experiences with Ambien, most of which lead to the conclusion that one should only take a sleep aid when, as the adverts say "You can dedicate 8 continuous hours to getting a good nights sleep".

a.m.

Well, I went for it last night because I was still wired at 1am (from stress...my parrot has been ill) and really needed to go to sleep. I had no trouble waking when my son needed me, and felt no groggier than when I take clonazepam (0.5mg late afternoon). BUT, I definitely noticed the lack of coordination mentioned above. Thankfully, I was smart enough to have everything I would need right next to the bed so I wouldn't have to get up. When I did get out of bed once to use the bathroom, I was all over the place. I think we woke up about 5 times between 1:30-10am. I was very, very groggy this morning. I definitely don't think I'll bother with Ambien unless it's my night off... at least now I know! ;)

Where's Penny? She has the absolute best Ambien story in the entire universe.

I'm glad your learning experience turned out okay. I had my weird share of ambien crap (much like AirMarshall) and I don't think I would take it again in general. But some people don't have that side effect... and I think it's supposed to be less with CR (but that might not be true). And you didn't say if you were taking CR. So basically, disregard the last couple sentences.

I think sticking to the off nights is a good idea.

I'm not taking CR. In fact, I have the (gasp) generic! Since I've only taken Ambien once before I got this script, I won't be able to tell if there is a difference between brand and generic. I WILL say, however, that the brand had me woozed and ready to pass out within 15 minutes. I was able to clumsily do things for almost an hour after taking the generic last night. Hmmm...

Archived