CrazyBoards.org

I've never told anyone this. I don't know if anyone has ever caught me. I do it when alone, mostly.

I can spend hours in front of the mirror talking into it, holding on long drawn out conversations with other people. But I make up the things that they say, or I make them say the things I'd hope to hear, or even things I don't want to hear. It's like I'm practicing how I'll react to something. I'll make all kinds of expressions, I'll all-out bawl sometimes if it's the appropriate way to take a conversation. I'll hold conversations with my mom, professors, boyfriends, strangers, friends, whomever.

It's more than just practicing a specific speech I plan to give at the shareholder's lunch meeting. If I'm alone, I'm talking to myself pretending to be in a conversation I'll likely never be in. I'm practicing, but not for anything specific. I guess I'm practicing a variety of ways to emote, but it's not like I plan to actually have any of these conversations with the actual people I'm thinking of. I'll do everything, even down to little winks and the way I hold my head. If I like or don't like a certain way I said something, I'll repeat the scene until I get it right, or I'll keep going through it if I enjoyed it.

I know I'm not talking to anyone but myself. I'm not hearing voices, it's nothing like that. I just... talk to myself when I'm alone. A lot.

Is this kinda wacky or what? I've never even told my therapist.

I do this, not in front of a mirror, but I often daydream entire conversations in my head. It doesn't affect what I do or interfere with my life, so I am not too concerned with it. But I'd not be hesitant to tell my tdoc, it might have a meaning. I think that I am under confident and fearful and saying what I think and need the inner rehearsal for security. The better my self esteem gets, the less I do this.

I do this, not in front of a mirror, but I often daydream entire conversations in my head. It doesn't affect what I do or interfere with my life, so I am not too concerned with it. But I'd not be hesitant to tell my tdoc, it might have a meaning. I think that I am under confident and fearful and saying what I think and need the inner rehearsal for security. The better my self esteem gets, the less I do this.

I don't only do it in a mirror, but I like to do it in a mirror so I can see how I look. I'll do it in the car, in my bedroom, while I'm cooking, whenever. Part of the reason I find it so hard to study at home is that I can't stop talking to myself. If I'm in the library I don't do it as much because it will disturb the other patrons. I guess that's a kind of interference, but I can get around it.

I'm not really sure why I do it, but it doesn't seem to ebb and flow. I'm seeing psychiatrist #2 next week so I'll ask him about it.

Oh My God, I thought I was the ONLY one who did this. I mean, I've seem other people do it, but they are having pyschotic breaks and stuff.

I do this mostly if someone upsets me. I replay the conversation in my head (and out loud) a million times, sometimes changing what I or the other person said.

I do it at other times, but I become very OCD about it if I get upset by something someone said or did. I've learned to do it (mostly) in my head because of what other people might think about the crazy lady walking down the street having a convo by her self, to her self.

Thank you so much for your post. Now I dont feel as weird.

Selene

Oh My God, I thought I was the ONLY one who did this. I mean, I've seem other people do it, but they are having pyschotic breaks and stuff.

I do this mostly if someone upsets me. I replay the conversation in my head (and out loud) a million times, sometimes changing what I or the other person said.

I do it at other times, but I become very OCD about it if I get upset by something someone said or did. I've learned to do it (mostly) in my head because of what other people might think about the crazy lady walking down the street having a convo by her self, to her self.

Thank you so much for your post. Now I dont feel as weird.

Selene

I'm glad you're so enthusiastic about this! ;)

I do it to replay upsetting situations, too. I think about things I should have said, what I wished they would have done, all that crap.

I wear headphones and mouth along with the words I'm singing as I walk along. Sometimes I slip up and say something to myself, but most people watching probably think I'm just singing along. I'm so clever.

I did this when I was 17-19 or so, usually driving in the car. I was drinking 12 cokes a day back then (!) and on/off pot smoking plus had stopped taking LSD after a lot of experimenting. I don't know if any of those had anything to do with it, or if the self-conversations had anything to do with future mental problems, but it did at some point start seeming not so healthy to me. I think in some way it was like, not exactly "practice" emoting or relating as my brain just instinctively seeking more emotional interaction than I was getting in my life, like to keep that stuff alive and not atrophied. And yeah I wasn't hearing voices, maybe I even believe that this out loud talking is a similar process to hearing voices but reflecting a somewhat more integrated self that is able to frame it as an intentional game in which you still have full control of the different .. perspectives. But I guess I found it alarming to realize eventually that the different people -- usually 2 or 3 versions of "me" -- really had different veiwpoints and were not all being constructive. Like usually #3 was just mocking the other 2 for the clearly disturbed act of talking to themselves, and saying things like, well, okay, but at least *I* realize this is crazy behavior!

I caught a Star Trek: Next Generation recently where the crew is all going crazy because of some space anomaly or whatever, and Troi is saying how she felt distinct dual selves in Picard. But then she said at first she dismissed this as normal human thought, and Picard said like "Explain." and she said well, you humans, you will ask yourselves is this the right course of action, is this the best decision? And when you ask yourselves such things, who are you talking to?

I've a;ways done this, too--most of the time, I will hear myself in the grocery store--or realize someone is looking at me strangely. I don't so much talk to people as I talk about my life to myself. Maybe thats why I just thought it was a little quirky, not really "a SYMPTOM".

"Dr. Pratt? Come in, come in" To see a film version of the ultimate self-conversation, find a copy of a very old, 60-ish movie with Peter Sellers as a crazy psychiatrist, its call "The Wrong Box". Hysterically funny, Michael Cain, and one of those Victorian-whose-got-the-body? comedies.

China? Come in--come in.

I do this all the time. For me... I don't know if I feel like it's a real problem. I mean, I always thought it was just part of having an over-developed, very active imagination and a rich inner world/daydream ability. It was the same thing- conversations, pleasant and not, with people close to me and not, over important things and really dull things. It's not practicing, I don't think, because like you said... they're conversations that are never going to happen. Sometimes it feels like sharpening anecdotes... but that's as close to "practicing" as it comes.

If it's something you can't control or that bothers you, I think it would be worth talking to a therapist about. For me it's never seemed... I mean, it always seemed kind of quirky and eccentric, but I never thought of it as a problem or symptom of anything... just the way my brain works.

I too talk to myself all the time. I'm not even aware that a lot of times, my lips are moving. I'm sure other people can see it. Oh well.

Yep, me too. At one of my last jobs, I would be moving my lips to both sides of the conversation. I would often see people look at me strange, then I would catch a reflection of my self in the window and realize that I looked like a total moron.

N.J.

"We always carry weapons cause we always carry cash."

china, suffering with the smugglers' blues ("The lure of easy money--its a very strong appeal"

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever have like ten songs playing in their head at once?

It doesn't even annoy me. I'm so used to it. I can actually single out the tunes I really want to hear. Although, I must say, it does suck when there's an annoying tune in my head.

MC

I've never told anyone this. I don't know if anyone has ever caught me. I do it when alone, mostly.

Ever say to your self " Say what Mother F'er, you talkin to me. "

Then walk away before things get worse.

Or the opposite.... make a real nasty face at the mo'fo in the mirror and start this whole big uncontrolled freak out.

That is fun, I have.

I used to do this a lot too. Not in front of the mirror, but all in my head. I would get myself so worked up about things while practicing the worst possible outcome for any conversation I was rehearsing. It seems to have gone away almost entirely since I went on meds for bipolar disorder.

I used to do this a lot too. Not in front of the mirror, but all in my head. I would get myself so worked up about things while practicing the worst possible outcome for any conversation I was rehearsing.

To bad real life can't be rehearsed. Those SOBs, those others ppl never stay with my script, and even if they do, my punch line falls flat on it's face, like oh now what.

I used to do this a lot too. Not in front of the mirror, but all in my head. I would get myself so worked up about things while practicing the worst possible outcome for any conversation I was rehearsing. It seems to have gone away almost entirely since I went on meds for bipolar disorder.

I still do this at times. Not as much as I used to back in the day but, it still drives me nuts.

Archived