CrazyBoards.org

May finally be getting DBT!

I finally got on the wait list for the local DBT group. Had to jump through a lot of hoops but everything looks good, except they are really backed up so the earliest I will get into a group is mid to late September.

In the meantime, I'm going to be seeing a social worker weekly who is trained in CBT and other therapy and who I really like and trust, just so I have someone to talk to and to help me work things out. My pdoc says there should be some DBT workbooks and other things that maybe her and I can start on before I get into the group therapy...just wondering if anyone here can recommend anything?

Here is a search I did on the amazon books based on the name 'Marsha Linehan' who has studied and pioneered DBT. I would recommend the skills training manual for working with a therapist, it is aimed at a therapist and while the handouts and text are helpful, using it alone can cause more misunderstandings than good. It's great to get a headstart, but when I was on a waiting list for DBT and wanted to get books, my therapist advised me not to go too far with it because it would interfere with my learning it at a natural supervised pace in class. I think CBT will help you greatly. I have heard good things about 3 and 4 on the list, but cannot comment on the others.

Archived