CrazyBoards.org

Klonopin dosing...is this a lot?

I currently take Klonopin in the following dose every day: 0.25mg twice daily and 1.25mg at bedtime. Is that considered a high dose? Because it doesn't do much for me other than screw with my memory, but my pdoc says that's due to tolerance which I don't think is fair because I've never though it's done that much for me. I'm wondering whether I should be concerned, because doctors often make me feel like I should be flat out on my butt on a dose like that.

Another thing that concerns me is that because it affects my memory and i'm often so tired, I sometimes forget whether I've taken my nighttime dose and then I get worried that I've taken it twice. Would taking it twice be too much? I mean, I know it could lead to extra drowsiness and things like that...but we aren't talking a lethal dose are we?

I currently take Klonopin in the following dose every day: 0.25mg twice daily and 1.25mg at bedtime. Is that considered a high dose? Because it doesn't do much for me other than screw with my memory, but my pdoc says that's due to tolerance which I don't think is fair because I've never though it's done that much for me. I'm wondering whether I should be concerned, because doctors often make me feel like I should be flat out on my butt on a dose like that.

Another thing that concerns me is that because it affects my memory and i'm often so tired, I sometimes forget whether I've taken my nighttime dose and then I get worried that I've taken it twice. Would taking it twice be too much? I mean, I know it could lead to extra drowsiness and things like that...but we aren't talking a lethal dose are we?

So .25+.25+1.25=1.75, right? That sounds pretty normal. I'm taking 2mg now, but years ago was taking 4mg. I was in group with a guy who was taking 12mg! He couldn't stand it anymore and just stopped taking it. After a couple of days he checked himself in and it took 3 weeks for them to titrate him down safely.

I know what you mean about the memory, really annoying. Because of that I've tried several other benzos here and there, but keep coming back to klonopin. It's far from ideal, but it's sure better than nothing... sigh.

I take 5 mg. klonopin (1+1+1+2 at bedtime) so I don't think you are anywhere near a lethal dose. I didn't know klonopin affected memory. I keep attributing my menory loss to all my ECTs.

Tommy

I take 5 mg. klonopin (1+1+1+2 at bedtime) so I don't think you are anywhere near a lethal dose. I didn't know klonopin affected memory. I keep attributing my menory loss to all my ECTs.

Tommy

Yep, from everything I know, it can be a nasty bugger when it comes to memory. My memory has been shot since I started it. And sadly, apparently it can affect your memory long-term too (I'm hoping not).

I just posted a rather long bit about Klonopin on another topic (check it out if you like), which I won't repeat. I will say, when I finally got off it, I was amazed how much memory functioning returned that at that point I hadn't even known I'd lost, or had chalked up to age (fucking 33!). I also saw a huge increase in sharpness of my senses and a return of creative thought, getting back to guitar after having mostly dropped it in the years I was on Klonopin. As for other aspects of the experience, it hasn't all been so rosy. See my other post.

• 2 months later...
Guest smartdope

That's not that much. I used to take 6mg/day now I take 5mg/day. It also doesn't do much for me. Definitely doesn't knock me out and it never did. It does help with panic attacks but not so much with anxiety. My pdoc wanted me to taper off it. Ahm, no thanks. I don't think getting a panic attack while driving on the highway doing 120km/h is a good idea!

Tom

I recently witnessed the shooting death of my lifelong best friend, like a little brother to me and my doctor has me taking klonopin 1 mg 3 times daily, total 3,g and 10mg diazepam(valium) 3 times a day. I only way 150 so i would think you are in no danger seeing as my dose is higher than yours and valium is more potent than klonopin. always good to be safe though. oh and you could triple your night dose and wake up groggy but defiinately alive.

to answer your question, everyone is different and our bodies are different as to what is tolerable for us, but your dose is low. it's a baby dose compared to what you could take and what most of us take.

it can cause dependency and some memory loss in some people. it can also be one of those drugs that you develop a tolerance to and need more of to get the same effect as time goes by.

i used to take 2mg/day when i first started a couple of years ago, and now take 2-3mg, depending on my day. my memory is already down the tubes thanks to my other meds and my disorders in general, so i don't think klonopin is a culprit there for me. that doesn't mean it isn't for you.

i've quit klonopin cold turkey several times when i couldn't afford the refills, and i just got a headache and felt the symptoms return. my body doesn't have a problem giving it up. but some people need to go inpatient. it's all individual.

but in your case, you'd have to be on a good dose for awhile for your body to get that dependent on it. you could probably stop cold turkey and not feel it, except for the return of symptoms.

Archived